Was Simon the Sorcerer saved?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Amanuensis

Jun 12, 2021
It certainly does... I wonder if Simon knew the scriptures though; I suppose he did being among the Samaritans- they had Deuteronomy. Their conversation is a little hazy "you need to pray and repent", " You pray for me, so that doesn't happen", that's not a bad thing to ask, but... I feel like I would have asked for more- like, I would ask Peter to help me deal with the situation right then and there; I'd be like "will you pray with me right now and help me fix this?", maybe he was still holding onto something about his life of sorcery... maybe there was an idol he was attached to or something, that he thought he could continue-like it says- in his stubborn ways, he could pay for the power, and it would be "his" to do his sorceries with, or whatever; but that isn't the case- so he had to work through that still.
Yes, how we interpret the "intent" of Simon's response is the question. Some say he was contrite, others say that he was depending on Peter's connection with God to deliver him from the curse of Deut.

If the other historical accounts about Simon can be trusted he did not turn out well. He seems to have constructed false teachings to justify his own stubborn will.

The text does not tell us the end of Simon. It seems to leave us wondering. Meaning it could have gone well with him if he continued in a heart of true repentance and faith but history seems to suggest that he did not.

However what really stands out in the narrative is that God gave Peter discernment to protect the new church in Samaria. These people had been paying attention to Simon for a long time. Now they were paying attention to Phillip preaching about Jesus. What would have happened if Simon had become a church leader with a poisoned heart? Peter protected them from that. Or rather the Gifts of the Holy Spirit in Peter protected them. This same outpouring of the same Holy Spirit that Peter had received on the day of Pentecost that had given him these gifts was poured out on the Samaritans and the same Holy Spirit was giving them gifts. They would be able to perceive false hearts like Simons in the future as well.

The main message is that one of the works of the Holy Spirit in the book of Acts was to protect the saints from false prophets. And the record is recorded to give us faith that we can expect the same.

jb

Feb 27, 2010
Simon believed and was baptized. This would indicate he was saved by anyone's definition. He was contrite when Peter rebuked him. I see nothing to indicate he was anything other than saved.
Seems to be a balanced answer in regards to the Scripture about him...

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
Simon the sorcerer is said to have “believed and was baptized” at the preaching of Philip (Acts 8:13) but later, when Simon offers the apostles money to have their ability to impart the Holy Spirit (verses 18–19), he is rebuked by Peter. Peter answered: May your money perish with you, because you thought you could buy the gift of God with money! You have no part or share in this ministry, because your heart is not right before God. (verses 20-21) Peter went on to tell Simon to repent of his wickedness and said he was poisoned by bitterness and bound by iniquity. That doesn't sound like saved to me.

Simon followed Philip everywhere, astonished by the great signs and miracles he saw. Even though we read that Simon "believed," the remainder of the verse hints at the true object of his belief: "the miracles and signs which were done".

There are different levels of belief, and different objects of belief, and not all that’s called "belief" is saving belief in Christ. In the parable of the soils, we see a shallow, temporary belief that has no root, produces no fruit, lacks moisture and withers away. (Matthew 13:20-21; Luke 8:6). Such soil represents a sinner not properly prepared in heart to believe unto salvation.

John has portrayed people who "believe" but are clearly not saved. There is a stage in the progress of belief in Jesus that "falls short of firmly rooted and established belief resulting in salvation." As we see in John 2:23-25, in which their belief was superficial in nature and Jesus would not entrust/commit Himself to them.

Also, in John 8:31-59, where the Jews who were said to have "believed in him" turn out to be slaves to sin, indifferent to the words of Jesus’, children of the devil, liars, accused Jesus of having a demon and were guilty of setting out to stone and kill the one they have professed to believe in.

In James 2:19, we read that the demons believe "mental assent" that there is one God, yet they do not believe in/have faith in/trust in/reliance in Jesus Christ for salvation. In other words, they do not believe in/on the Lord Jesus Christ (Acts 16:31) and are not saved. Their trust and reliance is in Satan, as demonstrated by their rebellion in heaven and continuous evil works.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
Many believe that Simon the Sorcerer was actually a believer, others say he was not, and still others say he was saved but then lost his salvation. If we interpret scripture correctly, one CANNOT lose their salvation. The book of Ephesians teaches that once someone accepts and believes in the Truth of Jesus Christ, then that person's salvation is "sealed". Concerning Simon the Sorcerer, there is really not a lot to go on. The Bible doesn't say too much about this man. Church leaders such as Justin Martyr describe Simon as having heretical views, claiming that he is known in history as Simon Magus, "Magus" being a term which means sorcerer or magician. In our history books we learn that Simon the Sorcerer had followers called "Simonians" which held certain gnostic beliefs. This also led to the belief that he was one of the originators of Gnosticism. Philip Schaff, author of History of the Christian church, believes Simon was in constant opposition to the Apostle Peter. But not all church leaders have such a bad opinion of Simon. Some have suggested that Scripture points to him having the same saving faith as the rest of the people being baptized in the book of Acts.

