When Believers Really Do What God Wants Us Doing

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
D

Depleted

This isn't going to be standard fare for a BDF post, but I wanted to share it in BDF so everyone will remember why we all joined this site. This is about God's people coming together to serve God and serve each other.

As many of you know, John (my hubby) and I have been disabled since around the turn of the century. Before that, we could keep up with housecleaning and maintenance. We even started refitting/updating our bathroom. (The number one reason not to mention how ugly tiles are in front of husbands -- because husbands tend to think that is a call to action, and will remove the tiles and the walls, before you even understand why he's doing that. lol) And then disability hit. And then I learned how unable I am anymore. And then disability hit again, and he learned how unable he is anymore.

The best answer to that for either of us, was to pray God would keep our house together, (literally), and do what we could. We were going to save the money to put in a new front window, but once I couldn't work anymore, we lost 30% of our income. And then once his disabilities started kicking in, we lost 50% of what was left of our income. We were stripping a front window when we first moved in (in 1991) and learned the only thing keeping one of our windows in was the paint!

I've been praying ever since for God to keep that window in place, because we could not afford a replacement. (We had three front windows, side by side, so I thought we had to go for a bay window.) And God has been keeping that window in place all this time.

But we have been unable to keep up with basic cleaning for 17 years too, and our home looked like that. If a window a/c broke, it was all we could do to replace it. The broken unit couldn't be pulled out of the house, stuffed into our trunk, and then taken to the city's site. (Trash does not include heavy items in the city.) So, we left them on the floor. And, we cannot go fishing anymore, so we left our fishing equipment in the basement. And, the summer before John found out he was sick, he wasn't working, so when our downstairs a/c didn't work we moved into the study. (Third bedroom.) And to live there, we had to move a lot of books to use the shelves for every day things. (We created a kitchenette kind of thing.) And those books stayed where they landed. Imagine this for 17 years. The piles grow. So does the dust and dirt.

And our carpet came with the house, and it was old back then, so vacuuming became a problem, because threads in the carpet (fat threads too) would stick on the vacuums roller. So we stopped vacuuming.

I'm not shy, so I have been telling this on here for a while, although not in this graphic detail. It's embarrassing, but we could only do so much to fix the problems. And, our house is very small. (16 X 35ish and three floors, but mentally put a staircase and then furniture into any room 16 feet wide and you see how much it shrinks. And, although we have three bedrooms, a hallway and a bath upstairs realize one of those rooms is only 8 feet wide. So is the bathroom, and with the tub and sink, it's thinner than wide.)

But two heard -- God and PennEd. God has been hearing for years now, because that window stayed in, and the rot was under it, so no way should it have stayed in, except a miracle.

PennEd also heard from the Lord, because he gathered a couple of guys to help. (And that couple turned into "a lot.")

Yesterday, about 8 men and 2 women descended onto our house. (I'd tell you exactly how many men, but they were moving so fast, it was hard to keep track. lol) They were real people, all Christians, and going through an assorted variety of emotions. Mostly happy, but I could hear the frustration when the plan didn't meet the reality too. (Plan -- put up new lights in the kitchen and new ceiling tiles. Frustration -- have you ever tried putting in that last tile in a false ceiling? No where to grab it from another opening anymore, and it just does not want to go in. Plan -- put in a ceiling in the bathroom, except the covering will not stay up.)

And jokes were flying in two languages. (I understood "loco," so I knew Mark was calling himself Crazy Mark. He was, but a good kind of crazy, like me. lol)

Real people. Christians. Do you have any idea what it's like to have that many Christians come together for a purpose? You probably do. We haven't experienced it since we could go to church 17 years ago. Overwhelmingly good.

We made sure they'd know we were feeding them. John feared we wouldn't have enough. You know -- 8 turkey thighs for pulled-turkey, two dozen rolls, half a gallon of cole slaw, a quart of tomato salad, a loaf of chocolate banana bread, and 18 pieces of blackberry cobbler might not be enough. lol They barely ate, but I got two guys excited with dessert. I offered, and one said, "We're diabetic, so no sugar."

I answered, "No sugar."

