TEMPLE......TO BE OR NOT TO BE....THAT IS MY QUESTION!!!!!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Kroogz

Dec 5, 2023
That's a great question. Perhaps the gospels and other NT writings came before your timeline for them.
Irenaeus
Irenaeus (A.D. 180), a student of Polycarp (who was a disciple of the apostle John), wrote that the apocalyptic vision “was seen not very long ago, almost in our own generation, at the close of the reign of Domitian” (Against Heresies 30). The testimony of Irenaeus, not far removed from the apostolic age, is first rate. He places the book near the end of Domitian’s reign, and that ruler died in A.D. 96. Irenaeus seems to be unaware of any other view for the date of the book of Revelation.

Clement of Alexandria
Clement of Alexandria (A.D. 155-215) says that John returned from the isle of Patmos “after the tyrant was dead” (Who Is the Rich Man? 42), and Eusebius, known as the “Father of Church History,” identifies the “tyrant” as Domitian (Ecclesiastical History III.23).

Victorinus
Victorinus (late third century), author of the earliest commentary on the book of Revelation, wrote:

When John said these things, he was in the island of Patmos, condemned to the mines by Caesar Domitian. There he saw the Apocalypse; and when at length grown old, he thought that he should receive his release by suffering; but Domitian being killed, he was liberated (Commentary on Revelation 10:11).​
Jerome
Jerome (A.D. 340-420) said,

In the fourteenth then after Nero, Domitian having raised up a second persecution, he [John] was banished to the island of Patmos, and wrote the Apocalypse (Lives of Illustrious Men 9).​
To all of this may be added the comment of Eusebius, who contends that the historical tradition of his time (A.D. 324) placed the writing of the Apocalypse at the close of Domitian’s reign (III.18). McClintock and Strong, in contending for the later date, declare that “there is no mention in any writer of the first three centuries of any other time or place” (1969, 1064). Upon the basis of external evidence, therefore, there is little contest between the earlier and later dates.
https://christiancourier.com/articles/when-was-the-book-of-revelation-written

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
I'm happy to answer his questions, and anyone else's. Should I not receive the same courtesy?
Just as your argument from Romans 11 can be shown false when an entire book and its arguments are taken into account, so too can other arguments from other books be examined. That's why I asked you to break down the arguments Paul is making up to the verses you cited from Romans 11. That's comparing apples with apples. Picking one verse from one book and comparing it with a verse from another book without understanding how each verse fits into the context of their own book is why there are so many different understandings of scripture.
the circles we go in get exhausting huh ?

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
I'm surprised sometimes by how often what someone is saying of another is actually true of them.
So then answer these questions and absolve yourself of this supposed accusation.

You will not answer the "UNTIL" question set forth so many times.
You will not answer the "IN THAT DAY" question set forth so many times.

We are waiting.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
Irenaeus
Irenaeus (A.D. 180), a student of Polycarp (who was a disciple of the apostle John), wrote that the apocalyptic vision “was seen not very long ago, almost in our own generation, at the close of the reign of Domitian” (Against Heresies 30). The testimony of Irenaeus, not far removed from the apostolic age, is first rate. He places the book near the end of Domitian’s reign, and that ruler died in A.D. 96. Irenaeus seems to be unaware of any other view for the date of the book of Revelation.

Clement of Alexandria
Clement of Alexandria (A.D. 155-215) says that John returned from the isle of Patmos “after the tyrant was dead” (Who Is the Rich Man? 42), and Eusebius, known as the “Father of Church History,” identifies the “tyrant” as Domitian (Ecclesiastical History III.23).

Victorinus
Victorinus (late third century), author of the earliest commentary on the book of Revelation, wrote:

When John said these things, he was in the island of Patmos, condemned to the mines by Caesar Domitian. There he saw the Apocalypse; and when at length grown old, he thought that he should receive his release by suffering; but Domitian being killed, he was liberated (Commentary on Revelation 10:11).​
Jerome
Jerome (A.D. 340-420) said,

In the fourteenth then after Nero, Domitian having raised up a second persecution, he [John] was banished to the island of Patmos, and wrote the Apocalypse (Lives of Illustrious Men 9).​
To all of this may be added the comment of Eusebius, who contends that the historical tradition of his time (A.D. 324) placed the writing of the Apocalypse at the close of Domitian’s reign (III.18). McClintock and Strong, in contending for the later date, declare that “there is no mention in any writer of the first three centuries of any other time or place” (1969, 1064). Upon the basis of external evidence, therefore, there is little contest between the earlier and later dates.
https://christiancourier.com/articles/when-was-the-book-of-revelation-written
Okay. So what event is so imminent and catastrophic that deals with Israel after 70 AD? Even others here who believe as you do on many things admit that 70 AD is partially in view.
And, what is God's purpose in writing Revelation?

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
Another question: what is God's purpose in writing the book of Revelation?
God states the reason in the introduction of the Prologue of Rev 1, and I'll assume you are asking of the nearness of the events unfolding, and this also in the conclusion of the chapter, 'write down the things that you have seen, and the things that are, and the things that will happen after this."

