tongues.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

jackline

i would love to know more about speaking in other tongues.you can tell e anything u know about the subject. thanks.

B

Bobbyking

Hi

I think there are many wonderful books on this subject. I like to recommend the following book (click link below) which benefitted my wife and I greatly when we were studying about his subject many years ago.

Baptism In The Holy Spirit

E

eternally-gratefull

Hi

I think there are many wonderful books on this subject. I like to recommend the following book (click link below) which benefitted my wife and I greatly when we were studying about his subject many years ago.

Baptism In The Holy Spirit
God forbid people. Baptism of the HS is what washes us and places us into the Body of Christ. it is not what gives us gifts. So i would not read this book for anything. if it can't get this right. it is probably in error with most of its stuff!

G

Godslovefree

Study the Word of God on the subject. Anyone says it's evidence of baptism of the holy spirit is a liar
Tongues is a different language to that spoken of your own, not gibberish.
Read Gods word not some books on the subject. It's all nonsense. I use to think it was real til I heard someone speaking it and I heard swear words from my ethnic background said. Now is God going to use foul language to pray to him? The person was a leader in the church.

Best advise, Word of God only

May 2, 2010
It's a gift for all believers!!! Lot's want to say it's not for today and they want to grieve the Holy Spirit by not practicing it .. I for one believe it should be exercised in the context of how the Bible says to use it. :)

Aug 12, 2010
It's a gift for all believers!!! Lot's want to say it's not for today and they want to grieve the Holy Spirit by not practicing it .. I for one believe it should be exercised in the context of how the Bible says to use it. :)
Course its for today...

My mum speaks five tongues..Russian, English, Polish, Yiddish and Hebrew.

Feb 16, 2011
You can read Acts chapter 1 and 2. The apostles are baptised in the Holy Spirit and spoke in tongues. Acts chapter 10, the gentiles are baptised in the Holy Spirit and speak in tongues.

May 21, 2009
I speak in the gift of tongues as much as I can. While speaking in this language from God, God comes and tells you things to help you and others. I would never want to go with out my wonderful gift from God and I thank him so much for it. It's a matter of surrendering your own will over to God and letting him speak, pray through your mouth. You are actually speaking languages you don't know. But we have heard lots of different languages through TV what ever. So you can recognize some of the words as this is Hebrew or Chinese or Indian and such. Our bodies being used for the Spirit of God to pray to God for us how cool is that! Don't let the ones who lack knowledge to upset you they just don't understand they have been lied to by the devil and you must pray for them.

E

eternally-gratefull

You can read Acts chapter 1 and 2. The apostles are baptised in the Holy Spirit and spoke in tongues. Acts chapter 10, the gentiles are baptised in the Holy Spirit and speak in tongues.
If you read romans 6 and 1 cor 12 you will see what the baptism of the HS is. (but you refuse to discuss this for some unknown reason!)

The passages you gave does not mean everyone who is baptised will speak in tongues. nor that it came from this thing.

Feb 16, 2011
If you read romans 6 and 1 cor 12 you will see what the baptism of the HS is. (but you refuse to discuss this for some unknown reason!)

The passages you gave does not mean everyone who is baptised will speak in tongues. nor that it came from this thing.
So you can't just let someone read the Scriptures for themself without your commentary. You are like a Jehovahs Witness or something.

E

eternally-gratefull

So you can't just let someone read the Scriptures for themself without your commentary. You are like a Jehovahs Witness or something.
Well you gave people your idea. we are not aloud to give people ours? Since when did this become a YOU only forum? If you don't like people who do not agree wiht you you need to go someplace else. This place is not for you.

It is you who does not want to discuss romans 6 and 1 cor 12. I am giving everyone else the opportunity. If you do not want to discuss scripture. thats on you. But don't expect the rest of us to stand still and just give into your every whim!

L

Laodicea

The gift of tongues is other languages:-
Acts 2:4-6
(4) And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
(5) And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.
(6) Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

At the tower of Babel God confused the languages so in Acts 2 He simply undone the tower of Babel so the gospel could be spread
Genesis 11:7-9
(7) Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech.
(8) So the LORD scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city.
(9) Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the LORD did there confound the language of all the earth: and from thence did the LORD scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth.

After Jesus was baptized He was filled with the Holy Spirit but , did not speak in tongues, He is our example and if it was so important then He would have spoken in tongues.
Luke 3:21-22
(21) Now when all the people were baptized, it came to pass, that Jesus also being baptized, and praying, the heaven was opened,
(22) And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon him, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased.

The gift of tongues is last on the list of gifts also the Bible says that not everyone receives it.
1 Corinthians 12:28-30
(28) And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues. (last)
(29) Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?
(30) Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

Feb 16, 2011
Well you gave people your idea. we are not aloud to give people ours? Since when did this become a YOU only forum? If you don't like people who do not agree wiht you you need to go someplace else. This place is not for you.