He thought I was disappointed because they couldn't eat sugar, so I then added, "We're diabetics too, so no sugar. Splenda, and whole wheat flour."

Not often you get dessert out when you're diabetic, but they got it. :)

PennEd's friend Rich pulled something off that's amazing. He approached Lowe's to tell them his plan, and Lowe's gave him a gift certificated. (A pretty big one.) Somehow, he kept doing that, and when they arrived, they brought so much stuff, it didn't just take up our sidewalk. It took up two neighbor's sidewalk too. (Hey, Ed, you might want to tell how, so others could repeat Rich's process.)

We have four windows out front that open and close. (And that's what keeps bringing me to tears. I honestly forgot windows were supposed to be able to open and close.) Anderson Windows! (In America, Anderson is like saying "Cadillac" -- our luxury brand!)

Last week, I got really angry, because I washed a large pan after dinner, so the food wouldn't cake on over night. The next day, when I was putting the lid with that pot, I saw I hadn't cleaned it much at all. We had one light in the center of our kitchen, so washing dishes at night is hit or miss, because we really can't see because of the shadow from our body being at the sink. Now we have four lights, one in each corner, and there is no shadow at the sink!

When Ed first asked me what we needed, my response was to help us get junk out of the house. When he and Rich visited to go through the house, they kept asking what I wanted. I mentioned I wouldn't mind using the bathroom without stuff falling out of the ceiling onto me. We were going to add a false ceiling when we finished the bathroom, but never could. Rich was the one who talked about painting the front windows. I thought that was brilliant, because the paint fell off them years ago. Didn't know paint would turn into windows. He looked at the single florescent light in our kitchen, and all I suggested was covering up the gaps of messing ceiling tiles near it. I really didn't want to put them out, or to spend money we don't have. In my wildest dreams, (and yes, I do play the "if we ever won the lottery, how would we fix up this house" game), I never thought of more than one light in the kitchen.
:eek:

We have something in our basement and study we haven't had in over a decade -- space! AND, we have something I didn't think would ever be possible again, (and I did clear it out before John came home last year), a front porch to sit in! And not just sit in. We can see out the front windows again without worrying that one window is going to crash in or out. (I have no idea where they hauled all the junk, because the city's sites are closed on Sundays.)

Best thing we got? Fellowship for a whole day!

Remember when that was the purpose for Christians?

Apr 23, 2017
great to hear beautiful testimony and im sorry for what you have been through God give you strength!!!!!!!!!!!!! we could all learn from this and lets love our fellow man oK?????????? amen.

Chris1975

Apr 27, 2017
That was awesome PennEd. An example to all.

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
I'm so glad for you and your husband Lynn.

God bless you PennEd and all your friends.

Oh, and Lynn...got my hair cut.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Wow Lynn I knew you had problems like that but to that degree? And yet even with the very limited money you have you helped me and my family out when we were going to lose the house and had no money for food and to add to that you have been living in such conditions for so long.

I want help somehow i wish you were close to where I live in okc so I could at least help clean, sadly I don't have the expertise to help fix the house and I can save up some money to send you guys as we are not in a giant pit of money issues right now. I wish go fund me actually worked because then I would make one for you guys but I rarely ever see that get very far. Does anyone have any ideas how we can somehow save up some money to help? And yes Lynn I know you never asked and you likely would say it isn't necessary but like you said to me when I was very hesitant accepting money from you when we were losing the house get over it;b

Of course I will pray but I cannot see a person in need and not doing any6thing about it, anyone can pray but often times the answer to prayer is a person who doesn't just say a prayer and hope for the best they take action

D

Depleted

I'm so glad for you and your husband Lynn.

God bless you PennEd and all your friends.

Oh, and Lynn...got my hair cut.
Which one?

(Old family joke, and best done while the person is examining the person's head as if looking for the one hair shorter than the rest.)

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
Well, am thankful that shoe doesn't fit yet. lol

G

grif101

Wonderful story! Thank God for Christians that go out of their way and put feet on their prayers!
My family and I had a similar story when I was a teenager. Our house burned (arson), and the whole church jumped into action, buying us clothes, finding us a place to live, furnishing the house, and even built a new one. God's people aren't perfect, but they are the best!

