Tithing in the New Covenant 10% or what is in your Heart

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Hizikyah

Aug 25, 2013
Uh, the abolishing of the tithe came two years after those statements. When Christ said, "It is finished." He fulfilled the Law.

Ephesians 2:14-15 clearly tell us that Jesus Christ abolished the commandments written in the ordinances. Tithing was an ordinances. The ordinances are no more. They have been cancelled by Christ.
Mattithyah 5:17-18, "Do not even think gthat I have come to destroy the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to destroy them, but to establish them. For truly I say to you; Unless heaven and earth passes away, one yodh--the smallest of the letters--will in no way pass from the Law, until all things are perfected."

Has heaven and earth passed? Are all things perfected?

If you follow the Messiah you will believe and follow what He says.

Luke 16:17, "But it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one yodh of the Law to fail."

Ephesians 2:15-16, "Abolishing the enmity (most translation ADD "that is", look in your bible they are italicied words = added)the Commandments, and the Ordinances, through His own flesh, in order to create in Himself one new man from the two; making peace, That would reconcile both in one body to Yahweh through the sacrifice- -having killed the enmity through Himself."

The oppisition to the instruction of the Most High was abolished, not the instruction itself.

Romans 8:7-8, "Because the carnal mind is enmity against; (bitterly opposed to), Yahweh; for it his not subject to the Law of Yahweh, nor indeed can be. So then, those who are of the flesh cannot please Yahweh."

B

BeanieD

To me, Tithing is giving to the pastor for hisservice to us, and to the church for reaching out to thosein need. There are a lot of churches that dont go far enough to take care of the needy and more should be doing more.
Matthew 25:34-40 Then the King will say to those on His right, Come you who are blessed by my Father; Take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.
V 40 The King will reply, " I tell you the trth, whatever you did for one of the least of these vrothers of mine you did for me.

Aug 28, 2013
Mattithyah 5:17-18, "Do not even think gthat I have come to destroy the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to destroy them, but to establish them. For truly I say to you; Unless heaven and earth passes away, one yodh--the smallest of the letters--will in no way pass from the Law, until all things are perfected."

Has heaven and earth passed? Are all things perfected?

If you follow the Messiah you will believe and follow what He says.

Luke 16:17, "But it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one yodh of the Law to fail."

Ephesians 2:15-16, "Abolishing the enmity (most translation ADD "that is", look in your bible they are italicied words = added)the Commandments, and the Ordinances, through His own flesh, in order to create in Himself one new man from the two; making peace, That would reconcile both in one body to Yahweh through the sacrifice- -having killed the enmity through Himself."

The oppisition to the instruction of the Most High was abolished, not the instruction itself.

Romans 8:7-8, "Because the carnal mind is enmity against; (bitterly opposed to), Yahweh; for it his not subject to the Law of Yahweh, nor indeed can be. So then, those who are of the flesh cannot please Yahweh."
Sorry Hizikyah, but the Bible does not say the opposition to the instruction was abolished. It says the commandments written in ordinances. The commandments were abolished, not opposition to them.

john832

May 31, 2013
Uh, the abolishing of the tithe came two years after those statements. When Christ said, "It is finished." He fulfilled the Law.

Ephesians 2:14-15 clearly tell us that Jesus Christ abolished the commandments written in the ordinances. Tithing was an ordinances. The ordinances are no more. They have been cancelled by Christ.
So, fulfilling (filling full) means abolishing? You and I went to different schools, that is apparent. Makes me wonder why Paul wasn't aware of this piece of information...

Rom 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

Hmmm, and then we read this...

Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Mat 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Luk 16:17 And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail.

Mat 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Joh 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Joh 15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

And next we read this...

Heb 13:8 Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

And you would tell me that just a couple of years and He changed His mind? Hmmm, and then...

Rev 22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

And this was written about 95AD or there abouts. Must have changed His mind again.

Let's look at Eph 2:14-15

Eph 2:14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;
Eph 2:15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

Now Paul says that this law of commandments in ordinances is enmity. Hmmm, yet to the Romans Paul wrote...

Rom 7:12 Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.

So, is Paul speaking out of both sides of his mouth? Or is this law contained in ordinances something different than the Commandments?

How about another clue?

Eph 2:14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;

It is the middle wall of partition. What in the world is that? It is simply this...