It is you who does not want to discuss romans 6 and 1 cor 12. I am giving everyone else the opportunity. If you do not want to discuss scripture. thats on you. But don't expect the rest of us to stand still and just give into your every whim!

You must really get upset when someone doesn't talk to you. Can't you get it? Just because someone doesn't talk about what you want doesn't mean they are not here to talk about Bible disscusion. I talk to alot of people. Just not you. Frankly, I think your doctrine stinks.

D

dmdave17

Study the Word of God on the subject. Anyone says it's evidence of baptism of the holy spirit is a liar
Tongues is a different language to that spoken of your own, not gibberish.
Read Gods word not some books on the subject. It's all nonsense. I use to think it was real til I heard someone speaking it and I heard swear words from my ethnic background said. Now is God going to use foul language to pray to him? The person was a leader in the church.

Best advise, Word of God only
You are absolutely right! If you read the passages in Acts which describe the Disciples "speaking in tongues", it was so all the Jews from different countries and backgrounds could understand the gospel. There is nothing mysterious about it; it's as though I started speaking Japanese even though I have never been to Japan.

God bless everyone.

Apr 13, 2011
I'm amazed at how many people think they know what tongues is, and what it is for. Most of you haven't got a clue. Its purpose is not at all to spread the gospel. It is for believers, primarily for their individual prayer life with God.

1 Cor 14:
4) He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.
5) I would that ye all spake with tongues...
14) For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.
15) What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.
Jude 1:20 But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,

Jul 3, 2011
I'm amazed at how many people think they know what tongues is, and what it is for. Most of you haven't got a clue. Its purpose is not at all to spread the gospel. It is for believers, primarily for their individual prayer life with God.

1 Cor 14:
4) He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.
5) I would that ye all spake with tongues...
14) For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.
15) What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.
Jude 1:20 But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,
Amen shroom

Dec 19, 2009
i would love to know more about speaking in other tongues.you can tell e anything u know about the subject. thanks.
This is what I think of when the subject of speaking in tongues comes up:

[27] If any speak in a tongue, let there be only two or at most three, and each in turn; and let one interpret.
[28] But if there is no one to interpret, let each of them keep silence in church and speak to himself and to God. 1 Cor 14:27-28 RSV

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
Wow. My motivation to argue this has left me.
What has happened to me?

Jun 24, 2010
quote - Observations Concerning Tongues and the Believer in 1Corinthians 14
  1. If the gift of tongues is truly given to the church then it is given to some and not all (*1Cor 12:10,11).
  2. The gift is given as a sign to unbelievers and should never be used for prophesy (v/22).
  3. If the gift of tongues is exercised it must have an interpretation so that others can understand what is being spoken (v/5,13,27).
  4. Speaking in tongues provides no useful advantage or profit to the church (v/6).
  5. Even if I pray in my spirit in an (unknown) tongue, my understanding is unfruitful without an interpretation (v/13-15).
  6. The instances in scripture where tongues (or languages) were used as a national tongue that people heard in their own language (*Acts 2:6-8).
  7. There is no evidence in scripture of any special language given as an angelic tongue. All instances in scripture of angels visiting and speaking to man was done in a language understood by the recipient with no interpretation of the tongue.
  8. If any member desires the gift of tongues, the gift of prophecy should be encouraged over and above because of the understanding and edification it gives to the church (v/1-5).
  9. In (1Cor 14) there was a problem concerning this gift that Paul had to give instruction so that things would be done in the church decently and in order (v/40).
  10. No other church besides Corinth, in the NT, is recorded as exercising the gift of tongues in prayer or otherwise after Pentecost.
  11. Paul gave no instructions to any pastor-teacher or elder concerning the gift of tongues and its use in any other church.
  12. Caution or Exhortation - If the church come together and all speak in tongues, will not those that are unlearned or unbelievers think the church to be mad (v/23).
There is much more that could be said concerning the gift of tongues and it's usefulness in the church and the unbeliever. A reasonable conclusion for the believer could be this. If you seek the gift of tongues as a gift, you better know what you are seeking, you better know how to use it and for what purpose it is given, you should know who it is subject to and how it is to profit the church and be fruitful. If you don't understand what you are seeking it is better that you leave it alone and go on to perfection (maturity-Heb 6:1).

It is only a gift, it can only last for a duration of time before it is done away with and you do not need it for salvation or to be Spirit-filled or to win the lost. It will not keep you from fulfilling the lust of the flesh nor does it replace any of the commandments that we are to do and to teach. If we do not have that gift we are missing nothing in our relationship with God or with one another. The body of Christ can be edified by grace and truth without that gift. That gift can add nothing to the cross of Christ and does not reveal the righteousness of God. However, if you have that gift and you want to exercise it for the purpose it is given and under subjection to the leadership of the church, then you should not be forbidden to do so decently and in order. - unqoute

N

Nalu

First Corinthians chapter 14 verses 1 through 33.