TATTOOS

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
I

InkedFaith

What i don't understand is why is it that people only site something that proves their ideas correct and ignore everything they feel doesn't apply to them but then turn around and say their belief isn't bias to themselves.

Sevndust

Jan 15, 2006
ahh finally someone who might have a light!

J

JimM1228

What i don't understand is why is it that people only site something that proves their ideas correct and ignore everything they feel doesn't apply to them but then turn around and say their belief isn't bias to themselves.
i hear what youre saying. ive come to a conclusion myself that it is up to the person. you have to pray and really think about it. My opinion, dont add to Gods image. but that wasnt always the case. i dont need to put up a verse to support me but i have thought alot about it and prayed and thats what i will now go by because i feel that is what God has shown ME. as for anyone else i cannot speak for nor tell what to do.

S

snugpug240

the reason i started this thread was because i wanted to get a tattoo and i wasnt 100% sure about it. i wasnt going to get one unless i was positive that it was ok to do so. i wanted God to give me the green light. but after reading all of your posts, i dont feel like getting a tattoo is right for me. ive been praying about it and i still feel completely unsettled about it. God is not giving me the peace that i need to b able to follow through. i like the analogy Joshua830 used, "If your body is a temple then getting a tattoo is like putting graffiti on a church." i agree with that statement. why mark up our beautiful bodies that way? why not b thankful for how God made us and rejoice that he made us in his image! isnt Jesus our role model?! did he have tattoos?! and why not?! do tattoos enhance what God has already given us?! if not, then why get them?! im absolutely not trying to make anyone feel guilty whatsoever, so please please please do not misinterpret what im saying in that way. im simply thinking out loud. in addition, ive told several people at church that i was thinking about getting a tattoo and not one of them supported me. i told my parents, and ma freaked and pulled out the "obey your mother and father" commandment...does that truly apply here?! im also conflicted in that, i am not going to get a tattoo but i find that i am attracted to males with tattoos...is that me being a hypocrit?!

J

JimM1228

the reason i started this thread was because i wanted to get a tattoo and i wasnt 100% sure about it. i wasnt going to get one unless i was positive that it was ok to do so. i wanted God to give me the green light. but after reading all of your posts, i dont feel like getting a tattoo is right for me. ive been praying about it and i still feel completely unsettled about it. God is not giving me the peace that i need to b able to follow through. i like the analogy Joshua830 used, "If your body is a temple then getting a tattoo is like putting graffiti on a church." i agree with that statement. why mark up our beautiful bodies that way? why not b thankful for how God made us and rejoice that he made us in his image! isnt Jesus our role model?! did he have tattoos?! and why not?! do tattoos enhance what God has already given us?! if not, then why get them?! im absolutely not trying to make anyone feel guilty whatsoever, so please please please do not misinterpret what im saying in that way. im simply thinking out loud. in addition, ive told several people at church that i was thinking about getting a tattoo and not one of them supported me. i told my parents, and ma freaked and pulled out the "obey your mother and father" commandment...does that truly apply here?! im also conflicted in that, i am not going to get a tattoo but i find that i am attracted to males with tattoos...is that me being a hypocrit?!
i dont think that you are a hypocrite. sometimes you cannot help what you are attracted to. BUT and thats a big BUT if you are to follow all of Gods word, what you stand for must also flow through all of your actions. you can teach yourself to look more towards other guys etc... we are not to be unequally yoked. if you date a guy with tats and you dont like them on you then conflict is sure to come about,,,

I

InkedFaith

I normally date girls with only one or no tattoos, that is not the conflict. Normally the conflict is the attention I draw. But I refuse to push that anyone else should or shouldn't get them. I made a choice and i stand by it. When I pray the God i am praying to has settled my heart that people treat you weird for having tattoos and they treat you weird for following the word of god. So we are only what god steers us to be and each has their own path. I just get thrown for a loop when people try to evangelize to me, and don't believe when i tell them i study and follow the Word.

Jan 16, 2011
Hello all,
i have been born again for about 2 years now and this is a subject i have seen come up alot. i personally have Galations 2:20 tattoed on my arms recently. ” Christian tattoos may be “permissible,” but are they beneficial and constructive?
Hi JimM1228,

I'm only going to comment on the tattoo Galations 2:20 that you do have on your arms:

You picked a really powerful verse. And by so doing, you've served the Lord - and are continuing to serve Him - in a very special way. Good for you, my friend, and blessings to you!

