What exactly is the unforgivable sin?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
To understand what Jesus is referring to we must understand the nature of evil verses the sin nature in man that produces sins. There are two kinds of evil, (kakos) evil which is intrinsic evil that abides in the heart of man connected with the sin nature in man even when he does good as in (Romans 7:21). The second kind is (poneros) which is an evil that is full of labors and has its reference and source in the devil as the wicked one in (Matt 6:13). When a person or group is involved with this kind of evil from the evil one, that comes from without and infects the evil (kakos) within, this evil God must deliver them from less they be in danger of hell fire (not the believer but the unbeliever). It is not forgivable because it came from the evil one as a source and resulted in many active labors to slander the work of the Spirit as unclean. Peter came very close to this when he rebuked the Lord in (Matt 16:23). Aninias and Sapphire also came very close to this when Satan conceived a lie in their heart against the Holy Spirit and were struck dead in (Acts 5). Peter was delivered from this when the Lord prayed for him that his faith fail not (Luke 22:31,32) and the couple in (Acts 5) were delivered through death less they continue in this strategy of the devil to slander the work of the Holy Spirit in the church.

Please show me the specific Scripture that states that these two were "saved" from judgement and "delivered." They paid the price for their blaspheme of the Holy Spirit.............DEATH...........what Scripture says they STILL received eternal life?

I understand perfectly what Jesus is saying..........no need to wordplay to support an interpretation. His words are crystal clear...............Blaspheme of the Holy Spirit WILL NOT BE FORGIVEN...........neither in this world, neither in the next......

Apostol2013

Jan 27, 2013
In mac arthurs case it is sad , some proffesed christians have

Apostol2013

Jan 27, 2013
KJV Dictionary Definition: evil

evil

E'VIL, a. e'vl. Heb. to be unjust or injurious, to defraud.

1. Having bad qualities of a natural kind; mischievous; having qualities which tend to injury, or to produce mischief.

Some evil beast hath devoured him. Gen.37.

2. Having bad qualities of a moral kind; wicked; corrupt; perverse; wrong; as evil thoughts; evil deeds; evil speaking; an evil generation.

3. Unfortunate; unhappy; producing sorrow, distress, injury or calamity; as evil tidings; evil arrows; evil days.

E'VIL, n. Evil is natural or moral. Natural evil is any thing which produces pain, distress, loss or calamity, or which in any way disturbs the peace, impairs the happiness, or destroys the perfection of natural beings.

Moral evil is any deviation of a moral agent from the rules of conduct prescribed to him by God, or by legitimate human authority; or it is any violation of the plain principles of justice and rectitude.

There are also evils called civil, which affect injuriously the peace or prosperity of a city or state; and political evils, which injure a nation, in its public capacity.

All wickedness, all crimes, all violations of law and right are moral evils. Diseases are natural evils, but they often proceed from moral evils.

2. Misfortune; mischief; injury.

There shall no evil befall thee. Ps.91.

A prudent man foreseeth the evil, and hideth himself. Prov.22.

3. Depravity; corruption of heart, or disposition to commit wickedness; malignity.

The heart of the sons of men is full of evil. Eccles.9.

4. Malady; as the king's evil or scrophula.

E'VIL, adv. generally contracted to ill.

1. Not well; not with justice or propriety; unsuitable.

Evil it beseems thee.

2. Not virtuously; not innocently.

3. Not happily; unfortunately.

It went evil with his house.

4. Injuriously; not kindly.

The Egyptians evil entreated us, and afflicted us.

In composition, evil, denoting something bad or wrong, is often contracted to ill.

evilness

E'VILNESS, n. Badness; viciousness; malignity; as evilness of heart; the evilness of sin

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
We know that evil, disobedience and such are sins.............that isn't what we are discussing........we are speaking of "the unpardonable sin." The sin that will not be forgiven............even Jesus said "all manner of sin will be forgiven.....but NOT...."

So, while your comments do refer to "sin," they are not the "unforgivable sin."

:)

N

nathan3

"But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation." - Mark 3:29

I've been told it's when you don't accept Jesus Christ before death. But is that really what blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is? Are there scriptures that reference to this unforgivable act?

Something that I have always wondered... :/
Yes, tons of scripture on that subject. Not sure why no ones posted any of them here; pretty good idea why..
Study Rev 2:9 and 3:8 for starters. And Matthew 24. If you need all those scriptures let me know if interested. Then I'll take more time to get those together.

