Who invented Sunday Worship?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

KohenMatt

Jun 28, 2013
And by the way, I am offended by your use of the term "gentile", Christians are not gentiles. Christians are the wild olive branch that has been grafted into the olive tree as other branches were broken off.
I agree with you on the "Christian" vs. "Gentile" distinction.

There are many Christians in here who consider themselves as Gentiles. Truth be told, we as Christians no longer are considered Gentiles since we have entered into right relationship with God.

R

RachelBibleStudent

It was Nimrod, Noah's great grandson who started Sunday worship. We don't have much about him in the bible, but archeology and the new ability to read ancient writings have brought out information.

Nimrod was an ancient Hitler type, and decided people should worship the sun.
this is incorrect...there is no historical or archaeological evidence that nimrod established sun worship or any kind of worship on sunday...

in fact there is absolutely no mention of nimrod in -any- ancient mesopotamian documents...so archaeology and reading ancient writings have not 'brought out new information' about nimrod...

what -has- happened is that the fantasies of a nineteenth century minister have gained in popularity with gullible people who don't seriously study history...

Oct 31, 2011
this is incorrect...there is no historical or archaeological evidence that nimrod established sun worship or any kind of worship on sunday...

in fact there is absolutely no mention of nimrod in -any- ancient mesopotamian documents...so archaeology and reading ancient writings have not 'brought out new information' about nimrod...

what -has- happened is that the fantasies of a nineteenth century minister have gained in popularity with gullible people who don't seriously study history...
So your sources says what ?? about Nimrod? My source gave quite a little about him. I didn't make a list of the histories I read, I was only careful they came from colleges I could trust like Yale. So I can't prove it now, could you give us your source?

I think the very name of the day tells us a lot about the history of it, for it truly is the day of the sun.

I hope I am not gathering information to prove a point I decided on priory to study, but I have used my study to guide my conclusions about this day.

R

RachelBibleStudent

So your sources says what ?? about Nimrod? My source gave quite a little about him. I didn't make a list of the histories I read, I was only careful they came from colleges I could trust like Yale. So I can't prove it now, could you give us your source?
history says -nothing- about nimrod...he is only mentioned in scripture...anything your source said about nimrod was -made up-

to name specific ancient sources...nimrod is omitted from all sumerian king lists...all assyrian king lists...and all babylonian king lists...

of course to name all of the ancient mesopotamian documents that don't mention nimrod...namely -every single one of them-...would take forever...

it might be more productive for you to mention a single ancient mesopotamian source that -does- mention nimrod...

Nov 13, 2013
Brother,

Truly Spirit and Truth wodship does not need a day.

This is amazing .. :)

Keep well.

O

overcomer2

Who invented Sunday worship? The Lord would have you worship him on Sunday, also on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. He asked that you rest on the 7th day (Saturday). Rest from 7th day to the 1st day was changed by a law from Constantine and further by the Pope.

The Church of that day, then followed suit, and legislated on Sunday worship at the Council of Laodicea.
"The Council of Laodicea ... forbids Christians from judaizing and resting on the Sabbath day, preferring the Lord's day, and so far as possible resting as Christians."
Encyclopaedia Britannica, 1899 Edition, Vol. XXIII, page 654.
Here is the first Sunday Law decree of a Christian council. It was given about 16 years after Constantine's first Sunday Law of A.D. 321:
"Christians shall not Judaize and be idle on Saturday [in the original: "sabbato" shall not be idle on the Sabbath], but shall work on that day; but the Lord's day they shall especially honour, and as being Christians, shall, if possible, do no work on that day. If, however, they are found Judaizing, they shall be shut out ["anathema,"--excommunicated] from Christ."
Council of Laodicea, c. A.D. 337, Canon 29, quoted in C.J. Hefele, "A History of the Councils of the Church," Vol. 2, p. 316.

Josh321

Sep 3, 2013
I agree with you on the "Christian" vs. "Gentile" distinction.

There are many Christians in here who consider themselves as Gentiles. Truth be told, we as Christians no longer are considered Gentiles since we have entered into right relationship with God.
Not everyone who says they are a christian truly are a christian though, but you are right everyone who receives God is no longer gentile jew nor greek we are all one in christ, i was once a gentile and alienated from God but God had better plans for me

zone

Jun 13, 2010
Who invented Sunday worship? The Lord would have you worship him on Sunday, also on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. He asked that you rest on the 7th day (Saturday). Rest from 7th day to the 1st day was changed by a law from Constantine and further by the Pope.

The Church of that day, then followed suit, and legislated on Sunday worship at the Council of Laodicea.
"The Council of Laodicea ... forbids Christians from judaizing and resting on the Sabbath day, preferring the Lord's day, and so far as possible resting as Christians."
Encyclopaedia Britannica, 1899 Edition, Vol. XXIII, page 654.
Here is the first Sunday Law decree of a Christian council. It was given about 16 years after Constantine's first Sunday Law of A.D. 321:
"Christians shall not Judaize and be idle on Saturday [in the original: "sabbato" shall not be idle on the Sabbath], but shall work on that day; but the Lord's day they shall especially honour, and as being Christians, shall, if possible, do no work on that day. If, however, they are found Judaizing, they shall be shut out ["anathema,"--excommunicated] from Christ."
Council of Laodicea, c. A.D. 337, Canon 29, quoted in C.J. Hefele, "A History of the Councils of the Church," Vol. 2, p. 316.
blah blah

But why is it, you ask, that we gather on the Lord's Day to celebrate our solemnities? Because that was the way the Apostles also did.

- Tertullian, De Fuga in Persecutione, XIV: 11 - 200 AD

Those who were brought up in the ancient order of things have come to the possession of a new hope, no longer observing the Sabbath, but living in the observance of the Lord's day on which our life was sprung by him and his death.

- Ignatius, Epistle to the Magnesians - 101 AD

And on the day which is called Sunday there is an assembly in the same place of all who live in cities or in country districts; and the records of the apostles, or the writings of the prophets, are read as long as we have time.

Sunday is the day on which we all hold our common assembly, because it is the day on which God, when he changed the darkness and matter, made the world; and Jesus Christ our Savior on the same day rose from the dead.

- Justin Martyr, Apologies 1:67 - 140AD

We neither accord with the Jews in their peculiarities in regard to food nor in their sacred days.

- Justin Martyr, Apologies Sec. 21 - 140AD

E

eternally-gratefull

In the first day of the weak.

1. The NT church broke bread ( a part of church service) Acts 20
2. The NT Church took money for the collection (1 Cor 16)

The nt church also met often Not just on one day (Acts 2: 42- 46)

If anything, the modern church (Sabbath keeps or not) Get it wrong.

they met day by day
They met in homes, not in a cathedral or church building, although they did get together in the sanctuaries from time to time (mostly on the first day of the week)
The continued in prayer, fellowship, teaching, and breaking of bread (eating dinner together with the Lords supper)