- Jaynee

D

DragonslayerDi

well welcome to Jesus! And also I want to say they are not wrong :) here:
Are Tattoos Truly Taboo?

4/13/08

Are Tattoos Truly Taboo?

Grace and peace to you in the precious Name of Messiah. There are many topics of discussion which remain controversial within the collective Assembly of the saints, and one of these is the matter concerning tattoos (body art). The main reason for this is the Scripture from Leviticus (Wayyiqra) 19:28, which is translated by some sources as saying, "And do not make any cuttings on the flesh for the dead, nor put tattoo marks on you. For I am Yahweh." However, please allow me to point something out to you which is relevant and important :

This sacred Scripture is being taken to extremes by the majority. Rather than singling and pulling it out of the surrounding passage, we must keep it within it's proper context in order to fully understand it's true meaning and purpose. Likewise, it is very possible that there is an erroneous translation occuring here within most Bible versions, which I will explain shortly. Step back a little and look at a bigger piece of the whole, which says,

"Do not eat meat with the blood. Do not practice divination or magic. Do not round the corner of your head, nor destroy the corner of your beard. And do not make any cuttings on the flesh for the dead, nor print tattoo marks on you. For I am Yahweh. Do not profane your daughter by making her a whore, so that the land does not whore, and the land becomes filled with wickedness. Guard My sabbaths and reverence My set-apart place. I am Yahweh. Do not turn to mediums, and do not seek after spiritists to be defiled by them. I am Yahweh your Elohim." (Leviticus (Wayyiqra) 19:26-31)

First of all, where it is "translated" in error as, "print tattoo marks", within the original Hebrew, the words really say, "nathan qa'aqa", which specifically means : "put or make cuttings, incisions or gashes". Personally, I don't see anything which directly specifies any body decor nor artwork here at all. Secondly, within this passage's historical and Spiritual context, Abba Yahweh is speaking to the sons and daughters of Yisrael in a loving manner to teach and command them to not partake of any of the religious and occultic practices of the surrounding pagan tribes. The prohibited practices specifically include the eating of bloody meat, fortune telling (divination) and other various aspects of occultic magic, certain haircuts which were related to the priests of false cults, cutting or marking the body for dead relatives, cultic prostitution, and consulting demon channelers and psychics.

The cutting of the flesh as mentioned within this passage specifically relates to the pagan rite of mourning where they would take knives and cut incisions and gashes into their skin. It was universal among the pagans during a time of bereavement and intense mourning of a loved one to make deep gashes into their faces, arms and legs, and it was seen as a sign of respect and honor to the departed dead, as well as to provide life blood (which is filled with living energy) to the spirit of the dead. Likewise, it was a sort of propitiatory offering to the dieties who presided over death and the grave.

After having said all this, even though the Scripture doesn't specifically state it, it is logical to conclude that it is indeed immoral to have any tattoos made which are done in honor and reverence to any of the millions of pagan dieties all over the world in various cultures. In all things, we should glorify Yahweh in our bodies (which are His Temple) in the spirit of Love, by faith through grace. This is why both me and my beloved wife have had our tattoos done in honor of ONLY Him and each other, being based not on paganistic religious practices, but upon our love of Him, Yisrael and also our divine covenant as one in being only devoted to the other. We refer to the Scriptural passage in the Song of songs (Shir haShirim) 8:6, 7a,

"Set me as a seal upon your heart, as a seal upon your arm; Forlove is as strong as death, jealousy as cruel as Sheol; It's flames are a Flame of Yah, a most vehement Flame. Many waters cannot quench love, nor can floods drown it."

It is very sacred and beautiful to use our bodies as vessels of honor which glorify the Most High Yahweh and His Ruach(Breath/Spirit). He is Love and the divine pulse of it emanates from His heart and flows from it into ours and each other's as one forever. HalleluYah!!