God bless you Lynn! And God bless all those that helped you!

D

Depleted

Wow Lynn I knew you had problems like that but to that degree? And yet even with the very limited money you have you helped me and my family out when we were going to lose the house and had no money for food and to add to that you have been living in such conditions for so long.

I want help somehow i wish you were close to where I live in okc so I could at least help clean, sadly I don't have the expertise to help fix the house and I can save up some money to send you guys as we are not in a giant pit of money issues right now. I wish go fund me actually worked because then I would make one for you guys but I rarely ever see that get very far. Does anyone have any ideas how we can somehow save up some money to help? And yes Lynn I know you never asked and you likely would say it isn't necessary but like you said to me when I was very hesitant accepting money from you when we were losing the house get over it;b

Of course I will pray but I cannot see a person in need and not doing any6thing about it, anyone can pray but often times the answer to prayer is a person who doesn't just say a prayer and hope for the best they take action
We're in a weird position. We have enough money coming in that our bills are all paid, we can eat well (maybe a little too well, lol), can buy things like a refurbished laptop, (John wanted one last month finally. Tried talking him into one the entire time he was in the nursing home, but, noooo, now! And now, because he got bored waiting to see the doctors, so two days later we find out he doesn't have anymore doctor appointments coming up until Fall lol), or a table to eat on in our garden, and we tithe by helping people on here, including you. So, we're okay money wise.

But, last I heard, a front window installed was going to cost us $7000. We have enough to live on. We can save about $1000 a year, but every time we saved, something went wrong. (Roof leaked. Hot water heater died the day the roof was being installed. Needed to fix the front sidewalk, but our only steps to get out into the world -- front steps. We have back steps, but the alley gate is locked, and we don't have the key -- died first.)

Home ownership means one maintenance problem after another.

For the first time in well over a decade, we feel middle-class again.

Oh, oh oh! I forgot two other things they did for us. My house is clean! The whole thing, all at once. I was working on that, but I'm sure no one could tell. lol

And, we used to have a forsythia bush out from in a container. Dumb idea! They grow huge! It was a big container, but not nearly enough room for a forsythia bush. (Let one grow out and it will be about 6-8 feet tall and 15 feet wide.) Our poor forsythia was about three feet tall and two feet wide, because I had to keep cutting it way back so it wouldn't fall down. (My neighbors have picked it up more often than I have during storms.) We'd be lucky to get six flowers on it. (And the flowers are very small.) It always felt like I've been keeping a grizzly bear in a 4 X 4 X 4 cage. It survived, but it wasn't living.

I've always wanted it to live in real ground and to do what it's supposed to do -- flourish! About four houses up the street from us is a street with a strip of land big enough for two rows of trees, pocket gardens, and lawn. I asked the city if they would like it there, and they said, "Sure, you can place it there." It seems they couldn't place it for me, and I didn't have the strength to get it out of it's pot.

Now it lives there! I will be able to see it grow!

Added bonuses! No longer need to trim it twice a year, and don't have to pick it up after a rainstorm. lol

I do have to water it to get it started. Prayer really does work. I had everyone pray it wouldn't rain yesterday. (It was supposed to be stormy all day, which is not conducive for putting in windows.) Not only didn't it rain yesterday, it was sunny most of the day. The rain went north. lol

D

Depleted

Wonderful story! Thank God for Christians that go out of their way and put feet on their prayers!
My family and I had a similar story when I was a teenager. Our house burned (arson), and the whole church jumped into action, buying us clothes, finding us a place to live, furnishing the house, and even built a new one. God's people aren't perfect, but they are the best!

God bless you Lynn! And God bless all those that helped you!
Yayyy! I love hearing those kinds of stories. (Just never thought I'd be on the receiving end.)

G

GaryA

I had no idea, Lynn... :eek:

However, I am glad that these brothers and sisters could help y'all out. :D :cool:

But, last I heard, a front window installed was going to cost us $7000.
This is absurd. Even a large bay window shouldn't cost anywhere near that much to have put in...

