What do you do for your Sabbath?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

Jordache

My church just finished a series and the last message was on keeping a sabbath. I do not mean sabbath as in a rigid old covenant sort. Rather than get into a debate about whether we should practice Sabbath, I just want to know what you do or would like to do to for a Sabbath.

Oct 31, 2011
On Friday night I light two candles, very like the people who follow Judaism do. The first candle is for the Sabbath, thanking God for setting aside a day. With the second I ask God to bless my whole family. I do a lot of study on Saturday, and visiting. On Saturday night, I have prayer thanking God for my day and blowing out the candles I have relit. I also have a little jar of spices that I smell as a signal that my worldly senses are taking over and Sabbath is over.

H

hislastwalk

I run, work, etc.

leelee

Sep 5, 2011
i tend to catch up with friends, chill with a film, speak to my family (i live away from them) read and have a long bath. i basically relax.

Dude653

Mar 19, 2011
I go to church

Stuey

Aug 17, 2009
I don't follow a Sabbath as such, but I do try to have at least one day off per week.

P

printhom

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth, GEN1:1 He then ended his work on the sixth day. He rested on the seventh day (GEN 2:1-3) , not because he was tired, but because he wanted to set an example for us. It is a day that is set aside for us to spend time with God. A day when we put aside all work and pleasure activity and rest in the Lord. It is a day to go to church, tell someone about Christ, do charity, visit someone who is sick etc.

EXO. 20: 8-11 REMEMBER THE SABBATH DAY TO KEEP IT HOLY.SIX DAYS SHALL THOU LABOUR AND DO THY WORK: BUT THE SEVENTH DAY IS THE SABBATH OF THE LORD THY GOD: IN IT THOU SHALL NOT DO ANY WORK, THOU NOR THY SON NOR THY DAUGHTER, THY MANSERVANT, NOR THY MAIDSERVANT, NOR THY CATTLE, NOR THY STRANGER THAT IS WITHIN THY GATES: FOR IN SIX DAYS THE LORD MADE THE HEAVEN AND THE EARTH, THE SEA AND ALL THAT I THEM IS, AND RESTED THE SEVENTH DAY: WHEREFORE THE LORD BLESS THE SABBATH DAY AND HALLOWED IT.

MARK 2: 27-28 And He (Jesus) said unto them, the sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath: Therefore the Son of man (Jesus) is Lord of the sabbath. Jesus himself kept the sabbath.

Look at it from this point of view; if you have fiance or spouse wouldn't you spend time with that person alone. Even though you may go out with friends, visit family go to public places, there will be a time when you want it just the two of you.
Likewise, the sabbath is a time for us to spend time with God. Even though we may do good and worship him through out the week, there comes a time when we need to place our focus on God and forget about everything else. It is a blessing for us to rest in Him. I revives the soul and gives renewed strength to face the coming week.

God chooses the day for us not we ourselves.
Give it a try and let me know how it was.

T

Tom_123

I work with teens in Sabbath school.

H

hattiebod

I think it is important to have a day 'off' how we spend it is up to the individual, how they feel called to spend it, i do not think we need to get legalistic about it. God can be met in the church but also on the hills, just as meaningfully. I do like going to church and attend as often as I can but as my darling husband Does not know the Lord, sometimes i spend time with him, as this is very important too. It's also important to remember many folks cannot get to a church and others have to work at weekends, nurses for example cannot take a day off at the weekend....so another good reason not to get 'legalistic' regarding the actual day we take to rest. Christs death on the cross freed us to celebrate & worship God in a way that fits us in our relationship with Him. God Bless, <><

john832

May 31, 2013
We rest.
It is a great time to get some extra study and prayer. More than the usual on a regular weekday.
We attend Sabbath services. Great time to worship God and here His word taught.
We have family, friends adn or brethren in for dinner and enjoy one another's company.
We visit those who are sick, in the nursing home, the shutins, etc.

May 3, 2013
Monday: Moon...
SUN-day: To go to the beach.

We have inherited names from Saturn (Saturdays) and the Holy Empire still laughs at the traditions we keep without noticing some we were born pagans.

J

jinx

I don't follow the sabbath but have mad respect for people who do something special on their sabbath day. That is their day they set aside for GOD. Wish I was so dedicated. I find it hard to even fast a meal :(

J

jinx

I do go to church on Sundays both day and night time, take a nap in between.