When young children die what happens to them?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

starfield

Jun 13, 2009
Thank YOu! That is such a beautiful verse. I lost a baby in my second trimester on Christmas Day and knowing that she is with Jesus gives me peace in my mind and heart. Very beautiful verse thank you for sharing that with me.
My deepest sympathy goes out to you and yours! Rest assured that she is safe in the arms of the Lord. :)

Dec 19, 2009
I was wondering what happens to young children or even infants that die in the womb? Does the bible say anything about their fate? Many are too young to have made the decision to follow christ so I was curious about this.
We all pass on to the resurrection when we die.

jb

Feb 27, 2010
Consider this: Luke 18:15-16
15 And they brought unto him also infants, that he would touch them: but when his disciples saw it, they rebuked them.
16 But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Suffer little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God.
Just a variation on the above Scripture, Matt 19v14 states: But Jesus said, "Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven." Young infants/children/babies, when they die, go straight into the arms of Jesus in Heaven...

S

stevef

The Bible is clear. When we die, we are dead.
That is it. No immediate transport of some part of us anywhere.

When Christ returns the dead (at least some) are resurrected for judgement.
From what I see in the Bible there is no indication that children will be resurrected. I think it will be a matter of understanding - so I guess it will depend upon the individual.
And those that never heard of Jesus (like some beggar in 4th century India, or whatever) will likewise not be resurrected. Unless of course God decides they should be.

There is no firey pit of perpetual torture so this is how a loving God deals with those who have not heard of his Son.
Of course those who are resurrected and judged not to be in the Book of Life will face the 'second death' - which will eternal destruction.

In the end God will decide.
But the Bible does not say anyone goes to heaven or hell when they die - that is a fictional tradition, not a Biblical fact.
While on the cross Jesus told the repentant criminal who asked that he be remembered when Jesus came into his kingdom, "truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise". Luke 23 verse 43.

C

ChristReconcilesAll

I was wondering what happens to young children or even infants that die in the womb? Does the bible say anything about their fate? Many are too young to have made the decision to follow christ so I was curious about this.
I was raised as a Catholic, but I left the church when I was young. It always used to bother me that infants who die didn't get to go to heaven according to their doctrine. They told me infants went to Limbo. I hear the church has since decided to abandon that crazy idea. Now that I know scripture, I don't worry about it anymore. Believers will be roused for eonian life when Christ returns. Those who never heard the evangel, those who can't comprehend it, and even those who reject it will eventually be vivified when death is abolished at the consummation of the eons. So all will not be saved for eonian life, but all will be saved from death.

"We rely on the living God, Who is the Saviour of all mankind, especially of believers." (1 Timothy 4:10)

"For even as, in Adam, all are dying, thus also, in Christ, shall all be vivified. Yet each in his own class: the Firstfruit, Christ; thereupon those who are Christ's in His presence; thereafter the consummation" (1 Corinthians 15:22-24)

A Chart of the Judgments

Last edited:

WomanLovesTX

Jan 1, 2010
While on the cross Jesus told the repentant criminal who asked that he be remembered when Jesus came into his kingdom, "truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise". Luke 23 verse 43.
It is more clear when it reads "Truly, I say to you this day (today), you will be with me in Paradise (at the 1st resurrection when I return)."

We all sleep and are unconscious of life when we die. This includes everyone, no matter what age at death. But Praise God, Jesus is coming back and those in Christ will be resurrected at the 1st resurrection. The little children and even the aborted infants are included in the first resurrection.

Last edited:
May 12, 2013
What about these babies?

The people of Samaria must bear their guilt, because they have rebelled against their God. They will fall by the sword; their little ones will be dashed to the ground, their pregnant women ripped open.(Hosea 13:16)

At that time Menahem, starting out from Tirzah, attacked Tiphsah and everyone in the city and its vicinity, because they refused to open their gates. He sacked Tiphsah and ripped open all the pregnant women. (2 Kings 15:16)

Now go and attack Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and do not spare them. But kill both man and woman, infant and nursing child, ox and sheep, camel and donkey. (1 Samuel 15:3)

Happy is he who repays you for what you have done to us. He who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks. (Psalms 137:8-9)

D

danschance

Thank you. I know there are some, I think catholics, believe that babies that die from abortion or children that die without being baptized first die. That thought has always bothered me. I was wondering if there are scriptures someone can share with me.
Here is one scripture that applies to children:

Moreover, your little ones who you said would become a prey, and your sons, who this day have no knowledge of good or evil, shall enter there, and I will give it to them and they shall possess it. (Deuteronomy 1:39)
This is refered to as the age of accountability. Meaning that babies and very young children do not have understand good or evil or have the ability to understand the gospel or any biblical concept, so they can not make choices to which they can be held accountable. This means they are considered innocent. Below is a verse that refers to small children as being "innocent"

Because they have forsaken Me and have made this an alien place and have burned sacrifices in it to other gods, that neither they nor their forefathers nor the kings of Judah had ever known, and because they have filled this place with the blood of the innocent and have built the high places of Baal to burn their sons in the fire as burnt offerings to Baal, a thing which I never commanded or spoke of, nor did it ever enter My mind; (Jeremiah 19:4-5)
I believe this means that very young children down to new borns and possibly even miscarried children will be in Heaven waiting for their parents.

jb

Feb 27, 2010
Young children when they die, retain their spirit and ascend into God's Presence in Paradise in Heaven as Matt 19v14 states: 'Suffer the little children to come onto me and forbid them not, for of such is the Kingdom of Heaven.'

H

hattiebod

I join BettieB in saying thank you for the loving words of God that you dear people have written here. My daughter went on ahead of us, at 3 months, cot death. It is a comfort that Sukey is 'waiting for me' what a lovely thought....it heals a broken heart to know that our children are not 'lost' but safe and simply 'gone on ahead' of thier family. God Bless you for your thoughtfulness & gentleness of your posts...true fruits displayed friends! <><

jb

Feb 27, 2010
...My daughter went on ahead of us, at 3 months, cot death...
As I read these words, God, The Holy Spirit gave me a mental picture (a vision) of your dearly beloved daughter standing before the Throne of God in Heaven, with her hands raised high worshipping Him...

Yahweh Shalom...