Mar 7:7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
Mar 7:8 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.

The law of commandments contained in ordinances were the the teachings of the Pharisees. Either that is the case or Christ and Paul both lied in other circumstances when they declared such statements as...

Luk 16:17 And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail.

or...

Rom 7:12 Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.

And if Eph 2:14-15 is in contradiction to these other plain passages that uphold the law then...

Joh 10:35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;

The scripture is broken and this conversation is meaningless. Rather, I think this might be the case...

2Pe 3:15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;
2Pe 3:16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

Hizikyah

Aug 25, 2013
Do you not see the ITALCIZED words? (THAT IS)

Enmity =
Strong's Greek Lexicon

feminine of <2190>; hostility; by implication, a reason for opposition:-enmity, hatred.

If you think do not murder

do not steal

love Yahweh

love your neighbor

is = hostility; by implication, a reason for opposition:-enmity, hatred.

then wow, i dont even know what to say.

Translate it without the word "enmity" but the meaning of that word =

Having abolished in his flesh the hostility; by implication, a reason for opposition. the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

ABOLISHING YOUR REASON for opposition

Oct 31, 2011
Whoa!!! If all the commandments were abolished in Eph 2:15, then that scripture would wipe out all the other scriptures that say they weren't abolished, and one scripture never cancels another scripture. All law cannot be cancelled.

The scripture talked about is Eph 2:15 He has abolished the law with its commandments and ordinances, that he might create in himself one new humanity in place of the two, thus making peace,

What that verse is telling us is that it is abolished that the law, the pronouncement of the sins that result in our death, is made ineffective for killing us through Christ. The translation of the original language is poor. We are not to be Jew and gentile, but one united whole under Christ.

Feb 7, 2013
Peace be with you Brother, is the New Covenant CHRIST's Teachings even through the Apostles Scripturally written for the churches make you not understand about giving?
Isn't the book of Acts as it is written Christian's giving clearly speak to us about the art of giving also for now?
Why bring the tread of confusion?
JESUS did not close the book of the Old Testament for us to forget but for us to just understand and remember what is just of GOD the FATHER at that time, now GOD sent when the time is right JESUS, HIS SON to give it's full meanings of the true requirement of the Old for justification to the New generation, born of JESUS to abide, the New Covenant.
For those who want to oppose this brother with their comments, please stop!
Know that i am not the one ordering this but the LORD, because he is one of us.
JESUS is blessing this brother that he will come to simple understanding of the written Holy Scripture of the New Covenant.

john832

May 31, 2013
Ephesians 2 says the commandments were abolished.

I gotta go with Scripture.
And the same Paul said they were established...

Rom 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

Yep, I gotta go with scripture on this one.

john832

May 31, 2013
Ephesians 2 says the commandments were abolished.

I gotta go with Scripture.
So, if someone (not me) comes aorund tonight, breaks into your house, has his way with your wife, steals all your possessions and then kills you on the way out, they are not guilty of sin?

Rom 4:15 Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression.

Rom 5:13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

Paul plainly says where there is no Law, there is no sin. So if the Ten Commandments were abolished, then if some miscreant does do the above, there is no guilt for it? It is not sin?

john832

May 31, 2013
Actually, the title of this thread does not leave it open for discussion...

Thithing in the New Covenant 10% or what is in your heart.

Doesn't matter what is in your heart, the word tithe means ten percent and cannot mean anything else. So if you are going to tithe in the New Covenant, you are going to give 10%.

H

Hoffco

Eph.2 says, Jesus did away with the O.T. ordinances ; But the rest of the N.T. teaches us that new ordinances took there place: (communion, baptism and laying on of hands. 1.Cor.11:23-34 ; Heb.6:1-2 etc..) The N.T. words must be interpreted by the N.T.. and the word tithe is never given to the Churches. God never changes; but His laws do change, read the bk. of Hebrews. The word, "fulfill" used by Jesus, is interpreted by the N.T. with two meanings: 1. to, FILL FULLY (as with moral laws, to enforce more) or fore-fill,fully or partly, (as in prophecy), to establish, to repeat(as in moral laws , made more clearly, no lusting, which is the O.T. 10th com.. "do not covet". 2. the second meaning of "fulfill" is to DO AWAY WITH, (as with the ordinances of the O.T.. Heb. 7:12) The tithe is never to be preached in the Church, the rule for giving is, as God has "prospered", 1cor.16:2 ; 2Cor.9:7. BUT a tithe is always lawful for a Christian, BUT, never forced! We can say as pastors, you may bring nothing, or a small offering, or a tithe, or all you want to give, as God has prospered you, give. God will bless a "cheerful giver", wither it is time, talents, or treasures. Love to all, Hoffco

Hizikyah

Aug 25, 2013
Psalm 89:34, "My covenant I will not break, nor will I change the Law that has gone out of My lips."

