The official can Christians drink debate thread.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
I prefer not to drink, since I used to be an alcoholic and I rather enjoy having my brain cells healthy, instead of poisoning them.
Even though I DON'T drink...........goodness...........what a joy it would be to have "healthy brain cells"........what am I saying? Goodness JUST to HAVE brain cells............. :)

J

jennymae

can christians drink? i guess some can but a few years ago i was with a group of foreign teachers here in china as guests at a celebration in the northwest and saw a baptist missionary who certainly couldnt. we went to dinner with some aussies and he didnt seem to realize that drinking beer with australians is playing in the big leagues. luckily he wasnt very heavy so it was easy getting him back to his room.
I know I shouldnt, but this made me laugh...alot.

J

jennymae

"In Moderation.........." (that MUST be in Northern Australia.........) Never heard of that particular place in the South!
Hafta be one of them dry counties.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
I know I shouldnt, but this made me laugh...alot.
In the old days, most people would readily confess to what you just did, but the times, they're a'changin.

Jesus, the prophets, and the martyrs lived much differently than we do today. Not just because the times were different, but because their mindsets were different. Today's mindset seems to be "how much can I indulge in worldly pleasures and still get to heaven?" The old ones figured they owed God a little bit bigger debt of gratitude than that. They were willing to die physically, literally, and completely. We are asked to, and balk at, doing much less.

We refuse to give up our nasty habits and old fleshly natures unless we absolutely have to. Our lifestyles are still pleasure oriented, just like the one's of the culture we live in, be it American, Australian, or whatever. Whatever became of the concept of being a citizen of a higher kingdom? Is modern drinking any more or less than the modern pleasure seekers lifestyle?

We use the Miracle at Cana to defend our winebibbing, when the real point of it was to illustrate Jesus' obedience to and honour for the only earthly parent He seems to have had at the time; His dear mother. Sure I understand that it's not things that send us to hell. It's choices. Lifestyle choices. What does your lifestyle choice say to the world? Perhaps it's time to stop conforming and to start becoming the peculiar priesthood that's going to make the world stand up and take notice.

"If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, Where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.
Set your affections on things above, not on things on earth.
For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God."
-Colossians 3:1-3

Jun 18, 2014
This thread is made for the purpose of debating if Christians can drink. Come here to debate the topic, especially if you've derailed any threads with this topic.
There is no debate. Jesus drank wine at his last passover, so did his disciples.

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
John Chap. 2

Worth noting the amount... To get them drunk? Certainly not! (Joh 2:6 Six stone water jars were there.)

Hypocrisy has led some people to "believe" the wine was added WATER to reduce the alcohol power but John´s records clearly says it was wine (... men have well drunk,G3184. From Strong´Hebrew).
And the best wine, even if it was watered down!

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
The guest of the wedding feast were probably too wasted to issue a coherent statement afterwards.
Ok I probably wouldn't use the word wasted but he makes a point - weddings are not known for their shortage of alcohol, and these folks ran out. So, barring any information indicating that they were cheap screws and understocked the bar, it had to be a hapin'in party when Jesus added to it. Again, not promoting drunkeness but moderation, but it's interesting to note that He didn't walk out cursing the drunkards.

Aug 15, 2009
Ok I probably wouldn't use the word wasted but he makes a point - weddings are not known for their shortage of alcohol, and these folks ran out. So, barring any information indicating that they were cheap screws and understocked the bar, it had to be a hapin'in party when Jesus added to it. Again, not promoting drunkeness but moderation, but it's interesting to note that He didn't walk out cursing the drunkards.
Let's not start adding western culture to early church history, ok?

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
Yeah, it was kind of a sucky point to make in the first place.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Question: can Christians drink? Well, they CAN, but that dont mean they SHOULD. :pI drank on occasion in my wild years (twenty-something, lol). One night I drank an entire bottle of Southern Comfort WITHOUT any soda chasers in between. Where I lived at the time, my bedroom was upstairs, and the bathroom downstairs. I got sick as a dawg, and laid on my bed hoping to God I wouldnt have to puke because I could barely walk and certainly couldnt get downstairs. LOL. THAT experience turned me off to drinking ever again!!! :p