Should Christians leave tips for waiters and waitresses?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
L

Lovesong

Yeah...the title says it all. :) Should we tip waitstaff? What amount should we tip them?
YES!
I usually tip 10 percent of whatever I get or even 30 percent if I have a steady paycheck.

I just say that because I got empathy for them. I got to see first hand what it's like to be a waitress who got 2.25/hr
and relied on tips to cover the rest. Not everyone tips and not everyone is kind.

I just want them to be encouraged or to be uplifted, but that's my decision. I feel bad if I can't give something, because I want to bless them.

mystdancer50

Feb 26, 2012
Why do we believe, firmly, that we should tip a waiter/waitress for bringing us food and drink and, ultimately, a bill, and yet many believers who tip faithfully and are irate when others don't tip, refuse to tithe to God? When you ask about it, tempers flare and every defense under the sun rises to cover the not tithing mentality, yet look at tipping and all the reasons we justify giving to a person who didn't create the restaurant, plan the menu, grow or order the food, prep the food, cook the food, plate the food...and so on. Yet, when it comes to our Creator, Father of all, we balk at giving Him a minimum of 10% of our income, which He has blessed us with, the very people He created. All the waiter does is serve. Doesn't God deserve the same courtesy (at least!) that we give a waiter/waitress? Just a thought.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Why do we believe, firmly, that we should tip a waiter/waitress for bringing us food and drink and, ultimately, a bill, and yet many believers who tip faithfully and are irate when others don't tip, refuse to tithe to God? When you ask about it, tempers flare and every defense under the sun rises to cover the not tithing mentality, yet look at tipping and all the reasons we justify giving to a person who didn't create the restaurant, plan the menu, grow or order the food, prep the food, cook the food, plate the food...and so on. Yet, when it comes to our Creator, Father of all, we balk at giving Him a minimum of 10% of our income, which He has blessed us with, the very people He created. All the waiter does is serve. Doesn't God deserve the same courtesy (at least!) that we give a waiter/waitress? Just a thought.
God doesn't need our money like the waiter/waitress.
Seriously, I do balk some when I see the pastor etc., living way above the average congregant...but that's me.

mystdancer50

Feb 26, 2012
I didn't say God needed the money and many waitresses and waiters don't either, as I revealed in a previous post.

L

Lovesong

Well if you don't want to give then don't give if you feel that strongly about it.
i just say if it tugs at your heart to bless someone then do it, if not then don't. No big deal.

i personally don't think anyone is going to change what they do because of what I said...
I'm just saying what I believe out of personal experience.

It's not hard to both tithe and offer a few bucks to someone trying to make a living.
I don't want to toot my own horn but I know it's not a hard thing to do, even with minimum wage job.
When I tithe I know I'll get that back and I do.

i guess it's hard for some people to let that moth fly free out of their wallets...

S

StoneThrower

Yeah...the title says it all. :) Should we tip waitstaff? What amount should we tip them?
I tip with the gospel a tract or a DVD and then give 20% I also like to hand it to them rather than just leaving it lay.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
If anyone is having guilt issues for not having properly tipped in the past, please let me know, and I will be happy to resolve your guilty conscious by accepting the gratuity in place of the waitperson you so direly wronged........ :)

Fenner

Jan 26, 2013

Just saw this and now I understand. :)

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
I too believe we should tip. I confess in younger years at times I did not leave a tip as making minimum wage myself it was special to go out to eat and did not always have enough money to leave a tip. I try now to leave between 15-20% However, for really bad service I have left 2 cents and usually try and leave the reason on the back of the receipt so the person knows what was done wrong and if they can take constructive critique they possibly will improve on the next go round. Fortunately I have only had to do that a very few times.