When "discernment" and "in the Spirit" makes statements flawless.What to do?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

1still_waters

When "discernment" and "in the Spirit" makes statements flawless.What to do?

I notice tendencies in Christians, that can lead them down a very dangerous path filled with self-deception, and then that self-deception leads them to deceive others.

I'm going to address two areas I see this in.

1. Christians who believe they have "Spirit lead discernment" and are "in the Spirit" to such an extreme extent, they believe things they say under such "leadings" are flawless and beyond question. They view anyone who questions their "Spirit lead" statements or "discernments", as not being in the Spirit. After all, how could someone question them if they are "in the Spirit" too?

Their line of reasoning goes something like this.
"I am lead by the Spirit. The Spirit gives me discernment. Therefore, since I have discernment, and since I'm lead by the Spirit, and in the Spirit, everything I say under such leadings are flawless and beyond question. Questioning it is a sign someone isn't in the Spirit, and it shows they lack discernment that I have."

2. Christians who believe they are "in the Word" to such an extreme extent, that everything they teach and speak is beyond question.

These tendencies are very dangerous. They can lead to much self deception, and to the deception of others.

It's really hard to correct someone who claims their statements/teachings/assertions/whatever are "lead by the Spirit" and have the heft of "spiritual discernment" behind them. Again, God himself can't be corrected, so if someone truly thinks they're speaking the thoughts of God, well how can you counter that!?

It's not just hard to correct, it's so easy for them to deceive. Many sincere people want to have a tender heart toward the voice of God. So when someone comes along claiming to have all this "Spirit leading" and discernment, they may naively follow out of the sincerity and tenderness of their heart.

The same thing goes for those who claim to be so "in the Word". Their "in the Wordness" can create the same sense of self-deception and deception of others.

I don't know if there is a way to correct someone who falls into these tendencies. Some are so into it, they may simply continue on deceiving and being deceived.

On the other hand, such people may enjoy the "right" to be able to say whatever they want to say, with the heft of "I'm lead by the Spirit"/"I'm so in the word" supporting everything coming out of their mouths/pens/keyboards.

Last edited:
A

Abiding

Re: When "discernment" and "in the Spirit" makes statements flawless.What to do?

I had to flush my post...it was 4 pages long.

A

Abiding

Re: When "discernment" and "in the Spirit" makes statements flawless.What to do?

Heres a befuddlement i have:

When it comes to gifts(the showy ones) they will say He is the same yesterday, today, and forever.

Then the next day if your talking about the structure of the church they
say....im led by the spirit....God is changing things...men are wimps.

Concluding question: Does He change or not?

1still_waters

Heres a befuddlement i have:

When it comes to gifts(the showy ones) they will say He is the same yesterday, today, and forever.

Then the next day if your talking about the structure of the church they
say....im led by the spirit....God is changing things...men are wimps.

Concluding question: Does He change or not?
Depends on if scripture is the measure of if someone's "revelation" is the measure.

Tough call. :p

joshhuntnm

Aug 6, 2012

ONly the Bible is perfect. discernment etc. is not.

Jon4TheCross

Oct 19, 2012

I know God testifies to His words, and for those that can be trusted. If someone is really being led by God, and God wants another person to know it, then God will make sure that person knows it. I am spirit led every time I read my Bible, but I'm not saying that's the only way.
I love you all.

A

Abiding

Heb 5:12-14: 12 For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again the first principles of the oracles of God; and you have come to need milk and not solid food. 13 For everyone who partakes only of milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, for he is a babe. 14 But solid food belongs to those who are of full age, that is, those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

Above tells us where discernment comes from and its operated by our senses according to scripture.
The manifestation given at any moment the Holyspirit wills called discernment of spirits is the same
thing but a supernatural ability to do the same thing...a super ability to judge something said by the
same word of God.

Therefore when it comes down to it either way its judging by the word of God. No more than that.
Any so called discernment has to fit the word...just like the prophets were told as one prophecies
let two others judge. Not by some inner voice, or feeling. But by the word.

K

kenisyes

Life in the Spirit proves the Scripture correct, and the Scripture proves life is lived in the Spirit. But eventually fruit proves them both. And every case stands on two or three witnesses, never one.

Last edited by a moderator:

PopClick

Aug 12, 2011

"When there are many words, transgression is unavoidable, But he who restrains his lips is wise."

Everyone is wrong sometimes. Fallible mortals. :rolleyes: