What does the bible say about Traditions?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
Mark 7:5-9
5 Then the Pharisees and scribes asked him, Why walk not thy disciples according to the tradition of the elders, but eat bread with unwashen hands?
6 He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me.
7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
8 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.
9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.

Some people value their religion over the Lord.

Dec 5, 2012

Oh. You are Roman Catholic. Okay. That explains why you would say that.

In just sticking with the topic, brother, let's point out certain contentions that is going beyond what you and most Catholics are saying.
To understand this we need to understand LOVE. What is good and pleasing to God? He wants us to love one another and Love Him above all. Revelation 8 shows us that the saints are offering prayers to God in the form of incense. This is good and pleasing to God. In 1 Timothy 2:1-4 Saint Paul tells us to pray for one another, this is good and pleasing to God, just like we ask the Blessed Virgin Mary and the saints to pray for us. Jesus became the mediator of the new covenant just like Moses was the mediator of the old covenant, as you can find in Hebrews and Galatians. Now you might say they are dead, then why did Moses and Elijah appeared to the apostles and why was it important to write it? Clearly He is the God of the Living. Then you might say, but Deuteronomy says something against conjuring up spirits. Read it again, we are not to conjure up spirits for purposes of gaining information, we are to hear the prophets. Bottom line, yes it is good to go directly to Jesus there is no argument in that, but what is wrong to ask our brothers and sisters to pray for us? If you object to this then, why should we pray for each other? tell them they need to go directly to Jesus and not you. But that would be harsh right? Because that would be hate not love.

Your first prayer Prayer to St. Peregrine - Patron of Cancer Patients
It seems you clearly missed - - "If it is agreeable to God"

Your second prayer Prayer to St. Andrew
you forgot to post the ending
"Aided in this way by your powerful intercession, we shall sing to God, now and for all eternity, a song of gratitude for His great goodness and mercy. Amen"

Intercession is PRAYER.

And this is a summary of his life:

St. Peregrine was born in 1260 at Forlì, Italy to an affluent family. He lived a comfortable life as a youth, and politically opposed the papacy. After he experienced the forgiveness of St. Philip Benizi, he changed his life and joined the Servite order. He was ordained a priest, and later returned to his home to establish a Servite community. There he was widely known for his preaching, penances, and counsel in the confessional. He was cured of cancer, after he received a vision of Christ on the cross reaching out His hand to touch his impaired limb. He died in 1345 and was canonized in 1726. He is the patron of cancer patients.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
To understand this we need to understand LOVE. What is good and pleasing to God? He wants us to love one another and Love Him above all. Revelation 8 shows us that the saints are offering prayers to God in the form of incense. This is good and pleasing to God. In 1 Timothy 2:1-4 Saint Paul tells us to pray for one another, this is good and pleasing to God, just like we ask the Blessed Virgin Mary and the saints to pray for us. Jesus became the mediator of the new covenant just like Moses was the mediator of the old covenant, as you can find in Hebrews and Galatians. Now you might say they are dead, then why did Moses and Elijah appeared to the apostles and why was it important to write it? Clearly He is the God of the Living. Then you might say, but Deuteronomy says something against conjuring up spirits. Read it again, we are not to conjure up spirits for purposes of gaining information, we are to hear the prophets. Bottom line, yes it is good to go directly to Jesus there is no argument in that, but what is wrong to ask our brothers and sisters to pray for us? If you object to this then, why should we pray for each other? tell them they need to go directly to Jesus and not you. But that would be harsh right? Because that would be hate not love.

"Aided in this way by your powerful intercession, we shall sing to God, now and for all eternity, a song of gratitude for His great goodness and mercy. Amen"

Intercession is PRAYER.

St. Peregrine was born in 1260 at Forlì, Italy to an affluent family. He lived a comfortable life as a youth, and politically opposed the papacy. After he experienced the forgiveness of St. Philip Benizi, he changed his life and joined the Servite order. He was ordained a priest, and later returned to his home to establish a Servite community. There he was widely known for his preaching, penances, and counsel in the confessional. He was cured of cancer, after he received a vision of Christ on the cross reaching out His hand to touch his impaired limb. He died in 1345 and was canonized in 1726. He is the patron of cancer patients.
The Book of Hebrews goes over this sort of thing by declaring that we have a mediator who has entered into the veil, has experienced our infirmities and ever liveth to make intercession for men. Paul states in Timothy that there is one mediator between God and man, the Man Jesus Christ. Rome and the East are constantly dangling 'mediators' of all sorts before us. To place another mediator between God and man other than the One God instituted (His Son) is idolatry.

Dec 21, 2012
To understand this we need to understand LOVE. What is good and pleasing to God? He wants us to love one another and Love Him above all. Revelation 8 shows us that the saints are offering prayers to God in the form of incense. This is good and pleasing to God.