Acts 8:13
"Then Simon himself believed also: And when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and wondered, beholding the miracles and signs which were done." It would seem in this passage that Simon received the same saving faith as the people in verse 12 did. Would it not be arbitrary to deny Luke's affirmation of Simon's salvation while accepting his affirmation of the other's?

Acts 8:17-23
Peter and John laid their hands on the people so that they received the Holy Spirit. Simon was amazed at seeing this and asked how he could receive such power. Peter says to him, "Thy money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money." Although Simon had made an outward profession of faith(baptism), his response demonstrates his lack of spiritual life. Every Christian can fall into temptations just as easily as Simon did.

Arguments for Simon's salvation
1. We have to trust and believe that since the author, Luke, who was writing under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, revealed that the Samaritans believed and were baptized and were saved, then we must also have to include Simon.
2. Peter never says that Simon didn't believe nor rejected Christ.
3. Simon responds by asking the Apostles to pray for him, which normally describes a believers response.
Arguments against Simon's salvation
1. Simon practiced sorcery and demonstrated illusions of the mind, which some people would attribute this as a way to discredit God's power.
2. Church leaders take to passages such as Acts 8:21, "heart not being right with God."
3. Simon pleads with Peter to pray for him on his behalf to the Lord. Many take this to mean that if Simon were saved he could have prayed himself and asked God's forgiveness, if he were truly saved.

We should be careful when examining these passages concerning Simon the Sorcerer's salvation. The passages of scripture just doesn't give the reader enough information to make a doctrinal conclusion. But scripture does say that Simon believed. Just because the Bible doesn't mention the Holy Spirit falling upon him, doesn't mean He never did. Simon's NEED in the story many not have been to be saved.......maybe he already was? Maybe it was to repent of specific sins and be forgiven. Grace that saves unbelievers freely will also forgive believers abundantly.
Simon displayed his ignorance as much as anything. I know mature (supposedly) Christians who have fallen into gross sin and others who have been deceived by the devil. Peter's rebuke was sharp but necessary. Simon's response showed repentance. That's a positive. He could have spat the dummy and gone off in a huff.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
I say
Jesus is talking about His death here and his rejection from the elders and chief priests in your quote---------- and Peter is simply rebuking what Jesus is saying ---Peter had no clue that Jesus was meant to die or be rejected ----so Peter was just rejecting what Jesus was saying because he was ignorant as to the Spiritual reason Jesus was sent by His father -----non of the disciples knew that Jesus was sent to die -----and so Peter;s thinking was not on what God wanted but what he saw as not happening ---AND ------Jesus says That -----For you are not mindful of the things of God, but the things of men."

So what is your point here -----????----
There is no comparison between Simon and Peter if that is your point -------

Simon heart was never with God ---it was with his own self interest ----Peter was just ignorant as to why Jesus was sent ----

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Compare this -------Peter was the only one who knew who Jesus was ------this was revealed to Peter by God -----Peter's heart was with God ----and Wisdom and knowledge is given to him by God

Mark 8:27-30

Amplified Bible

Peter’s Confession of Christ

27 Then Jesus and His disciples went out to the villages of [a]Caesarea Philippi; and on the way He asked His disciples, “Who do people say that I am?”

28 They answered Him, “John the Baptist; and others say Elijah; but others, one of the prophets.”

29 And He asked them, “But who do you say that I am?” Peter replied to Him, “You [in contrast to the others] are the Christ (the Messiah, the Anointed).”

30 Then Jesus strictly warned them not to tell anyone about Him.
When it's written that Simon "believed and was baptized" - - he believed and confessed what? The same that Peter did, that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, was born and died for us and rose and ascended, and will come again. So in this Peter has no advantage over Simon but is equal.

And when Christ Himself says to Peter that he savorest not the things of God but the things of men, is that not exactly tantamount to saying Peter's heart is not right? So then Peter again has no advantage over Simon in either faith or in stumbling, because both are present in each.

Do we press further and say because Jesus calls Peter Satan perhaps Peter is in a worse position? I don't think we should. I think what we should do instead is consider this: if Simon, having believed and then stumbled, is not saved - are ANY of us saved?

Judge with the same measure you yourself would be judged by.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Simon the sorcerer is said to have “believed and was baptized” at the preaching of Philip (Acts 8:13) but later, when Simon offers the apostles money to have their ability to impart the Holy Spirit (verses 18–19), he is rebuked by Peter. Peter answered: May your money perish with you, because you thought you could buy the gift of God with money! You have no part or share in this ministry, because your heart is not right before God. (verses 20-21) Peter went on to tell Simon to repent of his wickedness and said he was poisoned by bitterness and bound by iniquity. That doesn't sound like saved to me.

Simon followed Philip everywhere, astonished by the great signs and miracles he saw. Even though we read that Simon "believed," the remainder of the verse hints at the true object of his belief: "the miracles and signs which were done".

There are different levels of belief, and different objects of belief, and not all that’s called "belief" is saving belief in Christ. In the parable of the soils, we see a shallow, temporary belief that has no root, produces no fruit, lacks moisture and withers away. (Matthew 13:20-21; Luke 8:6). Such soil represents a sinner not properly prepared in heart to believe unto salvation.

John has portrayed people who "believe" but are clearly not saved. There is a stage in the progress of belief in Jesus that "falls short of firmly rooted and established belief resulting in salvation." As we see in John 2:23-25, in which their belief was superficial in nature and Jesus would not entrust/commit Himself to them.

Also, in John 8:31-59, where the Jews who were said to have "believed in him" turn out to be slaves to sin, indifferent to the words of Jesus’, children of the devil, liars, accused Jesus of having a demon and were guilty of setting out to stone and kill the one they have professed to believe in.

In James 2:19, we read that the demons believe "mental assent" that there is one God, yet they do not believe in/have faith in/trust in/reliance in Jesus Christ for salvation. In other words, they do not believe in/on the Lord Jesus Christ (Acts 16:31) and are not saved. Their trust and reliance is in Satan, as demonstrated by their rebellion in heaven and continuous evil works.
John 10:37-38
If I do not do the works of My Father, do not believe Me; but if I do, though you do not believe Me, believe the works, that you may know and believe that the Father [is] in Me, and I in Him.

Is Jesus saying that believing because of signs and miracles is acceptable?

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Peter went on to tell Simon to repent of his wickedness and said he was poisoned by bitterness and bound by iniquity. That doesn't sound like saved to me.
"get thee behind me, Satan" doesn't really have the connotation of salvation or a right heart, either.

So what we do with Peter, saying, 'oh he's growing in his faith still, and this is only one instance in his life..' - - do we have respect of persons or do we show the same deference to all that have at another time confessed faith?

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
Pencil me in for likely saved.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
As we see in John 2:23-25, in which their belief was superficial in nature and Jesus would not entrust/commit Himself to them.
Because they were focused on the gift and not the Giver. There was no recognition of who Jesus really was and what they really were. No recognition no repentance. The seed did not take root.

As for Simon......who really knows? I hope he did see Jesus for Who He really was, did repent, abide and was saved.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
I read in verse 9 that he "previously" practiced sorcery, not that he continued in it after having believed. And I read in verse 24 that when he was rebuked he did not despise it but asked for prayer, seeking mercy - which seems to me to be in keeping with repentance.

All of us stumble and have need of forgiveness - even Peter who rebuked Simon was himself rebuked at times. Because Peter stumbled do i imagine he is not saved? No, I read that Peter believed. Likewise I read that Simon also believed.
Peter, despite his failures and errors did not "change god's" or walk away from his Lord.

Same goes for David.

Nobody is going to call either of these two unsaved.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
It certainly does... I wonder if Simon knew the scriptures though; I suppose he did being among the Samaritans- they had Deuteronomy. Their conversation is a little hazy "you need to pray and repent", " You pray for me, so that doesn't happen", that's not a bad thing to ask, but... I feel like I would have asked for more- like, I would ask Peter to help me deal with the situation right then and there; I'd be like "will you pray with me right now and help me fix this?", maybe he was still holding onto something about his life of sorcery... maybe there was an idol he was attached to or something, that he thought he could continue-like it says- in his stubborn ways, he could pay for the power, and it would be "his" to do his sorceries with, or whatever; but that isn't the case- so he had to work through that still.
In the passage in Deuteronomy 29 the sin being described is worshipping other gods - by Simon asking Peter to intercede for him in prayer, what God is Simon asking for grace from but the God of Peter?

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
I wouldn't say they are the same thing but they are closely related.

John 3
3Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again. ”
What is salvation? How do we receive it? How do we know we have received it?

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
If Simon hadn't been a sorcerer in the past, would you answer differently?

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
I think he was saved: he believed.
My heart's not always right with God - when I let my mind drift where it ought not.
Thou hast neither part nor lot in this matter: for thy heart is not right in the sight of God. Acts 8:21 (KJV)
"This matter" is laying on of hands for people to receive the Holy Ghost. I've never had a part in that matter - even when my heart IS right with God.
Practical sanctification (after salvation) is a life long process; which involves repenting of one's wickedness, getting out of the gall of bitterness, and getting freed from the bond of iniquity.
Interesting that Philip could not lay hands on them and impart the Holy Spirit, and that the Spirit did not fill them either at belief or baptism, as He did in other places like Acts 10-11.

Would anyone dare speculate Philip is not saved?

Acts 8:14-16
Now when the apostles who were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent Peter and John to them, who, when they had come down, prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit. For as yet He had fallen upon none of them. They had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
if Simon, having believed and then stumbled, is not saved - are ANY of us saved?
Get this --------and ask the Holy Spirit for your understanding of what this says------Read verses 21-22--

21 You have neither part nor lot in this matter, for your heart is all wrong in God’s sight [it is not straightforward or right or true before God].

I say ---What is it that you don't understand here ---------YOUR HEART IS ALL WRONG IN GOD"S SIGHT --His heart has not been drawn by God to have the right Believe --the right Faith -----His faith was intellectual Faith -----it was not saving faith -------He saw

Many say they are saved but few really are ------The Pharisees thought they were saved ---they believed --in God and heard the Word -----they were whitewashed on the outside only -------their hearts were far from God ----their faith was not Saving faith -------

22 So repent of this depravity and wickedness of yours and pray to the Lord that, if possible, this [a]contriving thought and purpose of your heart may be removed and disregarded and forgiven you.

I say ---verse 22 -says ---So Repent of this depravity and wickedness ---if Simon was saved he would have never offered money to have the Holy spirit come on him ----he would have just received it like the others -----His heart was not with God ------his motive was SELF DRIVEN ----not God

You need to understand that just saying you believe doesn't mean your saved -------

From got Questions

https://www.gotquestions.org/believe-not-saved.html

Can a person believe in some sense but not be saved?

There are different levels of belief, and different objects of belief, and not all that’s called “belief” is actually saving faith. James 2:19 says, “You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.” So, if a person simply believes that there is a God in heaven—and that’s the extent of his faith—then he has exactly the same faith as the demons of hell. That’s not saving faith, even though it involves a measure of belief. Therefore, yes, a person can “believe” in some sense but not be saved.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
Interesting that Philip could not lay hands on them and impart the Holy Spirit, and that the Spirit did not fill them either at belief or baptism, as He did in other places like Acts 10-11.

Would anyone dare speculate Philip is not saved?

Acts 8:14-16
Now when the apostles who were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent Peter and John to them, who, when they had come down, prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit. For as yet He had fallen upon none of them. They had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
I would speculate to say that God refrained from such an action until Peter and John (2 witnesses) were at hand.

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
if Simon, having believed and then stumbled, is not saved - are ANY of us saved?
Get this --------and ask the Holy Spirit for your understanding of what this says------Read verses 21-22--

21 You have neither part nor lot in this matter, for your heart is all wrong in God’s sight [it is not straightforward or right or true before God].

I say ---What is it that you don't understand here ---------YOUR HEART IS ALL WRONG IN GOD"S SIGHT --His heart has not been drawn by God to have the right Believe --the right Faith -----His faith was intellectual Faith -----it was not saving faith -------He saw

Many say they are saved but few really are ------The Pharisees thought they were saved ---they believed --in God and heard the Word -----they were whitewashed on the outside only -------their hearts were far from God ----their faith was not Saving faith -------

22 So repent of this depravity and wickedness of yours and pray to the Lord that, if possible, this [a]contriving thought and purpose of your heart may be removed and disregarded and forgiven you.

I say ---verse 22 -says ---So Repent of this depravity and wickedness ---if Simon was saved he would have never offered money to have the Holy spirit come on him ----he would have just received it like the others -----His heart was not with God ------his motive was SELF DRIVEN ----not God driven

From got Questions

https://www.gotquestions.org/believe-not-saved.html

Can a person believe in some sense but not be saved?

There are different levels of belief, and different objects of belief, and not all that’s called “belief” is actually saving faith. James 2:19 says, “You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.” So, if a person simply believes that there is a God in heaven—and that’s the extent of his faith—then he has exactly the same faith as the demons of hell. That’s not saving faith, even though it involves a measure of belief. Therefore, yes, a person can “believe” in some sense but not be saved.

Snacks

Feb 10, 2022
The book of Ephesians teaches that once someone accepts and believes in the Truth of Jesus Christ, then that person's salvation is "sealed".
Shhh 🤫
Some people hate that glorious truth.