D

Depleted

However, I am glad that these brothers and sisters could help y'all out. :D :cool:

This is absurd. Even a large bay window shouldn't cost anywhere near that much to have put in...
Including installation? I was pretty happy at that price, because before that I was guessing $15,000. lol (I could dream saving up for $7,000. I don't know if we'd still be alive by the time I saved up $15,000. lol)

G

GaryA

Including installation? I was pretty happy at that price, because before that I was guessing $15,000. lol (I could dream saving up for $7,000. I don't know if we'd still be alive by the time I saved up $15,000. lol)
Perhaps I am a bit behind-the-times on stuff like this --- all I can say is... :eek:

G

GaryA

That is to say...

I knew about the problem with the humidifier / dehumidifier.

I knew about the problem with the lamp.

I knew about John's illness. And, I have prayed for both of you.

I had no idea about the other problems and living conditions in your house.

I am glad that things are better now.

T

toinena

Wow. I am so happy for you both. I am blessed by living in a welfare state. I get sponsored an adapted car, two powered wheelchairs. No. Three. Two toilets with lift, a lift fitted in the house and personal assistants to help me keeping the house fresh. I am so "independent" that I can even host guests through airbnb and work more than full time and keeping up my music hobby. But what the welfare state never can give is true brothers and sisters in Christ. I pray that we all should stand up for one another like PennEd and the other believers did for you.

Thank you for sharing this story. It really touched my heart.

If there is anything I could do to help from this part of the world, please let me know. At least I can knit you some socks....

D

Depleted

Wow. I am so happy for you both. I am blessed by living in a welfare state. I get sponsored an adapted car, two powered wheelchairs. No. Three. Two toilets with lift, a lift fitted in the house and personal assistants to help me keeping the house fresh. I am so "independent" that I can even host guests through airbnb and work more than full time and keeping up my music hobby. But what the welfare state never can give is true brothers and sisters in Christ. I pray that we all should stand up for one another like PennEd and the other believers did for you.

Thank you for sharing this story. It really touched my heart.

If there is anything I could do to help from this part of the world, please let me know. At least I can knit you some socks....
I'm a crocheter. (And Ed got to see some of the outfits I've made for my stuffed animals. He also got to find out how nuts I am about my stuffies. lol)

We are officially back to looking like everyone else now. Somehow, having room to work and a clean house lets me know, we won't ever get that bad again... unless we live into our 100's and stop caring, of course. lol

S

sevenseas

wow! wow! and more wow!

it was beautiful to read this all the way through. I could almost see it going on

and surely, this really is 'faith' in action.

this has me smiling and happy and yes, we need this so much and God bless all who helped you :eek:

Feb 28, 2016
no more tissues, on to the paper towels - Lynn, thanks so much for sharing
so many of the details, yes, it was like I was there watching everything
through your gift of writing so intimately...

just imagine how Penn and Friends must feel about how Jesus let them
love you and John so much???

Mar 23, 2016
PennEd!!! What a blessing!!! For both you and Depleted (and hubby)!!!

I love to hear stories of answered prayer and how God's children come together to bless each other. Such a wonderful witness of the one body of Christ in action.

I had a similar situation occur shortly after my husband passed. My back yard and garage was an overwhelming task for me (heck I was barely functioning at the time. I was doing well to just take care of myself, much less the house/yard/garage).

A friend of ours gathered up a bunch of believers who came over and organized the garage. My husband had lots of tools and assorted "stuff" and I didn't know what went with what.

These guys came over on a weekend, went through all the tools and stuff. Organized everything so that garden stuff was with garden stuff, paint stuff with paint stuff, camping stuff with camping stuff, car stuff with car stuff, tools all organized, etc. etc. etc.

I still pray for these fellows who gave of their time, came over to help the widow at a time when she was unable to do anything but mourn in sorrow after having lost her loving husband / best friend in the whole wide world.

James 1:27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction ...

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
I cried reading this! What an amazing story. Ed certainly met a vital need.

As for me, anyone wanting to show up and "encourage" my husband to start painting our house interior, I would be eternally grateful! Just joking, I know you all live far from me, in the frozen, 90 F weather here in Canada!