In Him we live, move, and have our being,

Yahonatan
10:55 AM
Like·Comment

Foreword : Grace and peace to you all in His Name. I feel led by the Ruach (Spirit) to post this blog by Rabbi Yehudah, which is very informative and provides more of what I have previously shared concerning the controversial topic of tattoos and also piercings. First of all, there is a difference between piercings upon the skin, whether it be tattoos, earrings, noserings, etc., and the ungodly, deliberate cuttings, gashes, and incisions which are forbidden within the written and inspired Word of Yahweh. On one hand, there are some passages which seem to indicate that He approves of piercing the skin for various purposes. Just the same, there is a difference between what the Word specifically states, as compared to religious tradition, and also ecclesiastical and Rabbinical interpretation.Likewise, I want to state for the record that it is entirely okay to have a personal conviction in relation to piercings and tattooing, just like many also feel the same concerning the mixing of meat and dairy products. This is all about personal conviction within one's relationship with our heavenly Abba Yahweh, and not about what the sacred Scriptures specifically state (since nothing about this subject can be specifically proven beyond any shadow of doubt from the written Word, but merely interpreted). So therefore, this blog and the continual discussions are not meant in any way, shape or form to condemn anyone. We are all searching for the FULLNESS of Truth together as one collective Body, and may we do so in the Spirit of sincerity, love, and mutual understanding and respect. May iron sharpen iron as Yahweh wills and His Breath divinely inspire and lead us in all things to become restored to His perfect image and likeness by the metamorphosis of the Spirit. Peace be with you.

~ Yahonatan

===========

Rabbi, What's Your View on Tattoo's?
By Rabbi Yehudah "Strong Bow" ben Shomeyr

Tattoos, Body Piercing, Branding and Body Modification; What a hot topic for Judaism or for Conservative Western Society for that matter (and no pun intended in reference to Hot Topic the store which carries many accessories of these items).

Tattooing and body piercing is an ancient art and practice that goes way back to Avraham's day. Body modification too is fairly ancient, although body modification was usually reserved for the religious or ruling elite and it was almost always connected to religion in someway shape or form.

For those who may not know; body modification is the act of surgically altering your body. Not to be confused with plastic or cosmetic surgery. Some examples of body modification would be, tongue splitting to take on the appearance of a snake, surgically implanting false horns on your head, or inserting metal balls beneath the skin etc. Branding did have some use in religion and cultural practice but was primarily used for identification of slaves. Many in Christianity and in Judaism are against this modern revival of these practices, and for good reason. But don't judge to quickly or throw the baby out with the bath water.

Most of the time in today's modern youth sub-culture of Punk and Goth, tattoo's, piercing, branding and body modification is usually a form of "individuality" and "self expression" with in this sub-culture… although everyone is doing it, so go figure. Some do it (though most won't admit it) out of rebellion against parents, society and authority. Some still do these things as a form of religious practice or expression. And granted some do it because they simply like it.

I do not feel that this revulsion and rejection by Judaism and Christianity is totally warranted. I feel that Western Societal norms, coupled with Scriptural misinterpretation play a role in the absolute rejection of such practices by many in Christianity and Judaism.

Many fail to realize that earrings, nose rings and such was common place for men and women in ancient and even modern Middle Eastern and African Cultures. Even Rivkah (Rebecca), a Matriarch within Judaism and Christianity wore a nose ring and accepted one as a type of engagement ring:

Gen. 24:47 (NASB) "Then I asked her, and said, 'Whose daughter are you?' And she said, 'The daughter of Bethuel, Nahor's son, whom Milcah bore to him'; and I put the ring on her nose, and the bracelets on her wrists".

The Children of Israel wore earrings:

Exd 32:2 (KJV) "And Aaron said unto them, Break off the golden earrings, which [are] in the ears of your wives, of your sons, and of your daughters, and bring [them] unto me".

So body piercing was a fairly common practice among ancient Hebrews.

The controversy mostly lies with in tattoos and body modification. The prohibition in Judaism and Christianity is based on the verse Lev. 19:28. It was a common practice for pagan cults to tattoo their bodies in a religious manner and have symbols upon them pertaining to their god(s) and their religion.

G-d didn't want His people to take on these marks of allegiance to these cults and gods, He wanted His people to be unique and set apart from the nations in many ways including clothing, hair..style..s, food, and customs. But does this verse literally say no tattoo's period? A verse in the Renewed Covenant (New Testament) worded very similarly may help shed some light on this murky subject. The verse deals with Baptism for the dead:

1Cor. 15:29 (KJV) Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are they then baptized for the dead?

The verse regarding tattoos dealt with marking your bodies for the dead, and the Hebrew rendering implies this more than the English translation does. Taking into consideration the culture, history and grammar it is safest practice not to tattoo one self at all. But it was also common with in pagan cults to tattoo their dead with marks as a sort of passport through the various gates and stages of the after life. It was also a common practice with in Judaism and early Christianity to wash a dead body in preparation for burial, and according to the Torah, anyone having come in contact with a dead body must take a mikvah/baptism (Numbers 19).

