What Bible does everyone own? Or what translation do you use?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Aug 15, 2009
I have several in my Bible study software, but my favorite is the NASB. For parallel study, I use KJV and the NASB for accuracy, and the NLT to break that down into simple language.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Well I have many versions of the bible, but to me the word of God is the word of God. kjv is good but i find it a bit hard to understand. some say it's the only reliable version, but I have been helped by all kinds of versions.

J

jinx

Well I have many versions of the bible, but to me the word of God is the word of God. kjv is good but i find it a bit hard to understand. some say it's the only reliable version, but I have been helped by all kinds of versions.
I look at it like this.... I have read the KJV to know that when I read the NLT that if something isn't adding up I can go back to the KJV then use the strongs to get further information.

one time, IDK where it where but I read a verse and I couldn't understand it, so I looked it up in the NIV and realized that the thing I didn't understand in that passage was that the girl was preggers. then it made sense. LOL.

SparkleEyes

Mar 23, 2013
Mostly I use the NIV. Sometimes I look to the Message - Yeah, i am going to get flak. The Message is not the most literal translation, but it does provide some contemporary clarification to some of the more confusing passages. :cool:

Aug 15, 2009
I used to hate paraphrase Bibles, because I thought they were way out there. But now I understand, when used properly, a paraphrase can aid a translation Bible to bring simplicity in the true meaning. But both must fully agree before I accept the paraphrase's translation.

T

Tintin

I forgot to mention, I also own and sometimes use The Message. I love the conversational language but there are some strange Americanisms and rather stodgy, confusing, complex passages that actually make far more sense in other more literal translations. Some passages are pure art though.