Who here can speak in tongues?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
The day of Pentecost was the day the Holy Spirit was given to the church, and all believers receive him when they first believe and repent. The gift of tongues was a sign of the birth of the church, and the tongues were REAL languages which Peter preached to in Acts 2.

As for languages, I speak French fluently, and I understand some Spanish, German and Ukrainian. I also read Koine Greek and Ancient Hebrew. Is that the kind of tongues you are speaking about?

Actually, truth be told, I thought I spoke in tongues when I was in Pentecostal churches back in the 80's and early 90's. I began to realize that I was not speaking in a language at all, but gibberish. So I left, and I have grown tremendously in faith and in the knowledge of God since that point.

My personal opinion is we are not to focus on the gifts, but the Giver!

K

kenisyes

Need clarification if possible.

I never knew about this speaking in tongues that is in the bible. Two years ago I rec'd the filling of the Holy Spirit with healing. Because I was blown away by all of this I did research to figure out what happened to me....as it was awesome and confusing for me.

I researched the internet and came across a site where a man showed what it meant to have the gift of speaking in tongues. I practically fell over. I didn't understand what he was saying but I don't understand what I am saying either. It sounds like gibberish. I did learn that we are not to do it unless in church or something. I just don't do it.

The question is that as I watched the video I remembered doing/talking like that to myself as an 8 year old. I remember just thinking I was making up a language. Looking back it all seems odd to me. Since I have heard that no one can speak in tongues if there not saved or filled. At 8 years old I didn't know God or Jesus.

I was also told that if someone is not saved or filled or both, they can't even get the gibberish off their tongues. So I tested some family members that aren't saved without telling them what I was doing and they couldn't do what I always thought was gibberish.

I know this post sounds like stupid gibberish and maybe I am just over thinking this, but I was just wondering what if anything anyone thought.
i've known several such cases. This probably was tongues, and is now. It is a language between you and God, bypassing the language "learning centers" of the brain. There is solid scientific evidence of this, that is not too well publicized. Be careful of Internet sites; many are partially or completely phoney, done for the opinions of men. That is why I posted m wife's music group in the mp3 files last week. Just enjoy talking to God.

Salvation is sometimes gradual, with newly developed brain areas needing to catch up after they have switched on as you get older. That's why you can be saved at age 8, and not feel saved at age 20, for example, and get a new experience of salvation.

Tongues is not just between the individual and God. Already in both our lives we have seen changes in the Church, accompanied by the invention of new English words to explain them. Since God does not change, it's pretty clear that heavenly languages must have had words to talk about those things, before there were human language words. Most of the changes I have witnessed have come from tongue-speaking congregations.

All of these considerations make statements about the difference between the church as God sees it from His eternal perspective, and the church as it gradully unfolds from our human, time-based perspective. We do not study this concpet much, which is part of the reason for our lack of understanding of tongues, and also for our slowness at getting the world turned to Jesus.

yac11

Mar 24, 2013
i've known several such cases. This probably was tongues, and is now. It is a language between you and God, bypassing the language "learning centers" of the brain. There is solid scientific evidence of this, that is not too well publicized. Be careful of Internet sites; many are partially or completely phoney, done for the opinions of men. That is why I posted m wife's music group in the mp3 files last week. Just enjoy talking to God.

Salvation is sometimes gradual, with newly developed brain areas needing to catch up after they have switched on as you get older. That's why you can be saved at age 8, and not feel saved at age 20, for example, and get a new experience of salvation.

Tongues is not just between the individual and God. Already in both our lives we have seen changes in the Church, accompanied by the invention of new English words to explain them. Since God does not change, it's pretty clear that heavenly languages must have had words to talk about those things, before there were human language words. Most of the changes I have witnessed have come from tongue-speaking congregations.

All of these considerations make statements about the difference between the church as God sees it from His eternal perspective, and the church as it gradully unfolds from our human, time-based perspective. We do not study this concpet much, which is part of the reason for our lack of understanding of tongues, and also for our slowness at getting the world turned to Jesus.
Thank you for taking the time to answer, I so appreciate the input. Could you explain more about the paragraph regarding salvation being a gradual process please. As I thought salvation only came when you understood fully about Jesus and then repented your sins. Thanks kenisyes.

K

kenisyes

Both are correct. The problem is not with God's being willing to give salvation, but with our being able to receive it. We are not complete individuals at age 8. Some scientific research says our brains are not done until our late forties.

