Settling and being picky

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
G

GRA

I have seen it said on this forum that us single folk (particularly the younger ones) are "just too picky". I agree that there are no perfect people, so for us to look for a perfect person is a futile effort.

But, it made me think: Where is the line between having high standards, combined with "preferences" (are those super important?), and being too picky? How do you not fall into the opposite end of the spectrum where you simply "settle"? What does "settling" mean to you? How do you keep from doing so without being too picky?

I don't know if this makes sense. There is a balance in there somewhere, of having standards but not being too picky, and I'm curious to hear what you CCers think.
What is needed to balance all of this is the honest and sincere belief that there is actually more than one compatible potential mate available in the world ( perhaps - even many ) -- at least one of which, God is willing to bring into your life. Remember - God can do anything. The only questions are - is He willing to give you the companion that you desire to have in your life? - and, what will He decide is the right time / place / circumstances / etc...?

If there is "only one in all the world" -- that is fine, I guess - but, only God knows who she is and He will have to place her "within my reach" - and "show her to me" - and see to it that, when we cross paths - a "connection" is made that will keep us "connected" until we build a relationship that ends up in marriage. ( The point being -- God has to do most of the work until we actually meet and then get to know each other well enough for us to want to stay "connected" in a relationship. ( i.e. - "until the ball is rolling..." - God has to "get the ball rolling" ) )

If there are 100,000 available compatible potential mates -- the same thing applies - only, what God has to do to bring us together is not nearly as "unique" in the grand scheme of things -- and, that - more "doors" may be "opened"...

Looking at it from a Christian perspective -- we must trust God to do what we cannot -- do what we can to "help God help us" -- and, "keep an eye out for the door to open" when God presents / shows it to us. And then - we should "take it from there" - with diligence ( and, continued trust in the Lord, of course - for guidance ) - to 'test' and 'prove' whether or not this is 'the one'...

In any case - I have come to believe that God must / will "have a hand in it" for there to develop a successful relationship that may be sustained for a lifetime.

Needless to say --- we all have 'criteria' for 'must have', 'it would be nice', 'not that big of a deal', etc. type considerations while searching for a mate. Some of us are more "picky" than others.

"To each his / her own..."

It may be necessary for some and not so much for others. God knows us better than we know ourselves -- and, He may actually be using our preferences ( I believe He even "puts some of them in us"... ) to help direct us to the one who He has in mind...

The real point to all that I am saying is ------- it is highly more likely that there are several completely compatible potential mates available for each of us -- as opposed to there being "only one in all the world" - even though God no doubt has His own "priority list" for who would be a better mate... Any one of several potential mates could be just as "workable" in the plan of God for our life.

I know one thing --- I would sure hate to miss out on "the only one in the world" - and, not have another option available...

To put it another way -- in large part - I believe it is about two people deciding that they want to share the rest of their lives together - and, are willing to do whatever-it-takes to "stick together and stay together" - "come what may" - for life --- and the rest is essentially a matter of 'compatibility' and 'preferences'...

The idea of "settling" - I believe - comes from the belief that there is always "a better option" that we "should hold out for" - but, decide to "give up on" - because of impatience or ... ?

Do you not believe that God will put a / the right one in your life? ( 'a' => "one of more than one 'right' ones available" ) And, especially, earlier rather than later? ( Remember that God surely has a "priority list" for you. )

Selecting one of 100,000 available compatible potential mates - each one equally being a God-given blessing for your life - is not "settling"...

It is only "settling" if you make your choice while still believing that there is "one better out there somewhere" -- instead of believing that "this is the one I want"... ( i.e. - "I am not going to look any further - I have found what I need / want" )

And, if there be several "right ones" available -- how much of it all is God's decision and how much of it is ours...??? :eek:

If you find a sufficient compatible match --- someone you can love and cherish for the rest of your life --- what are you waiting for???

The thing to be careful of is - who is God putting in your life - to enhance it -- and who is Satan putting in your life - to destroy it?

"You only get out of it what you put into it. There are hard decisions to make and unavoidable risks to take."

( I really hope all of this makes some sense... )

:)

N

NodMyHeadLikeYeah

Look, is it to much to ask he work at Mc Donalds so i can get free cheeseburgers..

1still_waters

If you're 25 or older, and still single it's because you've chosen to be. (This doesn't apply to extenuating circumstances.)

There are millions of perfectly fine marriable people on this planet. There are hundreds of websites dedicated to single people putting up ads declaring.."Hey I'm single, I want to get married." Access to marriable single people has never been so easy or convenient.

There are plenty of Godly, good, marriable people out there.

So if you're 25 or over and single, it's cuz you want to be single.

N

NodMyHeadLikeYeah

If you're 25 or older, and still single it's because you've chosen to be. (This doesn't apply to extenuating circumstances.)

There are millions of perfectly fine marriable people on this planet. There are hundreds of websites dedicated to single people putting up ads declaring.."Hey I'm single, I want to get married." Access to marriable single people has never been so easy or convenient.

There are plenty of Godly, good, marriable people out there.

So if you're 25 or over and single, it's cuz you want to be single.
Lies.................

J

Jullianna

Did you not mean to put it in the second list? :confused:
As those posting here are Christians (I hope), I did mean to include it, as even picky people surely know they should marry a Christian and list it first. :) Had I not included it, the people might have thought I meant they do not want to marry a Christian.

J

Jullianna

Stilly is telling the truth. I could easily have married the wrong person a couple of times if all I wanted was to be married. Many of us could probably say the same. I'm not married because I didn't want to marry them.

D

Donkeyfish07

If you like them, you can put up with em, and they don't have any major issues that conflict with your moral code/reasonable preferences....why be pickier than that? I could personally be happy with a lot of people if I wanted to settle down. To each their own though.

P

Powemm

two ways to be
Happy or unhappy , thankful or unthankful, supportive or unsupportive..loving or unloving.. when two people "choose"
Life in any two situations? It works .. why? Because death cant survive