You can refuse Christ all you like till the day you die ( don't recommend that ) but , the Bible says that's not it.

It's just a matter of reading those scriptures, and being familiar with the subjects it involves ; which wasn't touched upon here. I honestly don't think it will be. Maybe that's a good thing.

Last edited:
B

BradC

[/COLOR]

Please show me the specific Scripture that states that these two were "saved" from judgement and "delivered." They paid the price for their blaspheme of the Holy Spirit.............DEATH...........what Scripture says they STILL received eternal life?

I understand perfectly what Jesus is saying..........no need to wordplay to support an interpretation. His words are crystal clear...............Blaspheme of the Holy Spirit WILL NOT BE FORGIVEN...........neither in this world, neither in the next......
They lied to the Holy Spirit by keeping back part of the price through Satan being able to fill their heart with a lie. There is no reason to assume they were not believers who were part of the early church. They tempted the Lord and lost their life through the sin unto death. God took them because of their presumption that it would be okay to lie to God and keep some of the price of the land they sold. As a result, fear came upon the people. To say they were condemned to hell for their act of lying would be presumption on our part. Let's not be guilty of condemning those who have given place to the devil as Peter also did when rebuking the Lord about going to the cross. This couple in (Acts 5) took it a step further and followed through with the lying deception, tempting the Spirit and robbed God at the feet of the apostles. Not a good thing to do.

What do you believe Peter meant when he explained this in verses 3 & 4, 7-9?

But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land? 4 Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.

7 And it was about the space of three hours after, when his wife, not knowing what was done, came in. 8 And Peter answered unto her, Tell me whether ye sold the land for so much? And she said, Yea, for so much. 9 Then Peter said unto her, How is it that ye have agreed together to tempt the Spirit of the Lord? behold, the feet of them which have buried thy husband are at the door, and shall carry thee out.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
I understand what they were guilty of, and why they were sentenced to death...........the true crime was that they had broken their covenant with God.........the Holy Spirit........in that they held back part when they had sworn to give ALL.........

I understand that............and, yes, they WERE part of the congregation.........BUT there is no scripture I can find that says that EVEN though they were found guilty and put to death, that they were STILL saved from eternal damnation.........

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Yes, tons of scripture on that subject. Not sure why no ones posted any of them here; pretty good idea why..
Study Rev 2:9 and 3:8 for starters. And Matthew 24. If you need all those scriptures let me know if interested. Then I'll take more time to get those together.

You can refuse Christ all you like till the day you die ( don't recommend that ) but , the Bible says that's not it.

It's just a matter of reading those scriptures, and being familiar with the subjects it involves ; which wasn't touched upon here. I honestly don't think it will be. Maybe that's a good thing.
Revelation 2:7) He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.
8 .) And unto the angel of the church in Smyrna write; These things saith the first and the last, which was dead, and is alive;
9 .) I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan.
10 .) Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.
11 .) He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.

Revelation 3:5) He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.
6 .) He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.
7 .) And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write; These things saith he that is holy, he that is true, he that hath the key of David, he that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth;
8 .) I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name.
9 .) Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee.

Ok, so why wouldn't these Scriptures be posted here? They are from the Holy Bible, who could object?

N

nathan3

Ok, so why wouldn't these Scriptures be posted here? They are from the Holy Bible, who could object?
I've tried to talk about these scriptures, and the ones I wont bother posting here, in the past. It's just never worked out. It seems to do more harm then good ( good is my intention ) .But I might consider studying the verses in the chat room one at a time if anyone's up for that kind of thing. Past experience just says don't post here further.

The scriptures alone don't make much sense with the subject of the thread, without going into a lot more of Christ's teachings. Maybe in the chat room . I would say that anyone who wants to know, just study and ask God, that is the best way to go about it if this is giving anyone trouble. But absolutely never jump to a conclusion without first studying more of the Bible. And even then never assume .Just keep learning the truth.

Last edited:

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
I've tried to talk about these scriptures, and the ones I wont bother posting here, in the past. It's just never worked out. It seems to do more harm then good ( good is my intention ) .But I might consider studying the verses in the chat room one at a time if anyone's up for that kind of thing. Past experience just says don't post here further.