You can give God your whole self at age 8, and then more of yourself opens up as you get older. Now, if you are in a good church, or have proactive parents who follow Jesus, they let you know that new areas are opened up, and you give each area to God gradually as it opens. But more commonly than not, the young people are not blest with either the parents or the church. The new area is not given to God, and sin creeps in through it. The new area IS saved (Jesus earned it, God's promise is kept), but the person does not know sin is gaining on him in the new area not given over, until there is a crisis of some kind, sometimes pretty dramatic. Sometimes people lose hope or backslide at the crisis, and so it feels like they were not saved in the first place. Repeating the prayer for salvation is the smart thing to do, as it gives the (now) complete person to Jesus. If the first experience was early enough, it is sometimes forgotten, and the second time is thought by the person to be the day of salvation.

To God, it does not matter, as He just wants your heart anyway, and the rest is details. But it explains what we see in the world as it unfolds.

yac11

Mar 24, 2013
Well thank you for all that information. I think I am understanding what could of happened to me much better. Again thanks. :)

Messenger_T

Apr 4, 2011
I am simply asking who can speak in tongues.

T

Tintin

No, I don't speak in tongues but I'm still a Christian.

zone

Jun 13, 2010
Doyou have enough faith to open your mouth and give voice?
[video=youtube;uzgA5hpT6CQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzgA5hpT6CQ[/video]

Speaking in Tongues with Interpretation

2 minutes of chaotic music and ecstatic disorder.

2:29 somebody speaks in tongues.

silence

a man interprets, First Person verbatim "I am with thee...I sent my son...etc" < god the father supposedly speaking

is this how it's done maggie?
you just open your mouth and God utters through you?

and it's a LIE FROM THE PIT OF HELL to say God hasn't "given" this to someone?

Messenger_T

Apr 4, 2011
That message is for BELIVERS? I thought ALL belivers already knew that.

And since the miracle is for UNBELIVERS? What is the purpose of the miracle there?

Messenger_T

Apr 4, 2011
I cannot even spell believers...LOL

That is what I get for using an Iphone for forums...

notuptome

May 17, 2013
While there may be many here that are bi-lingual I suspect that this thread is searching for more mystical languages. This where they part from the bible. There can be no doubt as to the sincerity of those claiming this spiritual gift however their biblical inaccuracy is equally without doubt.
I have a couple questions.
Why didn't Jesus speak in tongues?
If tongues were a sign and signs are for the Jews why are most of todays speakers Gentile?
Do we not know that the prophecy of Joel was given to Israel and not to the church?
Won't we be surprised to find out the in the OT tongues from God were a sign of impending judgment?
That is more than enough for now.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

J

jinx

Is not bi-lingual, and CAN speak in tongues as the SPIRIT gives the utterance, any born again believer can.

I suggest reading the book of acts, in that book you will find how the early church operated, and the PROMISE GOD gave every believer. Then read the epistles, and see how the churches operated AFTER they received the gift of the HOLY GHOST.

have a nice day.
jinx

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Is not bi-lingual, and CAN speak in tongues as the SPIRIT gives the utterance, any born again believer can.

I suggest reading the book of acts, in that book you will find how the early church operated, and the PROMISE GOD gave every believer. Then read the epistles, and see how the churches operated AFTER they received the gift of the HOLY GHOST.

have a nice day.
jinx
Will you show me in the bible where someone who spoke in tongues ever spoke more than one time?

For the cause of Christ
Roger

J

jinx

Will you show me in the bible where someone who spoke in tongues ever spoke more than one time?

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Paul said....
1Co 14:18 I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:
I'm thinking the word "more" means more than once.

inge

Jun 23, 2012
And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost. Acts 10:45

Jinx is right, just read Acts.

J

jinx

And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost. Acts 10:45

Jinx is right, just read Acts.

can I print this out and frame it??? Maybe put it as my signature??? NOT every day someone says I'm right... L:DL

B

Braden_J

I have been in a lot of churches where people say they speak in tongues and my ex-wife prayed in tongue and I was told that if I spoke in tongues I would be closer to God. I have a friend who says a person needs to go down front of the church and pray to get filled with the Holy Ghost and slayen in the spirit so then would speak in tongues. We had a couple leave and go to an other church because the church we attended was getting more into tongues. I really do not see what it accomplishes anyway really. 1 [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pursue [/FONT] love, yet desire earnestly spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy.2 For one who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God; for no one understands, but in his spirit he speaks mysteries.3 But one who prophesies speaks to men for edification and exhortation and consolation.4 [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]One who speaks in a tongue edifies (could be a lot of that) himself; but one who prophesies edifies the church.[/FONT]5 Now I wish that you all spoke in tongues, but even more that you would prophesy; and greater is one who prophesies than one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets, so that the church may receive edifying.