The Pope: Biblical Holy Man or A Bunch of Hogwash?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
R

reject-tech

The "rock", this particular one, is to have had Christ revealed personally to the individual by the Father in heaven, rather than by other men or physical evidence.

The rock is much bigger than the man Peter or the man "pope"
Jesus nicknamed him "rock" because he had experienced that personal revelation from the Father, because what people say only goes so far.

I don't know the pope's heart, but I know he isn't doing the things Peter did.

ChosenbyHim

Sep 19, 2011
I've heard it both ways and I'm just curious what everyone thinks. Some say that when Jesus said He was building his Church upon "This Rock", he was referring to Peter and thus making him the first Pope. Then again, as many times as I've opened a Bible, I feel like I should've seen the word Pope in there somewhere if I was supposed to bow to this guy and kiss his ring like a mafia don or something.

The pope is not a biblical man. Pope is not a Bible word. And neither is nun, or purgatory, or sacrements.

The pope is nothing more than a Hell bound heretic and blasphemer.

The whole system and religion of Roman Catholicism is contrary to the Holy Scriptures.

R

Reformedjason

The pope is not a biblical man. Pope is not a Bible word. And neither is nun, or purgatory, or sacrements.

The whole system and religion of Roman Catholicism is contrary to the Holy Scriptures.
Hey , hey , hey , brother. I finally agree with you on something. Haha.

T

Tintin

I'm more scared of the Pope's followers than the Pope himself. They put him up on a pedestal, some even worship him. That's not cool!

Dec 21, 2012

"A heavy Catholic influence was exhibited in the KJV..." --Dr. Robert Joyner

KJV-Onlyism - Have We Been Lied To?
by Dr. Robert Joyner

Pro Catholic

A heavy Catholic influence was exhibited in the KJV from the time of Erasmus, a Roman Catholic who compiled the Greek text. The reason he put I John 5:7 in his Greek text was because the Catholic church threatened to excommunicate him if he didn’t. This verse is found in only two late Greek manuscripts. It is not found in the Majority text. Erasmus knew it did not belong in his Greek text. But the worst thing to a Catholic is ex-communication, so he put it in. He also put in other verses from the Latin Roman Catholic Bible.

The Church of England was started by Henry VIII because he wanted to divorce and re-marry. Catholics do not allow this, so King Henry left the Catholic church and started the Church of England. He made it the state church. Of course, his church was patterned after the Catholic church. Remember most of the KJV translators were members of the Church of England. This is why they have a page for a holy day in front of the 1611 KJV dedicated to the “blessed Virgin.”(see appendix C) This is the reason they refused to translate the Greek words for “baptism” and “deacon.” They transliterated them. This means they just spelled them out in English. If they had translated them, it would have conflicted with their practice of sprinkling instead of baptism. “Deacon” would have to be translated as “servant” instead of the high office as the Catholics and Church of England practice it. It seems the great KJV translators were cowards and chose to bow to King James instead of doing what they knew was right.

The fact that the 1611 KJV contained the Roman Catholic Apocrypha is undeniable proof of Catholic influence. No truly Protestant or Baptist version of the Bible would contain this abomination.

Oct 16, 2013
There are nothing wrong in the name of Pope,but have in the power he have since 1054year.For a last 1000years Pope of rome wasn't the same person,in the sense of ruling,which he was in the 1st 1000years of Church of Rome.Roman Catholicism has started sinse Pope of Rome established himself as Vicar of Christ,infalible man,and added Filoques into Nicene Creed.

In human history happened three terrible fallings of man.First was fall of Adam , second was fall of Judas Iscariot and third was fall of Pope of Rome.All three happened with terrible consequences.

In the basis of all heresies is wrong interpretation of Bible.Pope of Rome rejected Christ as only infalible and put himself on His place.He limited Christ only on heavens and gave himself power on earth do decide what is good and what is bad,and all that because of false interpretation of verse "Thou are Peter and on this rock".