That is not to be taken as burning incense to a patron saint or to Mary for that matter.

In 1 Timothy 2:1-4 Saint Paul tells us to pray for one another, this is good and pleasing to God, just like we ask the Blessed Virgin Mary and the saints to pray for us.

Praying is an act given towards a god.

Asking someone in this life to pray for you is all you are going to find in the Bible.

Jesus became the mediator of the new covenant just like Moses was the mediator of the old covenant, as you can find in Hebrews and Galatians. Now you might say they are dead, then why did Moses and Elijah appeared to the apostles and why was it important to write it? Clearly He is the God of the Living. Then you might say, but Deuteronomy says something against conjuring up spirits. Read it again, we are not to conjure up spirits for purposes of gaining information, we are to hear the prophets. Bottom line, yes it is good to go directly to Jesus there is no argument in that, but what is wrong to ask our brothers and sisters to pray for us? If you object to this then, why should we pray for each other? tell them they need to go directly to Jesus and not you. But that would be harsh right? Because that would be hate not love.

When I see ads in the paper that praying to a certain saint means a guaranteed answer to prayer, you are not giving credit to Jesus Christ for answering that prayer. The obstinance of not going to Jesus in teh first place is proving this errant practise hypocritical at its best for praying to anyone else besides Jesus Christ.

When Jesus Christ answers the prayer: God is glorified in the Son. NOBODY else can answer that prayer nor make that intercession. God would NOT BE AGREEABLE to have anyone else answer that prayer nor make that intercession because there is no one beside Him which is why the Father & the Son are One.

Isaiah 44: 6 Thus saith the Lord the King of Israel, and his redeemer the Lord of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God. 7 And who, as I, shall call, and shall declare it, and set it in order for me, since I appointed the ancient people? and the things that are coming, and shall come, let them shew unto them. 8 Fear ye not, neither be afraid: have not I told thee from that time, and have declared it? ye are even my witnesses. Is there a God beside me? yea, there is no God; I know not any. 9 They that make a graven image are all of them vanity; and their delectable things shall not profit; and they are their own witnesses; they see not, nor know; that they may be ashamed. 10 Who hath formed a god, or molten a graven image that is profitable for nothing?

Isaiah 45: 5 I am the Lord, and there is none else, there is no God beside me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me: 6 That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside me. I am the Lord, and there is none else. ...........20 Assemble yourselves and come; draw near together, ye that are escaped of the nations: they have no knowledge that set up the wood of their graven image, and pray unto a god that cannot save. 21 Tell ye, and bring them near; yea, let them take counsel together: who hath declared this from ancient time? who hath told it from that time? have not I the Lord? and there is no God else beside me; a just God and a Saviour; there is none beside me. 22 Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else. 23 I have sworn by myself, the word is gone out of my mouth in righteousness, and shall not return, That unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear. 24 Surely, shall one say, in the Lord have I righteousness and strength: even to him shall men come;

Isaiah 30:1Woe to the rebellious children, saith the Lord, that take counsel, but not of me; and that cover with a covering, but not of my spirit, that they may add sin to sin: 2 That walk to go down into Egypt, and have not asked at my mouth; to strengthen themselves in the strength of Pharaoh, and to trust in the shadow of Egypt! 3 Therefore shall the strength of Pharaoh be your shame, and the trust in the shadow of Egypt your confusion.

Isaiah 40:13 Who hath directed the Spirit of the Lord, or being his counsellor hath taught him? 14 With whom took he counsel, and who instructed him, and taught him in the path of judgment, and taught him knowledge, and shewed to him the way of understanding?

No saint is a god to be praying to, bro. Praying to God means coming to Him in prayer and no one else.

It is not agreeable by God to have Peregrine intercede in that matter before that throne of grace nor is it agreeable to God to have that saint who is not a god to be answering that prayer.

Intercession is PRAYER.

All I see is... believers STILL not wanting to come directly to Jesus in prayer, but they will come directly to some other saint in prayer to pray for them.

If we are to abtsain from allappearances of evil, how then can the religions of the world not see the RCC riddled with idols that they pray to?

Do not some idols & pictures weep & bleed for believers to flock to them and pray to them liken unto a god? This is not good & in no way would God ever endorse that to move the spotlight off of the Son.

John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. 40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life. 41 I receive not honour from men. 42 But I know you, that ye have not the love of God in you. 43 I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive. 44 How can ye believe, which receive honour one of another, and seek not the honour that cometh from God only? 45 Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father: there is one that accuseth you, even Moses, in whom ye trust. 46 For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me; for he wrote of me. 47 But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?

Go before that throne of grace and ask Jesus for discernment and wisdom on this matter now, brother.