The Unpardonable Sin

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
May 31, 2013
Most definitely my brother, I know I said that many here have done this. Yet they were just mocking, but some have experienced The Holy Spirit and then have rejected Him. But I will remind people that when Elijah was taken up, that some young men started to mock Elisha saying " go up you bald man". Mocking the act that The Holy Spirit had just performed and Elisha commanded three she bears to kill them. You just don't play with the Holy Spirit. It must be done knowingly and willingly.
Kerry I have not received the Holy Spirit Baptism, I was looking for it, and is when I got despeate and force it, and spoke in the flesh tongues, praying to receive, but I clearly did it in the flesh not in the natural, I feel very bad for this false attempt? I have become anxious, depressed, and trouble sleeping, I made a big mistake in speaking fake tongues, although I thought at the time I was following the right process, and have done it correcly.

Please youinput is very helpful. Have you heard on any case like mine? Thank you.

zone

Jun 13, 2010
Getting back to the subject, The only one here that is even close was Cobus. Most of you should concern yourselves with practicing God's word, humbling yourselves and loving others. It is only a person who lives in the Kingdom of God who could blaspheme the Holy Spirit. If you do not continually live in God's perfect peace and love and Joy and comfort it is not possible for you to blaspheme the Holy Spirit.

This sin is the same sin Satan and the angels that chose to follow him committed. They knew God fully and rejected Him.
please stop teaching falsely what is/is not the unpardonable sin.
there's only one, it's not that hard to find in the Bible.
your opinion is interesting but powerless.
t.y.

zone

Jun 13, 2010
OK, understand that all the truth on any subject is not found in just one passage...

Isa 28:9 Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts.
Isa 28:10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:

With that ground rule in place, let's look at another passage...

Heb 10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
Heb 10:27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.
Heb 10:28 He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:
Heb 10:29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?

Sinning wilfully is doing despite to the Holy Spirit. What is wilfull sinning? Seems like we want to sin and our will is to sin when we sin. Is every sin wilfully sinning?

1Jn 5:16 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.
1Jn 5:17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.

There are sins that are not unto death. What would that be?

1Jn 2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
1Jn 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

Heb 7:25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.

Our Advocate, our High Priest is Jesus Christ. When we go to Him in repentance and seek His intercession for our sins with the Father, we are forgiven. This si a sin that is not unto death, it has been forgiven and once forgiven is gone...

Psa 103:12 As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.

So what is the unpardonable sin...

Eph 4:22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;
Eph 4:23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;

We do this by going to God and seeking Him, asking for the renewing of our minds...

Rom 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
Rom 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

And presenting ourselves as living sacrifices, willing to do whatever God asks of us.

Eph 4:24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.
Eph 4:25 Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another.
Eph 4:26 Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:
Eph 4:27 Neither give place to the devil.
Eph 4:28 Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.
Eph 4:29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
Eph 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.
Eph 4:31 Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:
Eph 4:32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

We can grieve the Holy Spirit by continuing in these evil practices without remorse or desire to stop. This is wilfull sinning. Doing as we please without trying to change, whithout trying to do this...

Joh 8:11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

Wilfull sin is simply going the way of the Devil, our own human nature and the way of the world without thought of going God's way or even caring. A very cogent comment was made to me many years ago, "If you are owrried that you have committed the unpardonable sin, you most likely have not."
PLEASE STOP TEACHING FALSELY CONCERNING THE UNPARDONABLE SIN.
STOP IT.

May 31, 2013
Most definitely my brother, I know I said that many here have done this. Yet they were just mocking, but some have experienced The Holy Spirit and then have rejected Him.
I agree with this, someone who have experienced the Holy Spirit baptism and deny it, can be the Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.

E

eternally-gratefull

I believe it only pertains to someone who has received the baptism in the Holy Spirit. That's what I believe the scripture is saying anyway. I'll pray and search the scriptures more. If I'm not understanding this right then the Lord will show me, but until then this is how I understand what He is saying.
it can't be this, because no one who was baptised by the spirit into new life can commit this sin,, this is talking to people who have not yet been saved.

john832

May 31, 2013
PLEASE STOP TEACHING FALSELY CONCERNING THE UNPARDONABLE SIN.
STOP IT.
Hmmm, heat that Paul? I keep quoting you and you are teaching falsely. Same for you John.

zone

Jun 13, 2010
Hmmm, heat that Paul? I keep quoting you and you are teaching falsely. Same for you John.

heat that Paul?
I keep quoting you?
Same for you John?

either teach what the unpardonable sin is or leave the topic alone.

May 31, 2013
There is so many opinions of what this sin is, I believe is not one , but several ways we can fall into this sin,
a) knowingly and purposely denying the Holy Spirit, (once you have receieve it and been partaker of the Holy Spirit)
b) knowingly and purposely atributting the works of th Holy Spirit to the devil
c) knowingly and purposely ridiculizing or mocking the work of the Spirit of God (not sure if this would be somthing like speak in tongues in church making fun of it) <--- I am concerned about this one,. since one day I tried to speak in tongues following and article that sai How to receive the baptism on the Holy Spirit .

Let me know your thoughts.

zone

Jun 13, 2010
There is so many opinions of what this sin is, I believe is not one , but several ways we can fall into this sin,
a) knowingly and purposely denying the Holy Spirit, (once you have receieve it and been partaker of the Holy Spirit)
c) knowingly and purposely ridiculizing or mocking the work of the Spirit of God (not sure if this would be somthing like speak in tongues in church making fun of it) <--- I am concerned about this one,. since one day I tried to speak in tongues following and article that sai How to receive the baptism on the Holy Spirit .

just read it, okay?
it's unbelievers accusing Jesus of working miracles by using WITCHCRAFT.
CHRISTIANS do not commit this sin.

Matthew 12
Blasphemy Against the Holy Spirit

22Then a demon-oppressed man who was blind and mute was brought to him, and he healed him, so that the man spoke and saw. 23And all the people were amazed, and said, “Can this be the Son of David?” 24But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, “It is only by Beelzebul, the prince of demons, that this man casts out demons.” 25Knowing their thoughts, he said to them, “Every kingdom divided against itself is laid waste, and no city or house divided against itself will stand. 26And if Satan casts out Satan, he is divided against himself. How then will his kingdom stand? 27And if I cast out demons by Beelzebul, by whom do your sons cast them out? Therefore they will be your judges. 28But if it is by the Spirit of God that I cast out demons, then the kingdom of God has come upon you. 29Or how can someone enter a strong man’s house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man? Then indeed he may plunder his house. 30Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters. 31Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven people, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. 32And whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.

May 31, 2013
I disagree, I think can be commited for both belivers and unbelievers, if you do it in ignorance, i think it would be pardonable, thats what it would make the difference. This is one of the thoughest passages to understand.

john832

May 31, 2013

heat that Paul?
I keep quoting you?
Same for you John?

either teach what the unpardonable sin is or leave the topic alone.
Yeah, should have been hear that Paul. I fat-fingered the keyboard.

john832

May 31, 2013
Yeah, should have been hear that Paul. I fat-fingered the keyboard.
I believe that Paul did teach that...

Heb 10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
Heb 10:27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.
Heb 10:28 He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:
Heb 10:29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?

Or perhaps you think that doing despite to the Spirit of Grace is a prepaid ticket into God's Kingdom? He plainly says here that wilfull sinning has no sacrifice made for it. It is not forgiven.

Photoss

Sep 15, 2012
just read it, okay?
it's unbelievers accusing Jesus of working miracles by using WITCHCRAFT.
CHRISTIANS do not commit this sin.

Matthew 12
Blasphemy Against the Holy Spirit

22Then a demon-oppressed man who was blind and mute was brought to him, and he healed him, so that the man spoke and saw. 23And all the people were amazed, and said, “Can this be the Son of David?” 24But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, “It is only by Beelzebul, the prince of demons, that this man casts out demons.” 25Knowing their thoughts, he said to them, “Every kingdom divided against itself is laid waste, and no city or house divided against itself will stand. 26And if Satan casts out Satan, he is divided against himself. How then will his kingdom stand? 27And if I cast out demons by Beelzebul, by whom do your sons cast them out? Therefore they will be your judges. 28But if it is by the Spirit of God that I cast out demons, then the kingdom of God has come upon you. 29Or how can someone enter a strong man’s house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man? Then indeed he may plunder his house. 30Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters. 31Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven people, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. 32And whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.

I agree with zone; in the context of the passage, Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is attributing the works of Christ (and the Holy Spirit) to demons (or Satan).

May 31, 2013

Any thoughts?

Oct 31, 2011
The unpardonable sin is listed in the gospels of Mathew and Mark and both accounts are essentially the same.

First notice that Jesus says:
28Truly I say to you, all sins shall be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they utter; Matt 12:28
Jesus affirms that all sins can be forgiven, even uttering of blasphemies can be forgiven. So the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is not a sin that can be uttered. Secondly, any sin I can commit can be forgiven and I really want to stress as hard as I can that **ANY** sin can be forgiven. No sin that any of us can commit is beyond redemption. If I murdered 6 million Jews in horrible ways, as Hitler did, it can be forgiven. Even if I utter that satan is casting out satan as the jews did, this too can be forgiven.

Now if all sins can be forgiven, how is it possible to commit the unpardonable sin? We can assume that the Pharisees that are accusing Jesus of working with satan and being a socerer, are guilty of this unpardonable sin. Even so we just found out that even uttered blasphemies can be forgiven.

So what is the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit? Easy, it is the rejection of Christ. It is the rejection of the work of the Holy Spirit that calls us to repentance. This means that every soul in hell right now is guilty of committing the unforgivable sin. The Pharisees had hardened their hearts against Jesus and rejected the promptings of the Holy Spirit.
I do not understand how everyone sees this as rejecting Christ when the scripture says it is rejecting the Holy Spirit and the strong man. It even mentions that you can reject the son of man, or Christ as he was before the resurrection. Each time blasphemy is mentioned, there is mention of giving credit for God's work to demons.

It is through the Holy Spirit we are given the ability to know God and Christ. It is saying that we must not blaspheme against6 that knowledge.

It seems to me that we must not single out one aspect of that knowledge of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

Dec 19, 2009
"Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men." Matthew 12:31. I would encourage reading this in context, I was just focusing on this one. What is blasphemy, and why is it that the blasphemies toward anyone else except the Spirit forgiven? I'm just putting this out there, because I'm interested in what others think.
According to the Tenth Edition of the Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary, blasphemy means:

1a : the act of insulting or showing contempt or lack of reverence for God b: the act of claiming the attributes of deity 2 : irreverence toward something considered sacred or inviolable
I suspect most of us have wondered if we’ve ever committed the unpardonable sin.

One might consider this, though:

For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16 RSV

May 31, 2013
Still is kind of hard to make a list how what would constitute blasphemy, I can think some scenarios, but really is not a single sin, but many types;
a) knowingly and purposely denying the Holy Spirit, (once you have receive it and been partaker of the Holy Spirit)
b) knowingly and purposely attributing the works of the Holy Spirit to the devil
c) knowingly and purposely ridiculing or mocking the work of the Spirit of God (not sure if this would be something like speak in tongues in church making fun of it) <--- I am concerned about this one,. since one day I tried to speak in tongues following and article that said How to receive the baptism on the Holy Spirit , and I move my lips in my own with misc. words not the real.
s
d) Say that a genuine work of the Holy Spirit, ,such as seeing someone miraculous healed. Or someone speaking in tongues and saying that it is not from God
e)
f)?
g)?

Oct 31, 2011
resurrection33;1086972]

One might consider this, though:
For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16 RSV
This would relate to the Holy Spirit as one aspect of God that we are not to deny if we do not blaspheme the Holy Spirit, but the bible verse we are working on takes in all the Holy Spirit knows of God.

Dec 19, 2009
This would relate to the Holy Spirit as one aspect of God that we are not to deny if we do not blaspheme the Holy Spirit, but the bible verse we are working on takes in all the Holy Spirit knows of God.
I think the point of the whole thing is that we are not to blasphemy the Holy Spirit, and while we're at it, I'd suggest we not blasphemy the Father or Son, either.

john832

May 31, 2013
I agree with zone; in the context of the passage, Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is attributing the works of Christ (and the Holy Spirit) to demons (or Satan).
Just out of curiosity, then I assume you believe that Heb 10 does not refer to a sin that is not forgiven and the sinner still receives eternal life? The unpardonable sin is the one that brings death, but the clear teaching in Heb 10 is that this brings life?