What is the Purpose of life????

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Aug 13, 2013
I agree we can have a purpose in life and share joy and happiness with others. Angelsnow I would like to help you with your gifts. Maybe together we can find away to share it with God and His people.

Do you want to give it a try?

Angelsnow

Nov 9, 2015
I completely agree with you ....you make a lot of sense!!! I needed to hear these very wise words. Thank You!!!
May God bless you...always and forever!!!!....:)

The same purpose as those who are married and have children. God created all people with the same purpose, just with a different path to get there. For some it's marriage, others it's not. Some with kids, some without. Some to travel and do missions, others to be a witness at their job.
If a person can only find purpose in their life by children, spouse, family, etc... then their life won't have purpose even if they get those things either. In fact Paul considered those things distractions from our true purpose here, that tethered us down more to worldly needs and focus and restricting our availability to God.

EarsToHear

Jan 14, 2016
If we are...created for God's pleasure..and his delight. My real question is WHY?? ..and HOW can we find God and keep him in the first position of our lives. (and not forget who helped get us...to where we needed to be...or the blessing in our life?)
Revelation 4:11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

This is what these voices of the four beasts and the twenty-four elders said. They recognized that all glory is of God, and belongs to Him. Our God is the God of the Universe, for it is God that created all things. When God created mankind, our sole purpose of existence at any age or time, is for His pleasure.

When we see people use God's name in cursing, think of how it must hurt him, but it also shows how much He must love His creation [man], for He gave his own Son to redeem man from his sins. God allowed a way for all men to come back to Him through the blood of His Son, shed on the cross, and man's humble repentance.

In ignorance, we sin, and in love, God forgives us through His son's name, who gave His all for us. He left His place in glory to be born of the Virgin Mary. He grew from a baby to manhood, and saw the same temptation you and I see. Then Jesus went to the cross gladly to fulfill Scripture, and complete His Fathers plan; and the plan of redemption was finished on the cross.

That great love is offered to anyone who can look up from where ever he or she is, and call out for our Savior's forgiveness. It's a gift friend. If that isn't enough, our Savior Jesus Christ will elevate you before the creator, and blot out all of the sins you have ever committed, and make them as if they were never committed, before the Father, and give you a real and lasting peace. then He sent His Holy Spirit to be with each of us, to comfort us during our times of trouble.

My friend, that is why Jesus Christ and the Heavenly Father deserve our love and praise; and that is why John saw in heaven this enormous praise given to Jesus Christ. If you don't understand this then you are spiritually out of touch and need to humble yourself and seek Him in prayer, and in His Word. All things were, and are created for God's pleasure, and that includes you and me.

If you fall outside that realm of trying to give God pleasure, it is you that will suffer for your neglect. God is very real, and when you praise God and worship Him, He will bless you.

Aug 13, 2013
Hi Angelsnow. I missed you! Come back soon.

From your brother in Christ.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Look around at all the good things in life. Sure there are a few bad things - this world was created perfect but it is not perfect any longer - but there are still many, many good thing.

- A dog or cat sitting on your lap while you scratch its ears;
- Pineapple, mango, pear, baked sweet potato, this list could fill five posts...
- CHOCOLATE!!! (!!!!!!)
- Flowers of all kinds, sizes, colors;
- Trees that are just perfect for climbing and sitting in for a while;

Apparently God is an artist because when He made the world He added a barge-load of embellishments. :cool:

I know some christians who have a hunker-down mentality. "All right, we're saved, now we just have to make it to the end of this life and we'll be good to go." I don't think God put us in this world just to see if we would be good enough to make it to Heaven. Like most artists, God went out of His way to put a lot of things in the world just so we could enjoy them. Life is not a terminal illness, it's a wonderful thing... if one chooses to make it that.

(Disclaimer: This post may or may not have been influenced by the chicken fajita potato I am eating while I type this post. Delicious! It might also have possibly been influenced by a childhood when I always went to sleep with a cat purring on my stomach. :D )

JosephsDreams

Dec 31, 2015
Relationship with God.
Serve God, further His kingdom.
But that is no different then if one is married with or without children.

What do you think AS?

S

sassylady

I agree. Read Ecclesiastes. My son has been very depressed about many issues this year and I kept telling him to read there, and he finally did. It made sense to him and hopefully to you.

melita916

Aug 12, 2011
To crush your enemies; to see them driven before you; to hear the lamentations of their women?

Oh, what's the PURPOSE...not what is BEST. My bad.
sorry to interrupt, but i couldn't help but giggle at the conan reference. lol

Aug 2, 2009
What should be the purpose of life......for the:

1. Unmarried
&
2. child free

(All opinions and comments are appreciated)
For the unmarried, they have the freedom to engage fully in their passions. To immerse themselves in whatever talent/s God bestowed upon them so they can concentrate on their calling and change the world (even if just by a little bit).