First of all, although Peter was given the prominent role as the first of the apostles, he was always equal to the other apostles. Christ told the apostles that they would sit on twelve thrones (Matt. 19:28). A special throne was not set up for Peter. Moreover the “keys” were given to all the apostles (Matt. 18:18). The other apostles were also the foundation upon which the Church was built (Eph. 2:20). If the Roman view is to be believed, it is interesting to note that when the disciples disputed among themselves as to who would be the greatest, (Lk. 22:24-27), they seemed unaware that Christ had already picked Peter.

Second, the Rock upon whom the Church is established is Christ. When Christ says, “Thou art Peter,” He called him “PETROS,” which means “small stone.” But when He says, “Upon this rock I will build my Church” the Greek term for rock is not Petros but “PETRA” which means “bedrock.” This bedrock which the Church is built upon was always understood by the Greek Fathers and many Western Fathers to mean either Christ Himself, or the profession of faith in Christ’s Divinity.

Third, the patristic witness is that no Father of the Church has seen, in the primacy of Peter, any title of jurisdiction or absolute authority in Church government. The Latin Church Father, St. Ambrose, for instance, taught that Peter and Paul were equal: “It was proper that Paul should go to see Peter. Why? was Peter superior to him and to the other Apostles? No, but because, of all the Apostles, he was the first to be entrusted by the Lord with the care of the churches. Had he need to be taught, or to receive a commission from Peter? No, but that Peter might know that Paul had received the power which had also been given to himself.” (The Papacy, by Abbe Guettee, pp. 173-174).

Furthermore, he taught that Peter’s primacy was not one of honor or rank, but of faith and confession: “As soon as Peter heard these words, ‘Whom say ye that I am?’ remembering his place, he exercised this primacy, a primacy of confession, not of honour; a primacy of faith, not of rank.” (Ibid., p. 174).

Blessed Augustine, one of the “Doctors” of the Roman Church, considered Peter and Paul equal. He puts these words in Paul’s mouth: “I am in nothing inferior to Peter; for we were ordained by the same God for the same ministry” (Ibid., p. 187). Blessed Augustine, also referred to Peter’s primacy, but he does not understand this to mean power over the Church. “He had not the primacy over the disciples but among the disciples. His primacy among the disciples was the same as that of Stephen among the deacons” (Ibid., p. 176).

The second concern that Orthodox have with the Latin premise is with the claim that an exclusive transference of power occurred from the Apostle Peter to the Bishop of Rome, and from the Church in Jerusalem to the Church in Rome. The Orthodox would first point out that all bishops are successors of all the apostles, and that the Bishop of Rome, the Pope, does not therefore have exclusive rights to Peter. Second, since Peter died before the Apostle John, this would mean, according to the Papal doctrine, that the Beloved Apostle would have been under the universal rule of the Bishop of Rome (at that time), thus reversing the intended order of rank.

Third, Peter ordained several bishops in Rome. (Irenaeus and Eusebius write that he ordained Linus, and Tertullian states that he ordained Clement.) How could they be his successor while he was still alive?

Fourth, Jerusalem had unique authority in the Church. It was the Mother of all the Churches. But it never attempted to lord it over the other Churches as its supposed successor did.

And fifth, if we admit a succession from apostle to bishop and (from) Jerusalem to Rome, then there would be a decrease in authority, due to the unique place of the Apostle and of Jerusalem.

The last concern that the Orthodox have is with the Roman presupposition that the authoritative role of the Papacy always existed from ancient times. To demonstrate the novelty of this idea I cite the ancient witness of Pope Gregory the Great (540-604), one of the greatest of the Popes. Pope Gregory was concerned that the Patriarch of Constantinople, St. John the Faster, had accepted the title of Ecumenical (or Universal) Patriarch. He condemned any such title for the following reasons.

First, anyone who would use such a title would have fallen into pride, equal to the anti-Christ. He wrote: “I say it without the least hesitation, whoever calls himself the universal bishop, or desires this title, is by his pride, the precursor of anti-Christ, because he thus attempts to raise himself above the others. The error into which he falls springs from pride equal to that of anti-Christ; for as that wicked one wished to be regarded as exalted above other men, like a god, so likewise whoever would call himself sole bishop exalteth himself above others” (Ibid., 226).

Second, St. Gregory believed that such a title would be perilous to the Church. “It cannot be denied that if any one bishop be called universal, all the Church crumbles if that universal one fall” (Ibid., p. 223).