Sleeping with multiple women isn't cheating, it's POLYGAMY!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
Wasn't Solomon supposed to be extreamly wise though?
Yes, and was, and is, for God said he could have anything he wanted and Solomon chose how to instruct the people
The story of the two women claiming that the child did not belong to the other, WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So Solomon said to them well lets then cut the Baby in half. And the Mother immediately said let her have the Baby, and thus Solomon hearing God's wisdomof this to say knew immediately who the true mother was
Today this same God lives in the believer you if you berlieve, therfore you have the wisdom of Solomon, because it was not Solomon's, it was God's that taught Solomon and Solomon wrote down what Solomon was taught, for all of our edifications.
I think it be wise to ask God, don't you?

Miss

May 18, 2013
I'm laughing while I read this whole thread, all I can think of is a video I saw on you tube called "sweet brown" if you haven't seen it look it up and as a last word may I say " ain't nobody got time for that" ;)

my_adonai_

Mar 19, 2012
-Is Polygamy a sin, and why? What if they are married under God and believe in their heart it is right, does it still count as a sin?
it is a sin, Read John chapter 4 in context, the samaritan woman who had 5 husbands. the one she was with, the LORD disagreed to her being her husband
also
Rom 7:1 Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth?
Rom 7:2 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.
Rom 7:3 So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.

vice versa is true, the laws of GOD work on both sexes.

-Is there any way a woman could keep from being jealous of the multiple wives her husband has? Could a marriage like this function properly and last long-term?
It will function properly, taking care of ONE lady in ALL FIELDS, from spiritually, to the bed is impossible. Plus what was the GENESIS? did GOD call two eves and one Adam to be ONE, or did HE mention that EVE and ADAM are ONE. two IN ONE that is. not 3 in one.. original plan of GOD was that One man, One wife, any one that breaks this SINs. the LORD JESUS CHRIST mentioned this in Matthew chapter 19.
The responsibility is major, and can have major bad effects on the kids, the wife, and even the kids, kids. psychologically, and other fields of a childs brain. there are parents who can NOT perfect ONE CHILDS health, spiritually, physically even psychologically no matter how hard they try. they always need GOD. and GOD is not a GOD of Adultery..
he needs to dump the concubines, have no dealings with them. and stick with the first. or its Hell.

-What do you think about the more children one man bears, the closer he is to being Godly? Is there any truth to that?
Children are blessings yes, and the word blessing has a definition of "something prompting to happyness", when GOD blesses someone it brings HAPPYNESS to their lives but not necessarily means that they are CLOSE to GOD. Closeness to GOD is shown by how much WE have FAITH WITH WORKS.

- If there is no sex involved with the other women in the marriage, aside from the first wife, is it still a sin?
yup it is still sin, the first wife is the only wife the LORD knows. there are other are his concubines so to speak and that is ADULTERY.

Jun 22, 2013
This is not Gods plan for marriage. The bible says a man will leave his mother and he and the woman will be one flesh. It didnt say he would be one flesh with a whole bunch of women. The men in the old testament with lots of wives were doing wrong, it just took God a long time to straighten them out.

Mo0448

Jun 10, 2013
it is a sin, Read John chapter 4 in context, the samaritan woman who had 5 husbands. the one she was with, the LORD disagreed to her being her husband
Actually this is one of the MOST misinterpreted scriptures of the NT. This woman did not have 5 Husbands. She HAD 5 husbands. Understanding historical and cultural tradition of the time is fundamental in interpreting these scriptures. Firstly, women of that time were not allowed to divorce. In fact they were so low in society that a woman's testimony would not even be taken seriously at court. Knowing that women could not divorce, we can draw two conclusions either these last 4 husbands of hers all died, or they divorced her. I am leaning towards the latter. So if they divorced her and she had no say whatsoever we would have to determine culturally why men would divorce women. If this had happened four previous times we can draw one plausible conclusion, that at that time men were interested in families and offspring, if this woman was barren and could not produce children, we can conclude that this would have been the reason they divorced her. Thirdly, the man the scriptures describe is not her husband, but a man she is living in adultery with (unmarried living together). However, interpreting the culture in respect to the scripture we see this woman as misunderstood. Many did not have the means to provide for themselves, she most certainly would have been one of them. My understanding is she had the choice of starving or living with a man out of wedlock in order to have survive and she made the choice. We also see from scripture she went to get water from the well at a time that no one was there. Normally women would go together to get water from the well; call it a woman's gossip time. She was probably chastised and ridiculed for being a barren woman and therefore did not go with the other women to gather water at the well. All these conclusions can be drawn from interpreting scripture in respect to the cultural context of the time.