Mattithyah 5:18, "For truly I say to you; Unless heaven and earth passes away, one yodh--the smallest of the letters--will in no way pass from the Law, until all things are perfected."

Isayah 24:1-6, "Behold, Yahweh makes the earth empty and makes it waste, perverts the face of it and scatters abroad its inhabitants;And it will be: as with the people, so with the priest; as with the servant, so with his owner; as with the maid, so with her mistress; as with the buyer, so with the seller; as with the lender, so with the borrower; as with him who takes usury, so with him who gives usury to him: The land will be utterly emptied and utterly plundered, for Yahweh has spoken this word. The earth mourns and fades away, the world mourns and fades away, and the haughty people of the earth alanguish. The earth also is defiled under the inhabitants of it, because they have transgressed the Laws, changed the ordinance, and broken the everlasting covenant. Because of this, the curse has devoured the earth, and they who dwell therein are desolate; therefore, the inhabitants of the earth are burned, and few men left."

Jul 25, 2013
My Bible study group is debating this subject, I say the 10% is old testament and that we are not bound to it any more. when Jesus said it is Finished I believe he closed the book on the old Testament, I believe we give what is in our Hearts but look what Jesus has done for us, 10% I think not I will give all. Please give me your feedback it is very important to me my Brothers and Sisters in Christ.
YOU ARE RIGHT. You reap what you sow. It would be wise to sow all if you are able and cheerfully. For we are under Gods grace and not under law because under the law we are dead in sin because it is impossible for anyone to fulfill law if out side of grace.

And even the poor and homeless should give in any way they can to God as doers of His Word for they shall be rewarded. How much should the rich give? As much as their faith in God. He said, come pick up your cross and follow Me.

People are SO worldly, so materialistic. If people could only see beyond greed and fear and their LACK OF FAITH IN GOD WHO CARE FOR MANKIND instead of relying on self, what great rewards in heaven would await them.

And they sold all their possessions and gave all to the church (the body of Christ) so no one was in need. This is Gods will still today. And you look around today and say, that is impossible to do that. No, nothing is impossible with God.

Aug 28, 2013
I was faced with this decision. I have very limited funds at this time, but one day in church I heard of an amazing cause I wanted to donate to. Unfortunately, I had to choose... 10% tithing or monthly donations to a cause I wanted?

I asked God during church and in my heart He spoke to me. I knew He wanted me to give to a worthy cause, so I decided on that instead of tithing. I do believe that tithing is important though, because the church also needs to supply for the poor as it is a huge source of supplies for them a lot of the time (or should be).

I would ask God. I maintain that if you have the money to do both, that would be great but that doesn't always happen. Tithing is important but given a choice just listen to what God has whispered in your heart. :)
Actually, tithing is not important. If it were, the Apostles would have told us so in the epistles. Especially in the pastoral epistles.

yet, they are silent on the subject.

Aug 28, 2013
God is the same yesterday today an tommrow an he ask for 10% which is really a little amout sence it is all his anyway... anything less than 10% is a lack of faith that God will take care of are needs this is the one thing in the bible God actually tells us to test him on... anything more than 10% is an offering annis also great...thats simiple truth... much love.
while God did say to test Him in the tithe, He did not say it to the Church. He said it to Israel.

and what was the tithe God required? A tithe of agricultural produce. It was not a tithe of money. Money was not titheable in the Mosaic Law.

Aug 28, 2013
Where do you get this stuff?

Christ plainly shows what tithing is and that we should still do it...

Mat 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Don't leave the tithing undone.
This ye ought to have done.
done what?
tithed.
tithed what?
mint, Anise and Cummin.

jesus did not say tithe money.