For those with children, they have been given a great purpose by God... to teach and raise their children to become good people who will know right from wrong and will believe in God and help make the world a better place.. These parents must divide their attention between their passions and their children, but both are part of their purpose.. (although the children will always come first)

U

Ultimatum77

I just came up with this randomly....btw...and I think it sums up the three stages of life if you think about it 1. we're getting schooled to reach our potential, 2. Once we have a career we think about settling down. 3. after having a family you want to rest/retire....let me know what you guys think....

The three R's

1.Reach your potential -> set goals and strive to achieve them the best you can with your limited time on Earth.

2.Reproduce -> find a wife/husband for respective person

3.Rest- Take it easy, slow down and enjoy life

W

wwjd_kilden

I think God created us for company. (Different company than the angels) as well as to praise Him.

I personally need to feel useful, like I'm making a difference. Doesn't have to be grand, just useful.

Angelsnow

Nov 9, 2015
You feel "Survival" is the purpose of our lives? Back before you were born...there was a man..who gave his life to save others in the icy frozen Potomac River. (A plane crashed), the footage of what he did...was shown all over the world. The helicopter kept lowering the life vest to him. HE? passed it to the others. He was a Citadel Graduate (North Carolina). He KNEW we was going to die. HE didn't carry on..and scream to be saved, he got busy...and cared about the others lives. He KNEW death was coming for him. He was trapped. And in his moment of true testing. He did the right thing. There are many heroic men..and women...who have died...to save others. (or at least put their lives at true risk) to save another. Fire Fighters and Cops and Military Soldiers are case in point. Do they WANT to die? no. ...but they care about the helpless and defenseless in our world. Without them? YOU and I both would be dead. ....perhaps....you could be right. I honestly don't know..the human mind..or heart anymore in 2016. I'd like to think....there is still a spark...in the lives of many people...that would risk it all...for the "SURVIVAL" of human life..of another in extreme danger if called to action. For all the evil in our modern day world, I still like to think...there is more decency....and LOVE for another that overrides...all hate. I sure hope so.

proverbs35

Nov 10, 2012
I think (and truly feel) without a purpose. We simply exist. Aimlessly wandering. Never finding true happiness. And life is too short to simply go through the motions of life without some purpose to inspire us. Maybe i'm wrong. I don't know. What do you think? Do you have an identifiable purpose that brings you happiness...or joy.??
The Bible commands that our greatest purpose/goal is to “ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself." Matt 22:37-39

Therefore, we do not simply exist. We were created for purpose, regardless of how we may FEEL. That's why it's so important to separate FEELINGS from the truth of scripture.

Most days, I don't FEEL like going to work because it's not my favorite thing. However, if I stayed home simply because I didn't FEEL like it, I would get fired and have no means of supporting myself and family and have no money to sow into the kingdom.

Our FEELINGS can and will betray us. Nowhere in the Bible does it tell us to be led, driven or inspired by our FEELINGS. As Christians, we are suppose to allow God's word and the Holy Spirit to led, drive and inspire us.

Who is the Holy Spirit?

proverbs35

Nov 10, 2012
What if our natural inclination is to be selfish? (taking the credit for ourselves) Using the gifts and talents God placed in us. Isn't the purpose of our lives...interwoven with true joy and happiness??? And how do we resolve this with service to God? and our own truthful selfish ambitions.??? How do we know...if what we are doing is truly for God...or our selves?? How does a person (or others) know the difference?
As fallen humans, our first inclination is selfishness. As a result, the Bible tells us not to be selfish. The Bible tells us to "do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others" (Phil 2:4).

Only what we do for God will last. When we do the things scripture commands, we please God with our obedience. When we fail to do what scripture commands (disobey), it's generally because of selfishness. We want to do things our way (be selfish) rather than God's way.

proverbs35

Nov 10, 2012
What should be the purpose of life......for the:

1. Unmarried
&
2. child free

(All opinions and comments are appreciated)
Regardless of marital status and whether or not a person has kids, human beings have a universal purpose:

‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself." Matt 22:37-39

There are some unmarried, childless role models in the Bible who fulfilled their God-given purpose. There are no spouses or children documented in the Bible for these folks:

> Jesus

Who is Jesus Christ?

> Paul

What should we learn from the life of Paul? Who was Paul?

> Miriam

Who was Miriam in the Bible?

> Elijah

What should we learn from the life of Elijah?

> Jeremiah

What should we learn from the life of Jeremiah?

> Ruth's sons died.

What should we learn from the life of Ruth?

> Nehemiah

What should we learn from the life of Nehemiah?

> John the Baptist

What should we learn from the life of John the Baptist?

> Mary Magdalene

Who was Mary Magdalene?

> Lydia

Who was Lydia in the Bible?

> Mary of Bethany

What should we learn from the life of Mary of Bethany?

> Anna

Who was Anna the prophetess in the Bible?