Should the Name of the Lord Jehovah be in each of the Psalms?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
The Literal Translation, of John 8:58, as is evident also from the text would be: "Before Abraham ever existed, I AM JEHOVAH".
No, it's Before Abraham, I AM

YYHVH isn't in the text. putting it there would be interpretive, not literal.

it should be understood by us if we study, and was immediately understood by the teachers of the Law when He said this, that by saying I AM He was declaring Himself equivalently Yah, in the flesh.

no need to add to the text imo
what's needed is to understand what we read

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
YHWH is translated as "the LORD" in the KJV which indicates that YHWH has been properly translated. This is consistent in the KJV.
yes

kjv is 100% on this.

when you read it, you know that when you read The LORD it is יְהוָ֑ה

JJoseph

Jan 6, 2024
i understand that sentiment and don't disagree :)

Sing unto God,
sing praises to His name:
extol Him that rideth upon the heavens
by His name YAH,
and rejoice before Him!
(Psalm 68:4)​
Underlining mine.

posthuman: exactly.

There are at least some places, where the Bible clearly expects the Name of the Lord to be named, not put as "The Lord".

I think it is tragic that those Jews who've not yet accepted Christ call the Lord Jehovah as "Hashem" (meaning "The Name").

Treating the Good Lord Jehovah, the Good Shepherd, as some kind of voldemort who "must not be named".

And where it gets interesting is, some Exorcisms suggest, Demons cannot pronounce "Lord Jehovah" or "Jehovah is Lord".

If a person says, he's a devout Jew, or a devout Christian, he should prove it by saying "Jesus is Lord", "Jehovah is Lord" etc.

Not by Hashem and a whole host of associate Pharisaic and Talmudic sophistries. Jmo. God Bless.

JJoseph

Jan 6, 2024
No, it's Before Abraham, I AM

YYHVH isn't in the text. putting it there would be interpretive, not literal.

it should be understood by us if we study, and was immediately understood by the teachers of the Law when He said this, that by saying I AM He was declaring Himself equivalently Yah, in the flesh.

no need to add to the text imo
what's needed is to understand what we read
Ok. Perhaps Literal wasn't the right word there, and interpretive would be better.

But in discussions not just with Jehovah's witnesses, but also Jews, Muslims etc, it is better imo that the translation make clear exactly what is being claimed. "Before Abraham, I AM" is cryptic and unclear to most English readers.

Right from Exodus 3:14 where the Lord Jehovah says "I AM" hath sent me to you, He makes clear He wishes to be known by this Name, in part because that is the Name of the True God, as distinguished from every false god, in part because it describes who He is by Nature, the Supreme Being, and for other reasons. I do think "I AM JEHOVAH" would be a fair interpretive translation, and the context of the passage, and the reaction of the Pharisees shows that they understood that. God Bless.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Ok. Perhaps Literal wasn't the right word there, and interpretive would be better.

But in discussions not just with Jehovah's witnesses, but also Jews, Muslims etc, it is better imo that the translation make clear exactly what is being claimed. "Before Abraham, I AM" is cryptic and unclear to most English readers.

Right from Exodus 3:14 where the Lord Jehovah says "I AM" hath sent me to you, He makes clear He wishes to be known by this Name, in part because that is the Name of the True God, as distinguished from every false god, in part because it describes who He is by Nature, the Supreme Being, and for other reasons. I do think "I AM JEHOVAH" would be a fair interpretive translation, and the context of the passage, and the reaction of the Pharisees shows that they understood that. God Bless.
If you simply point your audience back to Exodus 3, that should be sufficient. Either that, or make crystal-clear that you are adding terms for their understanding.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
And where it gets interesting is, some Exorcisms suggest, Demons cannot pronounce "Lord Jehovah" or "Jehovah is Lord".

If a person says, he's a devout Jew, or a devout Christian, he should prove it by saying "Jesus is Lord", "Jehovah is Lord" etc.

1 John 4:1-3​
Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
By this you know the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is of God, and every spirit that does not confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is not of God.
And this is the [spirit] of the Antichrist, which you have heard was coming, and is now already in the world.
:)

Evmur

Feb 28, 2021
London
christianchat.com
For e.g. Psalm 23 would read (quoting it from the NKJV, but with the Name of the Lord Jehovah, whom we praise when we say Hallelujah, inserted),

"The Lord Jehovah is my shepherd;
I shall not want.
2 He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside the still waters.
3 He restores my soul;
He leads me in the paths of righteousness
For His name’s sake.
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil;
For You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil;
My cup runs over.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
All the days of my life;
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord Jehovah Forever."

Also, Psalm 110:1 probably originally had "Jehovah says to Jehovah", that's why it's quoted in the NT so often and the NT writers, including Christ Himself, make ample use of this Psalm. It was a Pharisaic tradition to say we should stop pronouncing the Name of God in the Bible.

Thoughts?
annoying innit ... I am allergic to new translations

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Regarding the Title of this Thread:

Mountain meet Molehill

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
The Book of Esther does not mention God at all. That doesn't mean we should add a bunch of words to make it say God, or any other name.

Books of the Bible were written certain ways to communicate from God to us. God was totally in control of that process. If God wanted to add words or names, it would have been done from the first author. It's bizarre thinking a German word like Yehovah should be randomly added in English, French, German, Ukrainian, Chinese and Korean Bibles. That Bibles in Indonesian, Phillipino, many dialects of Indian need to all add German words that are not in any manuscripts. It is not our job to look for errors and then correct them. Our job is to read the Bible & obey God in righteous and preaching the gospel. Stop wasting our time and yours!

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Books of the Bible were written certain ways to communicate from God to us. God was totally in control of that process

The Books of the Old Testament were written in Poetry form. Did not have Chapters or Verses. Guess we need to rewrite the entire KJV and any other Translation that has Chapters and Verses? Hmm...........

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
The Books of the Old Testament were written in Poetry form. Did not have Chapters or Verses. Guess we need to rewrite the entire KJV and any other Translation that has Chapters and Verses? Hmm...........
with the exception of the Psalms; they are individual 'chapters'

:geek: