what does it mean

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
H

hattiebod

Azura i didnt say they where just vain relgious practices i myself do those things an i said they are good to do an what im trying to point out is sometimes people focus so much on just the relgious parts of christianity that they forget to love.. an yes the sermon is lackin for now because i havent actually sat down with a bible an wrote it yet that was all just basic off the top of my head and yes i asked for feedback but not a single person yey has even said what they thought about or given ideas of what else i might put in it all theyve down is posted other things they think are important which they are but they dont havt to do with the subject originally presented its more like thede postinh what they wouldwrite as a sermon instead of giving me feedback on mine..
Oh! I thought everyone was giving feedback, things brought to mind by your OP, talking about love, obedience, love, Christ, God, walking in love....have I missed something? What can we do to help? I thought things were going rather well:) <><

Mar 29, 2013
I havent really read one i would consider feed on the sermon more like telling me about other things that are important like obidience which they are important but the sermon isnt about them its about love it be nice to right a sermon that talks about everything important in the bible but wed be in church for a couple does if i did..... whay i consider feedback is like o thats a good point there hey here is a scripture that would go with thwt or hmmm idk if i would say that you might wanna say this instead there.

Jan 24, 2013
This is off topic stop trying to turn threads into a self-serving diatribe about the evils of money please.

thanks!
This is the ONLY topic. It ties perfectly with this discussion. It was asked what does it mean to be a Christian. Let the verses speak for themselves.

J

jody50

What does it mean to be a christian.. does it mean we share scriptures with people or that we get up an go to church an sing praise to the most high does it mean wr pay our tithes no all of these things are great to do but all of these things are religion an my God is not a God of religion he is a God of love.. Christ says For i was hungred and ye gave me meat i was thirsty and ye gave me drink i was w stranger and ye took me in naked and ye vistied me i was in prision an ye came unto me then shall the righteous answer him saying lord when we fsaw we thee an hungred and fed thee or thirsty an gave the drink when saw thee a stranger an took thee in. Or naked an clothed thee or when saw thee sick or in prison an came to the and the king shall answer an say unto them verily i say unto you inasmuch as ye have done it unto o e of the least of these my brethern ye have done it unto me... to be a christians means to be christ like an the one thing christ shared more than anything was his love.. rough draft of my new sermon to preach what yall think... God bless.
I agree God is a God of love. Without His love and grace we would all be lost. But God says in John 14;15 "If you love Me you will keep My commandments." So, He Himself says we have to obey His commands, not just love Him and others. Of course that is included. We are told in Mark 16:16 "He that believes and is baptized shall be saved". In Acts 2:38 it says, "Repent amd be baptized everyone of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of you sins" We can't just pick one thing to do. We have to obey ALL of God's commands.

L

livingepistle

What does it mean to be a christian.. does it mean we share scriptures with people or that we get up an go to church an sing praise to the most high does it mean wr pay our tithes no all of these things are great to do but all of these things are religion an my God is not a God of religion he is a God of love.. Christ says For i was hungred and ye gave me meat i was thirsty and ye gave me drink i was w stranger and ye took me in naked and ye vistied me i was in prision an ye came unto me then shall the righteous answer him saying lord when we fsaw we thee an hungred and fed thee or thirsty an gave the drink when saw thee a stranger an took thee in. Or naked an clothed thee or when saw thee sick or in prison an came to the and the king shall answer an say unto them verily i say unto you inasmuch as ye have done it unto o e of the least of these my brethern ye have done it unto me... to be a christians means to be christ like an the one thing christ shared more than anything was his love.. rough draft of my new sermon to preach what yall think... God bless.
My thoughts: I believe this to be an excellent thread because it is basic and to the point. I have found “when confused with the present events look to the historical past concerning the facts of the matter”.

Acts 2:46; “And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,”

This was the first way the early Church would assemble. Later they assembled at central locations or large homes of wealthy Christians; i.e., Corinthian Church, so on and so forth.

James 1:27 “Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.”

Matthew 5:20 “For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.”

Hebrews 10:25 “Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.”

Assembling ourselves together as Christians to break “Spiritual” bread, praise and worship Jesus, and encourage one another is proper Christian behavior. Coming to Church should also include pure religion but it goes beyond just religion.

Public charity is different from the works that you mention in your thread, which apply to the House of Faith. Jesus is using a compound analogy: Meaning, he was preaching to the House of Israel. The Pharisees, Sadducee, and Scribes of that era were caring only for themselves; when they did something for the poor (Jews) among their communities; the charitable act was performed publicly for all to see and charity was more often extended to receive accolades from those that could reciprocate in like manner.

Second, the statement “…least of these my brethren…” is a prophetic statement to us and obviously to those present before Him. We are to perform the perfect work of (pure) religion to the Church and the poor among us first and then to the World. “How many poor are there among us in our own congregation?” Jesus started with the House of Israel, then the Gentiles in Matthew 15:21-28.

The Apostles begin charity at home first, then to the world:
Acts 2:44 And all that believed were together, and had all things common; 45] And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need. 46] And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart, 47] Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

Where the scriptures mention the phrase "...as every man had need..." is speaking of charitable acts to Brothers and Sisters. One of the main reasons the Lord was able to add to the Church daily is because the Church was loving one another in Spirit and in (material) deed.

My answer according to the scriptures is yes, everything you mentioned in this thread should be performed "All Inclusively" and without reserve; let Love reign.

Submitted with the Love of Christ Jesus and with respect for all parties concerned.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dyingeveryday

1 John 3:23And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment

there are many scriptures on Love, But I think that where a lot is mistaken is what is true Love and for me the best place I found this is in 1 Cor.13:4-13
1 Corinthians 13:4-13

New King James Version (NKJV)

[SUP]4 [/SUP]Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; [SUP]5 [/SUP]does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; [SUP]6 [/SUP]does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; [SUP]7 [/SUP]bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
[SUP]8 [/SUP]Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. [SUP]9 [/SUP]For we know in part and we prophesy in part. [SUP]10 [/SUP]But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away.
[SUP]11 [/SUP]When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. [SUP]12 [/SUP]For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.
[SUP]13 [/SUP]And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.
I agree. Definitely the best definition of love. Also Galatians 5: 22-23.

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
I havent really read one i would consider feed on the sermon more like telling me about other things that are important like obidience which they are important but the sermon isnt about them its about love it be nice to right a sermon that talks about everything important in the bible but wed be in church for a couple does if i did..... whay i consider feedback is like o thats a good point there hey here is a scripture that would go with thwt or hmmm idk if i would say that you might wanna say this instead there.
feed on any sermon to me at anytime anyplace anywhere is
Matt. 10:20
[SUP]20 [/SUP]for it will not be you speaking, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you.
This is for us to us and the context is as you are dragged into synagogues and courts for Christ's name sake, was written abut and to his disciples, and since you believe you are a disciple yes?
Then why do we as people have to getourselves all dressed up, smelling all good act as if we are good when we are not, only GOD is good, why can't we just say it is and present whatever needs presented as God leads, wnhy are we so in the way?