Total Depravity

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

Scotth1960

I'm not Catholic, but I've extensively read the Ante-Nicene Fathers. True Classical Arminianism (NOT any degree of Pelagianism) has many noteworthy points of truth. I'm a bit more reformed than that.

I maintain my contention that the Calvi/Armi debate is a false dichotomy. We have Ultra-Super-Hyper-Calvinism and Full Pelagianism to affirm the extremes of each. The truth comes from understanding the spirit-soul-body constitution of man
Scotth1960
If that is so, then the truth comes from anthropology, the study of human nature, and not from becoming a partaker of the Divine Nature in the Holy Trinity in the Church. The truth then comes from man, and not from God in the Church (1 Tim. 3:15) in the Church's Tradition, including the Bible (2 Thess. 2:15). Is truth theology or psychology/anthropology/philosophy? Knowing that man is a spirit soul body tells us nothing about who God is, and what God expects from each of us, and what God wants us to obey. It says nothing about the Cross of Christ, and the Resurrection of Christ, which are the basis of salvation for repentant sinners.

and exactly how each was/is affected by sin.[

Feb 23, 2011
I'm not Catholic, but I've extensively read the Ante-Nicene Fathers. True Classical Arminianism (NOT any degree of Pelagianism) has many noteworthy points of truth. I'm a bit more reformed than that.

I maintain my contention that the Calvi/Armi debate is a false dichotomy. We have Ultra-Super-Hyper-Calvinism and Full Pelagianism to affirm the extremes of each. The truth comes from understanding the spirit-soul-body constitution of man
Scotth1960
If that is so, then the truth comes from anthropology, the study of human nature, and not from becoming a partaker of the Divine Nature in the Holy Trinity in the Church. The truth then comes from man, and not from God in the Church (1 Tim. 3:15) in the Church's Tradition, including the Bible (2 Thess. 2:15). Is truth theology or psychology/anthropology/philosophy? Knowing that man is a spirit soul body tells us nothing about who God is, and what God expects from each of us, and what God wants us to obey. It says nothing about the Cross of Christ, and the Resurrection of Christ, which are the basis of salvation for repentant sinners.

You have every right to maintain your indoctrination within the Institutional church mindset.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011

Scotth1960

I think I understand what you are saying. The Truth encompasses all things, right? We don't have to just keep it in its little church box right?

I'm wondering, if, by understanding that man is soul, body, spirit we can get a better understanding of total depravity? A man that follows after his flesh (body) is totally depraved. A man who has been born again and follows after the Spirit of Christ is not governed by the law of the flesh, but by the law of the spirit. The man who follows after the spirit is no longer depraved. Understanding soul, body and spirit doesn't have to take away from The Lord Jesus Christ. Does it?

Feb 23, 2011
I think I understand what you are saying. The Truth encompasses all things, right? We don't have to just keep it in its little church box right?

I'm wondering, if, by understanding that man is soul, body, spirit we can get a better understanding of total depravity? A man that follows after his flesh (body) is totally depraved. A man who has been born again and follows after the Spirit of Christ is not governed by the law of the flesh, but by the law of the spirit. The man who follows after the spirit is no longer depraved. Understanding soul, body and spirit doesn't have to take away from The Lord Jesus Christ. Does it?
Yes, that's very much a part of what I'm saying. :)

Feb 16, 2011
I do not believe in total depravity because it says that we pretty much have to sin. I believe it is always a choice to sin or not. God will hold every sinner accountable for their sins. Total depravity takes away from true confession of sin. "I did it" is alot different than "I had no choice". I believe in man's ability even as sinners to do the right thing. Those who are not born again are not all reprobates and murderers. I do not believe we are the product of the Fall as much as we are sinners by choice.

jb

Feb 27, 2010
Red33

Such a totally depraved and sinful nature have we all inherited from conception through our progenitor Adam, with no if, ands or buts about it. It can not be denied, refuted, intellectualized, rationalized away or forgotten through ignorance because it abides in every living man and woman that has breath and is confirmed by those that have met up with the grave through death.
A few words from the Master's lips:

Matt 18v3: Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Matt 19v14: Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.

And from Paul:

Rom 7v9: For I was alive without the law once...

And finally some from the prophet Isaiah:

Isaiah 53v6: All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way...

Summing up then: All humans have gone astray (by an act of freewill), NOT born astray...

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
I have wondered at the love spoken by Jesus for children, and that we need be like them.
One must consider that children learn everything from their parent, from how to eat, to walk, to know what is harmful, to know right from wrong, to know what is good.
This is the heart of a child that we are called to seek, as we are called His children in Jesus.
Jesus said, to keep our eyes on Him, I see this asked so we will learn from Him.
Rather than looking to depravity, I believe we are called to look to Jesus, and all that is His love , His salvation, the will of the Father taught.

God bless.
pickles

G4JC

Feb 9, 2011
Example of "Total Depravity" gone way to far...
[video=youtube;7NocPVycmS8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NocPVycmS8[/video]

J

jimmydiggs

Example of "Total Depravity" gone way to far...
[video=youtube;7NocPVycmS8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NocPVycmS8[/video]
Mark 13:12
"Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child. Children will
rebel against their parents and have them put to death.

Matthew 20:21
"Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child; children will
rebel against their parents and have them put to death.

Jesus doesn't seem to think it's so nutty.