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
So then answer these questions and absolve yourself of this supposed accusation.

You will not answer the "UNTIL" question set forth so many times.
You will not answer the "IN THAT DAY" question set forth so many times.

We are waiting.
Until has been explained. All Israel refers to all who are justified by grace. This is the essence of the new covenant, but it was always true of the promised seed beginning with Abraham.
In that day means in a certain period of time...1st century.
Now...break down for me the book of Romans leading up to Romans 11.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
God states the reason in the introduction of the Prologue of Rev 1, and I'll assume you are asking of the nearness of the events unfolding, and this also in the conclusion of the chapter, 'write down the things that you have seen, and the things that are, and the things that will happen after this."
That's a great place to dig in. What are the things that have taken place, what exists in the present, and what is to shortly come to pass?

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
That's a great place to dig in. What are the things that have taken place, what exists in the present, and what is to shortly come to pass?
Well, if it's true that John actually wrote Revelation around 95ish, then Mt Vesuvius had already erupted and so it is possible that there were those that 'trampled the wicked, for they shall be ashes under your feet."

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
Well, if it's true that John actually wrote Revelation around 95ish, then Mt Vesuvius had already erupted and so it is possible that there were those that 'trampled the wicked, for they shall be ashes under your feet."
It wasn't impossible before that event though.

Kroogz

Dec 5, 2023
Okay. So what event is so imminent and catastrophic that deals with Israel after 70 AD? Even others here who believe as you do on many things admit that 70 AD is partially in view.
The rapture is imminent. And the purpose of The Revelation is......
Revelation 1:1

1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show to His bond-servants, the things which must soon take place; and He sent and communicated it by His angel to His bond-servant John,

This is not about how long the edge or rope is.........It's about when the world falls off the edge or the rope. Everything happens FAST after that point.

Feb 21, 2016
2 Kings 18:4
He removed the high places, and brake the images, and cut down the groves, and brake in pieces the brasen serpent that Moses had made: for unto those days the children of Israel did burn incense to it: and he called it Nehushtan.

The brazen serpent which Mose's was instructed to make that was the image of fallen man,was worshiped by the Israelite's,and they also prayed to it by burning incense to it.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
The rapture is imminent. And the purpose of The Revelation is......
Revelation 1:1

1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show to His bond-servants, the things which must soon take place; and He sent and communicated it by His angel to His bond-servant John,

This is not about how long the edge or rope is.........It's about when the world falls off the edge or the rope. Everything happens FAST after that point.
I appreciate the answer but don't fully understand it. What I gather is you believe the book of Revelation is about the rapture. What is the time frame? Then? Now?
I have more questions but want to fully understand your answer first.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
“The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:”
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭1:1‬ ‭KJV‬

Revelation was preparing them for this which was about to come to pass in tbier day it was about to happen

“Son of man, set thy face toward the mountains of Israel, and prophesy against them, and say, Ye mountains of Israel, hear the word of the Lord GOD; Thus saith the Lord GOD to the mountains, and to the hills, to the rivers, and to the valleys; Behold, I, even I, will bring a sword upon you, and I will destroy your high places. And your altars shall be desolate, and your images shall be broken: and I will cast down your slain men before your idols. And I will lay the dead carcases of the children of Israel before their idols; and I will scatter your bones round about your altars. In all your dwellingplaces the cities shall be laid waste, and the high places shall be desolate; that your altars may be laid waste and made desolate, and your idols may be broken and cease, and your images may be cut down, and your works may be abolished. And the slain shall fall in the midst of you, and ye shall know that I am the LORD.

Yet will I leave a remnant, that ye may have some that shall escape the sword among the nations, when ye shall be scattered through the countries.

And they that escape of you shall remember me among the nations whither they shall be carried captives, because I am broken with their whorish heart, which hath departed from me, and with their eyes, which go a whoring after their idols: and they shall lothe themselves for the evils which they have committed in all their abominations.

And they shall know that I am the LORD, and that I have not said in vain that I would do this evil unto them.

Thus saith the Lord GOD; Smite with thine hand, and stamp with thy foot, and say, Alas for all the evil abominations of the house of Israel! for they shall fall by the sword, by the famine, and by the pestilence.

He that is far off shall die of the pestilence; and he that is near shall fall by the sword; and he that remaineth and is besieged shall die by the famine: thus will I accomplish my fury upon them.

Then shall ye know that I am the LORD, when their slain men shall be among their idols round about their altars, upon every high hill, in all the tops of the mountains, and under every green tree, and under every thick oak, the place where they did offer sweet savour to all their idols. So will I stretch out my hand upon them, and make the land desolate, yea, more desolate than the wilderness toward Diblath, in all their habitations: and they shall know that I am the LORD.”
‭‭Ezekiel‬ ‭6:2-14‬ ‭

“And Jesus went out, and departed from the temple: and his disciples came to him for to shew him the buildings of the temple. And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.

