Self Defense - Is it wrong?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Self Defense - Is it wrong?

• Yes it is wrong.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • No it is okay.

Votes: 29 54.7%
  • It is only okay under certain conditions.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DavidLOVESsnow

Mar 4, 2014
If you were to defend yourself by fighting, or somebody else, is it okay? Or should we turn the other cheek, and allow ourselves to be beaten?

I am curious as to the poll results.

I am talking about strictly hand to hand combat, not weapons.

Please post your reasoning for your vote with scripture in the comments.

Thank you for participating.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Defending somebody else...yes.
I'd be less than an infidel if I hid under the sheets while someone tried killing my family for example

1 Timothy 5:8 But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.

That comes under 'providing'...protection.

Last edited:

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
I prefer to talk my way out of a fight and settle things peacefully if possible, but when push comes to shove, I am defending myself. I am not a punching bag. I hit back! ;)

J

JustAnotherUser

There should be a line crossed when 'beaten' while turning the other cheek. Some see it as an advantage to continue to harm the other person and they won't get it until they get a taste of their own medicine... Then again some still may never get it.
-shrugs-

Jan 6, 2012
I grew up fighting, but I never learned to like it. However, sometimes it's necessary to fight physically (best to learn moves where you can end a fight quickly, because I'm not talking about beating a person senselessly). I think it's fair to learn how to defend yourself; and defending someone else is definitely not a bad thing, but you have to know how to make smart decisions and not get in over your head trying to save someone else.

Fenner

Jan 26, 2013
I've only had physical fights with my older brother when we where kids. I am dealing with a friend of my Son's who thinks it's OK to call him names. Frankly I'm fed up with this child. I like his parents a lot and I will talk to his Mom, I've told my son it's OK to tell him to stop. I'm not sure where this child get's this brat streak from but it's probably coming from an insecurity he has with himself. I told my son this.

I want him to learn to deal with people like this, but he doesn't need to put up with it. I told him that friends don't pick on each other when one can do something and the other can't. My son has trouble tying his shoes, he's very frustrated. I know in part because this boy thinks it's funny to call him a girl because he can't tie his shoes. Funny thing is my Son is about 2 feet taller then this kid. I think he feel's insecure that he's the smallest 8 year old in the class and tries to make himself look tough.

There have been other instances and I want my son to look him in the eye, I said even if you have to bend down and say, stop calling me names. I think the kid would stop.

KohenMatt

Jun 28, 2013
I've never had to throw a punch in my life. However,

If someone wants to throw a punch my way out of anger or frustration, so be it. I'd like to think I'd let it go. But if someone wants to keep wailing on me, I'm going to defend myself.

I will defend someone else, but only to the degree it stops.

However, if you touch my family, I will bust loose all sorts of holy hell. Never underestimate the frantic and crazy actions of a man who has no idea what he's doing!:mad:

Jun 3, 2014
Perservation of life.

Self defense without excess is fine.

Murdering someone because they threw a punch is not.

DavidLOVESsnow

Mar 4, 2014
Defending somebody else...yes.
I'd be less than an infidel if I hid under the sheets while someone tried killing my family for example

1 Timothy 5:8 But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.

That comes under 'providing'...protection.
I really like that quote, thanks for the input Crossnote.

DavidLOVESsnow

Mar 4, 2014
Thanks for the responses everyone. It seems everyone has the same perspective I have. I also appreciate the Bible quote from Crossnote.

I just do martial arts to protect people and for sport. Just curious to other people's perspectives on the situation.

May 30, 2014
Bro, defend yourself by all means necessary.

Dec 12, 2013
Concerning my wife, child, friends, strangers, especially Jewish people as well as myself....I will defend with the utmost prejudice and lethality and if wrong I will plead the blood of Christ!

When ole Haman decided to move against the Jewish people and the plot was discovered a new law was given by the Persian King that allowed the Jews to defend themselves...not one Jew was lost and the rest is history which tells me that God was with His people when they defended their little ones and their wives and families etc.!

Oct 31, 2011
There is a fine line between turning the other cheek and taking care of yourself.

There are many principles of truth given in the short books we have in the NT, but the OT gives examples of God principles and even prophet's words to show us how God looks at them. When the Hebrews went into the Holy Land, Joshua was told to kill all who were there! That was because the way they lived was so wicked that if the Hebrews shared the land with them, their wickedness would become part of the Hebrews so all would not have eternal life. Joshua was told it was the only way to protect the Hebrews. It was a holy war, and one God decided on through love to protect His people from eternal death. Only God could decide if this war was right.

We are told to never kill, yet when there are witnesses of a killing for definite proof a person is a killer, we are to protect all other people from the killer by permanently getting rid of him by killing him. We are not to even take the blood of animals without good reason, yet they were told to use the blood of animals for sanctification as a shadow of the blood of Christ.

We are told to turn the other cheek, yet the law of love must enter in including loving ourselves enough not to let someone truly harm us.

K

Kerry

Just two days ago an officer was shot and killed while trying to arrest 3 drunk people at a waffle house. The officers brother was there to meet him. The brother ( not a police officer but permitted to carry a gun) shot the man that killed his brother. The workers of the waffle house were knelt down behind the counter praying in the Spirit. When other officers arrived they told the workers that they felt a presence and that they must have been talking to God. The man that shot the officer had an arsenal in his car and if his brother had not shot the killer there's no telling what he would have done.

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
Turning the other cheek in the bible is referring to civil matters. Not physical fights. Yes, self defense is ok.

Nov 30, 2012
Honestly, we have to look at our spiritual ancestors, the first Christians. They didn't fight back. They went to their deaths willingly.

K

Kerry

Luke 22

35 And he said unto them, When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing? And they said, Nothing.
36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

May 15, 2013
If you were to defend yourself by fighting, or somebody else, is it okay? Or should we turn the other cheek, and allow ourselves to be beaten?

I am curious as to the poll results.

I am talking about strictly hand to hand combat, not weapons.

Please post your reasoning for your vote with scripture in the comments.

Thank you for participating.
Matthew 26:53 Do you think I cannot call on my Father, and he will at once put at my disposal more than twelve legions of angels?

A

Ariel82

I believe self defense and defense of others falls under protecting God's temple:

1 Corinthians 6:19 Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own?

john832

May 31, 2013
Turning the other cheek in the bible is referring to civil matters. Not physical fights. Yes, self defense is ok.
Mat 5:39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

God's way is foreign to our thinking at times. That is because we are still carnal in many areas...

Rom 7:14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.