The scriptures alone don't make much sense with the subject of the thread, without going into a lot more of Christ's teachings. Maybe in the chat room . I would say that anyone who wants to know, just study and ask God, that is the best way to go about it if this is giving anyone trouble. But absolutely never jump to a conclusion without first studying more of the Bible. And even then never assume .Just keep learning the truth.
Ok, hope someone takes you up on your offer...........I don't have "chat" and don't go to the chat room..........God bless.

JoyfulFleur

Feb 2, 2014
So many replies and they are all really good insightful! :) It's interesting to see all the different perspectives on what blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is.

Matthew 12:30) He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad.
31 .) Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.
32 .) And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

Jesus was not speaking in parables here, nor was He being evasive..........His statement here is direct and clear! There IS an unpardonable sin! To say otherwise is to call Jesus a liar......but, now, that is just me I suppose.

People may argue as to what Blaspheme of the Holy Ghost is, but all one has to do is apply a bit of common sense to have an elementary understanding of this statement from Jesus.........

blasphemy:
dictionary.search.yahoo.com
n. noun

• A contemptuous or profane act, utterance, or writing concerning God or a sacred entity.
  • The act of claiming for oneself the attributes and rights of God.
  • An irreverent or impious act, attitude, or utterance in regard to something considered inviolable or sacrosanct.

If such as this is uttered against the Holy Ghost, IT WILL NOT BE FORGIVEN, NEITHER IN THIS WORLD, NEITHER IN THE WORLD TO COME................Why do I say this? BECAUSE JESUS DID!

Yes, it's hard to deny the words of God. I found this to be very enlightening on the matter. So, like others have mentioned, calling the Holy Spirit a demon would fall under the category of blasphemy as well? I tend to think so. It makes sense that Jesus could not forgive someone if they mocked the Holy Ghost by saying it's demonic.

At first it made sense that denying Jesus before death could be the possible blasphemy. But after entertaining the idea for awhile, I started questioning what the scripture actually meant. Thanks for the scripture references!

Revelation 2:7) He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.
8 .) And unto the angel of the church in Smyrna write; These things saith the first and the last, which was dead, and is alive;
9 .) I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan.
10 .) Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.
11 .) He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.

Revelation 3:5) He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.
6 .) He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.
7 .) And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write; These things saith he that is holy, he that is true, he that hath the key of David, he that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth;
8 .) I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name.
9 .) Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee.

Thanks! This was helpful

B

BradC

I understand what they were guilty of, and why they were sentenced to death...........the true crime was that they had broken their covenant with God.........the Holy Spirit........in that they held back part when they had sworn to give ALL.........

I understand that............and, yes, they WERE part of the congregation.........BUT there is no scripture I can find that says that EVEN though they were found guilty and put to death, that they were STILL saved from eternal damnation.........
You won't find anything because it was omitted that we might fear as did the others (Acts 5:5). However, we can't conclude that their immediate death was associated with eternal damnation. The lie they allowed Satan to fill their heart against the Holy Spirit was of a serious nature and was dealt with by God through the sin unto death.

Concerning blaspheming (malicious misrepresentation) of the Holy Spirit, those who do or have attributed the work of the Spirit as evil and/or unclean, the scriptures says that they are 'in danger of' (or liable to) eternal damnation (Mk 3:29). Did they blaspheme ignorantly through deception or intentionally to maliciously misrepresent the work of the Spirit? Can a man be so blinded by deception that he subvert the truth into a lie or falsehood, calling the goodness of God an evil thing? Can a man be so blinded by the judgment of the law that he never consider mercy and grace when making his own judgment concerning the work of another? In (Mk 9:38-40) the disciples were so structured within the framework of the law that when they saw another casting out demons, having nothing to do with their group, they forbid this man to do so and this was Jesus response to his own disciples, ' But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me. For he that is not against us is on our part.' The disciples thought it to be an evil thing for this man to do miracles and cast out devils in Jesus' name and they were exhorted immediately (right away) by the Lord, to stop hindering this man.

Along with this, can you explain the following passage as to what Jesus was addressing in *Mt 5:21-26?

21 Ye have heard that it was said of them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:
22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca (empty headed), shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool (moros), shall be in danger of hell fire.
23 Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;
24 Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.
25 Agree with thine adversary quickly, whiles thou art in the way with him; lest at any time the adversary deliver thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer, and thou be cast into prison.
26 Verily I say unto thee, Thou shalt by no means come out thence, till thou hast paid the uttermost farthing.