Who is Gog?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

unobtrusive

Jul 23, 2017
Who (not where, or what nations) are Magog, Tubal, and Meshech in our time today?

Genesis 10:2 The sons of Japheth; Gomer, and Magog, and Madai, and *Javan, and Tubal, and Meshech, and Tiras.

Isaiah 66:15-19
15 For, behold, the Lord will come with fire, and with his chariots like a whirlwind, to render his anger with fury, and his rebuke with flames of fire.
16 For by fire and by his sword will the Lord plead with all flesh: and the slain of the Lord shall be many.
17 They that sanctify themselves, and purify themselves in the gardens behind one tree in the midst, eating swine's flesh, and the abomination, and the mouse, shall be consumed together, saith the Lord.
18 For I know their works and their thoughts: it shall come, that I will gather all nations and tongues; and they shall come, and see my glory.
19 And I will set a sign among them, and I will send those that escape of them unto the nations, to Tarshish, Pul, and Lud, that draw the bow, to Tubal, and *Javan, to the isles afar off, that have not heard my fame, neither have seen my glory; and they shall declare my glory among the Gentiles.

Psalm 120
In my distress I cried unto the Lord, and he heard me. Deliver my soul, O Lord, from lying lips, and from a deceitful tongue. What shall be given unto thee? or what shall be done unto thee, thou false tongue? Sharp arrows of the mighty, with coals of juniper. Woe is me, that I sojourn in Mesech, that I dwell in the tents of Kedar! My soul hath long dwelt with him that hateth peace. I am for peace: but when I speak, they are for war.

Ezekiel 27:13 *Javan, Tubal, and Meshech, they were thy merchants: they traded the persons of men and vessels of brass in thy market.

Ezekiel 32:26 There is Meshech, Tubal, and all her multitude: her graves are round about him: all of them uncircumcised, slain by the sword, though they caused their terror in the land of the living.

Ezekiel 38:2-3, Son of man, set thy face against Gog, the land of Magog, the chief prince of Meshech and Tubal, and prophesy against him, And say, Thus saith the Lord God; Behold, I am against thee, O Gog, the chief prince of Meshech and Tubal:

Ezekiel 39:1 and 6, Therefore, thou son of man, prophesy against Gog, and say, Thus saith the Lord God; Behold, I am against thee, O Gog, the chief prince of Meshech and Tubal: And I will send a fire on Magog, and among them that dwell carelessly in the isles: and they shall know that I am the Lord.

Take note that Gog is the chief prince of Meshech and Tubal.

Revelation 20:8 And shall go out to deceive the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth, Gog, and Magog, to gather them together to battle: the number of whom is as the sand of the sea.

As we know (for the most part) Ham’s descendant were Canaanites

Shem’s descendants are Edomites through Esau,
Moabites through Lot’s oldest daughter,
Amonites through Lot’s youngest daughter, and Israelites through Jacob.

But who are Japheth’s descendants, Magog, Tubal, and Meshech?

Magog, son of Japheth. According to the Jewish historian Josephus (37-c. 100), Magog was the ancestor of the Scythians, the collective name for the people north of the Black Sea. Later scholars, relying on the order of tribal names in Ezekiel 38, thought Magog was probably intended originally to be the ancestor of a people who lived between Cappadocia and Media.

The above was copied from this website; https://www.geni.com/people/Magog/6000000003481819455

Colossians 3:9-11
Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds; And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him: Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all.

The driving force, Magog, Meshech, and Tubal, are not the names of countries, but of ethnic groups—the descendants of Japheth through his son Magog (Genesis 10:2). After Noah’s flood, Japheth’s sons begin a northwesterly migration, eventually spreading out to occupy all of Europe, Russia, Ukraine, Poland, the Slavic states, Great Britain, and eventually the United States, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, etc.

The above was copied from this website;
https://www.breakingisraelnews.com/62672/blogs-prophecy-magog-israel/

Ezekiel 38:14-18 King James Version (KJV)

14 Therefore, son of man, prophesy and say unto Gog, Thus saith the Lord God; In that day when my people of Israel dwelleth safely, shalt thou not know it?
15 And thou shalt come from thy place out of the north parts, thou, and many people with thee, all of them riding upon horses, a great company, and a mighty army:
16 And thou shalt come up against my people of Israel, as a cloud to cover the land; it shall be in the latter days, and I will bring thee against my land, that the heathen may know me, when I shall be sanctified in thee, O Gog, before their eyes.
17 Thus saith the Lord God; Art thou he of whom I have spoken in old time by my servants the prophets of Israel, which prophesied in those days many years that I would bring thee against them?
18 And it shall come to pass at the same time when Gog shall come against the land of Israel, saith the Lord God, that my fury shall come up in my face.