I hope this helps

God Bless

Mo0448

Jun 10, 2013
The most important thing is seeing the Grace that Jesus abounds her with regardless. It's such a refreshing thought! Hook me up with some of that Grace Lord Jesus!

my_adonai_

Mar 19, 2012
Actually this is one of the MOST misinterpreted scriptures of the NT. This woman did not have 5 Husbands. She HAD 5 husbands. Understanding historical and cultural tradition of the time is fundamental in interpreting these scriptures. Firstly, women of that time were not allowed to divorce. In fact they were so low in society that a woman's testimony would not even be taken seriously at court. Knowing that women could not divorce, we can draw two conclusions either these last 4 husbands of hers all died, or they divorced her. I am leaning towards the latter. So if they divorced her and she had no say whatsoever we would have to determine culturally why men would divorce women. If this had happened four previous times we can draw one plausible conclusion, that at that time men were interested in families and offspring, if this woman was barren and could not produce children, we can conclude that this would have been the reason they divorced her. Thirdly, the man the scriptures describe is not her husband, but a man she is living in adultery with (unmarried living together). However, interpreting the culture in respect to the scripture we see this woman as misunderstood. Many did not have the means to provide for themselves, she most certainly would have been one of them. My understanding is she had the choice of starving or living with a man out of wedlock in order to have survive and she made the choice. We also see from scripture she went to get water from the well at a time that no one was there. Normally women would go together to get water from the well; call it a woman's gossip time. She was probably chastised and ridiculed for being a barren woman and therefore did not go with the other women to gather water at the well. All these conclusions can be drawn from interpreting scripture in respect to the cultural context of the time.

I hope this helps

God Bless
Thanks man..... Did not know that :).. God bless

Mo0448

Jun 10, 2013
I didn't either listened to a great talk on it. Misunderstood biblical figures blew my mind!

P

prodigaldaughter

Marriage is a holy covenant which God gave to us so that we could understand and value the marriage between Christ and His church. As you see one groom (Christ) and one bride (the Church).

The times in the Old Testament were way different than now. Women did not inherit this why too fathers would try to get the first born daughter to marry and then the others after so that she would not be bypassed. So sometimes marriages were not based upon love but on an agreement so that the woman could be provided for. King Solomon had many wives yes but his marriages were agreements between other kingdoms. If a man married and he died his brother would marry his wife so as to take on the responsibility for his brother to ensure that his brother had an heir.

This raises another thing to consider he had so many wives that his heart turned away from God and as a result he had to pay for such. The only reason that the line of succession was not stopped was due to a promise God made to his father that is King David.

If you look at the few times in which polygamy was mentioned for example Abraham, Jacob, David, Solomon look at the troubles it brought the men. The bible provides wisdom on every area of our lives for as it is written there is nothing new under the sun.

It is one of the lies of Satan that there is a imbalance in the ration of men against women. His aim is to destroy not to build.

my_adonai_

Mar 19, 2012
and reading from this, i think those 5 husbands where dead. Speaking from the LORDs that HE is the LORD that expects HIS law to be followed, who ordained that MAN should be married to ONE WOMAN, i believe HER husbands DIED. thus being free from the law, and thats why the LORD said YOU HAVE "HAD" 5 husbands, past tense. and divorcement been not accepted by the most HIGH i believe from HIS eyes, those husbands where DEAD.
Joh 4:17 The woman answered and said, I have no husband. Jesus said unto her, Thou hast well said, I have no husband:
Joh 4:18 For thou hast had five husbands; and he whom thou now hast is not thy husband: in that saidst thou truly.

and yes the one she was living with right now, by some reason she did not want to marry for a certain reason. probably due to the fate that happened to her latter husbands.

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
This is not Gods plan for marriage. The bible says a man will leave his mother and he and the woman will be one flesh. It didnt say he would be one flesh with a whole bunch of women. The men in the old testament with lots of wives were doing wrong, it just took God a long time to straighten them out.
Well the twelve tribes have one Dad and more than one woman, read it, and I am not saying this to be right, but man had more than one wife back then and all were consensual