And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying,

(1) Tell us, when shall these things be? ( temples destruction )

(2) and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?”( second coming )
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭24:1-3‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“And he said, Take heed that ye be not deceived: for many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and the time draweth near: go ye not therefore after them. But when ye shall hear of wars and commotions, be not terrified: for these things must first come to pass; but the end is not by and by. Then said he unto them, Nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and great earthquakes shall be in divers places, and famines, and pestilences; and fearful sights and great signs shall there be from heaven. ( before the end and his return )

But before all these, ( but first ) they shall lay their hands on you, and persecute you, delivering you up to the synagogues, and into prisons, being brought before kings and rulers for my name's sake. And it shall turn to you for a testimony.

Settle it therefore in your hearts, not to meditate before what ye shall answer: for I will give you a mouth and wisdom, which all your adversaries shall not be able to gainsay nor resist. And ye shall be betrayed both by parents, and brethren, and kinsfolks, and friends; and some of you shall they cause to be put to death. And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake.

But there shall not an hair of your head perish. In your patience possess ye your souls. And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭21:8-20‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Then let them which are in Judæa flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter thereinto. For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled.

But woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck, in those days! for there shall be great distress in the land, and wrath upon this people. And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭21:20-24‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“But take heed to yourselves: for they shall deliver you up to councils; and in the synagogues ye shall be beaten: and ye shall be brought before rulers and kings for my sake, for a testimony against them.

…Now the brother shall betray the brother to death, and the father the son; and children shall rise up against their parents, and shall cause them to be put to death. And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

But when ye shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing where it ought not, (let him that readeth understand,) then let them that be in Judæa flee to the mountains:

….For in those days shall be affliction, such as was not from the beginning of the creation which God created unto this time, neither shall be.( great tribulation )

And except that the Lord had shortened those days, no flesh should be saved: but for the elect's sake, ( remnant he promised in prophecy who would survive ) whom he hath chosen, he hath shortened the days. But take ye heed: behold, I have foretold you all things.”
‭‭Mark‬ ‭13:9-10, 12-14, 19-20, 23‬ ‭KJV‬‬

It’s almost main theme of the law and latter messianic prophecy

“Also, thou son of man, thus saith the Lord GOD unto the land of Israel; An end, the end is come upon the four corners of the land. Now is the end come upon thee, and I will send mine anger upon thee, and will judge thee according to thy ways, and will recompense upon thee all thine abominations. And mine eye shall not spare thee, neither will I have pity: but I will recompense thy ways upon thee, and thine abominations shall be in the midst of thee: and ye shall know that I am the LORD.

Thus saith the Lord GOD; An evil, an only evil, behold, is come. An end is come, the end is come: it watcheth for thee; behold, it is come. Now will I shortly pour out my fury upon thee, and accomplish mine anger upon thee: and I will judge thee according to thy ways, and will recompense thee for all thine abominations.

And mine eye shall not spare, neither will I have pity: I will recompense thee according to thy ways and thine abominations that are in the midst of thee; and ye shall know that I am the LORD that smiteth. The time is come, the day draweth near: let not the buyer rejoice, nor the seller mourn: for wrath is upon all the multitude thereof.

They have blown the trumpet, even to make all ready; but none goeth to the battle: for my wrath is upon all the multitude thereof.

The sword is without, and the pestilence and the famine within: he that is in the field shall die with the sword; and he that is in the city, famine and pestilence shall devour him.”
‭‭Ezekiel‬ ‭7:2-6, 8-9, 12, 14-15‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
Until has been explained. All Israel refers to all who are justified by grace. This is the essence of the new covenant, but it was always true of the promised seed beginning with Abraham.
In that day means in a certain period of time...1st century.
Now...break down for me the book of Romans leading up to Romans 11.
Irrational incoherent bafflegab.

You cannot understand a one word term and three word phrase, yet you are the expert on the book of Romans.

Ridiculous.

Kroogz

Dec 5, 2023
I appreciate the answer but don't fully understand it. What I gather is you believe the book of Revelation is about the rapture. What is the time frame? Then? Now?
The rapture can happen anytime. After the rapture, the Trib(Jacobs trouble) starts. Revelation is Israels guide through the worst thing the world has ever seen. ..........Makes Noah's flood look like a spring shower.

You have "soon" or "near" in the Revelation as a "short rope." And take it as if all of it has to happen soon. Take place soon.

I'm saying, the world is walking a tight-rope, we don't know how long the tight rope is. John is describing the things that take place when the world falls off the tight-rope. Things in revelation take place SOON/quickly after the world falls off the tight rope.

But, I believe you're in a pickle. John wrote the Revelation around 90AD. And If he witnessed all of this fulfilled in 70AD, well..........

douggg

Oct 2, 2021
Here is a chart I made which has the window which the rapture/resurrection event will happen. I gave my view the name "anytime rapture view" based on the use of Jesus's words in Luke 21:34-36 of "any time".

The rapture will take place in the window, anytime, from right this every second until the Antichrist commits the transgression of desolation act in 2Thessalonians2:4.

ratpure window 8.jpg

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
Irrational incoherent bafflegab.

You cannot understand a one word term and three word phrase, yet you are the expert on the book of Romans.

Ridiculous.
If you understood the book of Romans you would have no doubt shared. You are long on insults, but short on information.