Notice that, Meshech, and Tubal, are no mentioned in these verses, only “Gog.”

Ezekiel8

Oct 26, 2017
You are on the right path to wisdom now. Nations means races in the more archaic form of English, that should help you quite a bit in understanding Ezekiel's prophecies about the end of the days. I would also note, you should not overlook Javan and Gomer in the prophecies either.

trofimus

Aug 17, 2015
Or... it is not about our time at all and Ez was about something that was a long time ago, from our point of view.

Ezekiel8

Oct 26, 2017
Or... it is not about our time at all and Ez was about something that was a long time ago, from our point of view.
It's about the end of days.

It's very interesting too that in Ezekiel's account of the end of days Gomer, Javan, Magog, Meshech, and Tubal are mentioned, but not Madai and Tiras. Curiously in our present time Gomer, Javan, Magog, Meshech, and Tubal are the only subraces of Japheth to remain distinct and racially pure still. Madai was destroyed by race-mixing with Elam, thus creating the race of the Persians. Tiras was enslaved, destroyed, and race-mixed out of existence by the other whites, notably Javan. Fun little fact if you're a red headed white, you have a little bit of Tiras in you and this is where the redheaded whites come from. The redheaded Asiatics/Semites are much rarer, but they do exist and they come from the Chaldeans (race of Arphaxad).

unobtrusive

Jul 23, 2017
You are on the right path to wisdom now. Nations means races in the more archaic form of English, that should help you quite a bit in understanding Ezekiel's prophecies about the end of the days. I would also note, you should not overlook Javan and Gomer in the prophecies either.
Right. Good addition! I just thought it would be good to be as generic as possible for starters. Then others can contribute to what they have seen in scripture.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Gog is a beverage made from eggs and cream and is usually found in the stores right after Halloween for a limited time until the holidays are over. I sprinkle nut meg on top of mine. If I were still a drinking man I would splash a little rum in too.

prove-all

May 16, 2014
The descendants of Meshech and Tubal have been found together throughout history.
In Assyrian and Greek histories, Meshech appears as Musku, Muski or Mushki—
all names related to the Russian spelling of Moscow

“And the word of the Lord came unto me, saying, Son of man, set thy face against Gog,
the land of Magog, the chief prince of Meshech and Tubal, and prophesy against him”
(Ezekiel 38:1-2). These verses begin in the latter days (verses 8, 16) before the
Great Tribulation, the Day of the Lord and Christ’s Second Coming.

that “Gog” is Russia, and that “the land of Magog” includes China.
bible refers to this Asian confederacy as the “kings of the east” Revelation 16:12

Tubal

On the eastern side of the Ural Mountains lies the city of Tobolsk, named after the
Tobol River, derived from Tubal. Tobolsk was once the seat of Russian government
over Siberia and was basically considered Russia’s Asian capital.
-

Russian people is mentioned in Ezekiel 38:2 The King James Version uses the
adjective “chief.” But the correct rendering (used by the Moffatt, New King James
and others) uses the word not as an adjective, but as a proper noun: Rosh. Thus,
that verse should read, “the prince of Rosh, Meshech and Tubal.”

Rosh was the ancient name of Russia, once called Rus.

Who is this “prince” of Russia, Moscow and Tobolsk? use of all three names states
that this is an individual ruler of all the peoples of Russia, from the west to the east.
Ezekiel’s command to “prophesy against him” further indicates a specific individual.

this is the massive army in Revelation 9:13-21, Vladimir Putin could lead the
200 million-man army. He has already solidly allied Russia with China.

In Jeremiah 50 -this 200 million-man Asian force is actually called God’s army.

Daniel 11,
44But tidings out of the east and out of the north shall trouble him: therefore he shall
go forth with great fury to destroy, and utterly to make away many.

Oct 11, 2017
Gog is the Prince or king of the army of the nations who will invade Israel. He is the Assyrian of Isaiah and the beast that rises out of the sea in Revelation 13.