So the issue of baptism for the dead and tattooing for the dead didn't have to do with those still living, but the dead themselves. In other words G-d told the Jewish people; do not tattoo your dead, or yourself in honor of the dead. Granted the grammar is a bit tricky and there is a possibility that it could also mean do not put memorial tattoos on your body in honor of a dead person. This could be taken as a form of ancestral worship and idolatry, also a common practice in some cultures. But I personally, and my Rabbi, Rav Yoshi ben Shofar, do not see anything wrong with tattoos as long as they are not of a pagan or offensive nature. This, as with many "gray" issues in life ultimately lie with ones own personal convictions and their own accountability to G-d.

I do however take up issue with branding and body modification. The Scriptures speak of treating ones body with respect and not to cut it or harm it in any fashion because it is a vessel made in the likeness of G-d (Gen 1:26-27; I Cor. 6:19). People would argue that Tattooing is a form of cutting. On the contrary it is a form of piercing. For it is a needle(s) moving at a high rate of speed that injects the ink into the skin. One does not insert the ink by cutting, but by perforating the skin. And if G-d didn't have a problem with our ancient Hebraic ancestors having ear and nose rings, and didn't consider it harmful or a desecration of the body, then tattoos being in a similar category as piercing shouldn't be a problem either, as long as it doesn't pertain to an alien god.

However, we see that G-d does take issue with self mutilation, which deals with the act of cutting (I Kings 18). G-d also took issue with burning oneself (Lev. 18:21), for when one sacrificed to Molech, one was burned alive slowly.

As far as Body Modification goes, I see any surgical procedure not for medicinal purposes to be trivial and irrelevant. I personally do not see how it could honor G-d or be considered proper use or treatment of the temple of G-d.

I will not condemn of down a person who has done any of these things, because ultimately in is between them and G-d. And if one becomes convicted of a tattoo, brand, modification or piercing they may have, first off what is in the past after one repents and converts is seen in G-d's eyes as naught. But don't it again after the fact of your new conviction. There are reverse procedures available to remove a tattoo by laser; this is more expensive than the tattoo itself. There is also ancient Talmudic and Native American ways of removing a Tattoo by the aid of plants like; Poison Ivy, Oak and Sumac. However, I would not even dream of any one attempting this sort of tattoo removal without first consulting and being under the supervision of a Native American Medicine Man and or a Talmudic Rabbi. One can also have surgery to remove a modification, or one can simply remove a piercing and letting it close shut.

I believe much of it boils down to ones motive and reasoning behind getting a tattoo or piercing is what matters. I would suggest thinking long and hard in making such a monumental decision as this, and I would recommend consulting family, friends, and even trusted religious figures in this matter. Most of all, search the Scriptures for yourself and pray to G-d, and allow the Holy Spirit to deal with you and trust He will guide you in making the correct decision.

Shalom,
-- Rabbi Yehudah
12:26 PM
Like·Comment
Gbu sis hope this helps :)

D

DragonslayerDi

ps you will learn and grow lots hang onto Jesus unchanging hand, ask God if you will for all the gifts you want He loves to give them to His children. shabbot shalom

J

JimM1228

Hi JimM1228,

I'm only going to comment on the tattoo Galations 2:20 that you do have on your arms:

You picked a really powerful verse. And by so doing, you've served the Lord - and are continuing to serve Him - in a very special way. Good for you, my friend, and blessings to you!

- Jaynee
thanks alot that means alot to hear. :)

S

Scottybrandon

who cares about tattoos... we are going to get new bodies anyways...and where is that verse where God says he would rather us tattoo our heart with him then anything else.. thats what matters/.

J

JimM1228

who cares about tattoos... we are going to get new bodies anyways...and where is that verse where God says he would rather us tattoo our heart with him then anything else.. thats what matters/.
having the " were getting new bodies anyways" mentality can lead to self destruction eventually. i know i may be taking it to the extreme but we can both agree many people do. one tattoo of a cross or something is dif from 2 sleeves and 10 piercings. but i dont think JUST because we are getting "new" bodies that we should just do what ever we want with these. and by "new" bodies he means we will be new from the inside out. not the exterior or "the flesh". we no longer think or act or need the same things. and thinking about that i gotta say thank you Jesus! lol have a great day everyone