Who or what is the Holy Spirit?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 30, 2020
In the Council of Nicea in 325 AD which was convened by the Roman Emperor and sun worshipper Constantine in order to strengthen and unify the Roman empire. Christians experienced the worst persecution ever under Emperor Diocletian who retired and divided the Roman Empire into 4 parts with a general to rule in each part. The generals fought each other for control of the whole empire. The last two generals to survive got together and signed the Edict of Milan in 315 AD which made Christianity an accepted and legal religion in the Roman Empire. The decision was probably influenced by the fact that Constantine's mother, Helena, had converted to Christianity. By 325 AD Christianity grew exponentially. Anyways, 1800 bishops from all over the empire were invited by the emperor to attend the Council, but only around 300 attended due to long distance, age of the bishops, modes of transportation, etc. Many were not even bishops, but representatives. Originally, christian churches were scattered all over the Roman empire and held to their basic belief that Christ was the Son of God and died to erase our sins and make us acceptable to God the Father. With the acceptance of Christianity, churches were then able to delve into deeper concepts, such as the divinity of Jesus Christ. That was the main topic discussed in the council. Other topics were when to hold the Easter celebration which was too close to a Jewish holiday and whether or not to accept back into the fold bishops and christians who denied their faith during the Diocletian persecution. Arius who was a deacon from Alexandria who believed and preached that Christ, before he became Jesus, was a created being for which the council exiled him and insisted that Jesus was God. They came out with the Trinity, which states that Jesus is God, the Father is God, and the Holy Spirit is God. Since the Jews believed in only one God, they simply stated that even though the three had different minds, they made up the one God. In other words, 3=1 or the one God is a three-headed being. This is the only way to align the belief of the Jews in one God with their belief that Christ was God. They came up with the Nicean Creed which contained the Trinity and denounced the belief that Christ was a created being (Arianism). All that they had on the Holy Spirit was the statement, " and we believe in the Holy Spirit. Constantine then ordered all bishops to only preach what the council came up with. This was the first time that the Christian Church was backed by government and spawned the beginning of orthodox religion in the Roman Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Church. The apostles, the early Church, the church during the time of Constantine, and even christians in the present time are not sure who or what the Holy Spirit is. I would love to know your thoughts and then after a few posts, I will reveal mine. I'll just say that in order to understand the relationship between the Father and Son, you have to understand the Holy Spirit.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
The Holy Spirit is called the Paraclete in the original Greek (paraklétos, Strongs 3875),
which literally means “one called alongside to help.” The above bolded text is a link.

:)

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
That the Spirit descended from heaven in the likeness of a dove provides some insight into the character of the Holy Spirit.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
The apostles, the early Church, the church during the time of Constantine, and even Christians in the present time are not sure who or what the Holy Spirit is.
Setting aside whatever was said during the reign of Constantine, the rest of your list is COMPLETELY FAKE. The apostles, the early Church, and Christians at the present time were (and are) fully cognizant of the FACT that the Holy Spirit is actually God the Holy Spirit. He is the third person of the Holy Trinity. All you have to do is read and study your Bible.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
That the Spirit descended from heaven in the likeness of a dove provides some insight into the character of the Holy Spirit.
And that's not all. He came as a "rushing mighty wind" and also as "cloven tongues of fire".
1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. 2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. 3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. (Acts 2:1-4).

It is God the Holy Spirit who empowered the apostles and disciples to speak SUPERNATURALLY in foreign languages which they had never learned. This in itself is sufficient to establish who the Holy Spirit is.

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
And that's not all. He came as a "rushing mighty wind" and also as "cloven tongues of fire".
1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. 2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. 3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. (Acts 2:1-4).

It is God the Holy Spirit who empowered the apostles and disciples to speak SUPERNATURALLY in foreign languages which they had never learned. This in itself is sufficient to establish who the Holy Spirit is.
Also, that Jesus breathed on His disciples saying, "receive the Holy Spirit" supports the wind characteristic of the Spirit, rather than any 'third head' representation that is suggested in the OP.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
In the Council of Nicea in 325 AD which was convened by the Roman Emperor and sun worshipper Constantine in order to strengthen and unify the Roman empire. Christians experienced the worst persecution ever under Emperor Diocletian who retired and divided the Roman Empire into 4 parts with a general to rule in each part. The generals fought each other for control of the whole empire. The last two generals to survive got together and signed the Edict of Milan in 315 AD which made Christianity an accepted and legal religion in the Roman Empire. The decision was probably influenced by the fact that Constantine's mother, Helena, had converted to Christianity. By 325 AD Christianity grew exponentially. Anyways, 1800 bishops from all over the empire were invited by the emperor to attend the Council, but only around 300 attended due to long distance, age of the bishops, modes of transportation, etc. Many were not even bishops, but representatives. Originally, christian churches were scattered all over the Roman empire and held to their basic belief that Christ was the Son of God and died to erase our sins and make us acceptable to God the Father. With the acceptance of Christianity, churches were then able to delve into deeper concepts, such as the divinity of Jesus Christ. That was the main topic discussed in the council. Other topics were when to hold the Easter celebration which was too close to a Jewish holiday and whether or not to accept back into the fold bishops and christians who denied their faith during the Diocletian persecution. Arius who was a deacon from Alexandria who believed and preached that Christ, before he became Jesus, was a created being for which the council exiled him and insisted that Jesus was God. They came out with the Trinity, which states that Jesus is God, the Father is God, and the Holy Spirit is God. Since the Jews believed in only one God, they simply stated that even though the three had different minds, they made up the one God. In other words, 3=1 or the one God is a three-headed being. This is the only way to align the belief of the Jews in one God with their belief that Christ was God. They came up with the Nicean Creed which contained the Trinity and denounced the belief that Christ was a created being (Arianism). All that they had on the Holy Spirit was the statement, " and we believe in the Holy Spirit. Constantine then ordered all bishops to only preach what the council came up with. This was the first time that the Christian Church was backed by government and spawned the beginning of orthodox religion in the Roman Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Church. The apostles, the early Church, the church during the time of Constantine, and even christians in the present time are not sure who or what the Holy Spirit is. I would love to know your thoughts and then after a few posts, I will reveal mine. I'll just say that in order to understand the relationship between the Father and Son, you have to understand the Holy Spirit.
The holy spirit is the spirit of Jesus Christ the spirit of God

“But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel; And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: And your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, And your young men shall see visions, And your old men shall dream dreams: And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭2:16-18‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭8:9-10‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭4:6‬ ‭KJV‬‬

The holy spirit is christ in you the hope of glory

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
“But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel; And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: And your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, And your young men shall see visions, And your old men shall dream dreams: And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭2:16-18‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Acts 2:17 (Joel 2:28)

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
“But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if
any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. And if Christ be in you, the body is dead
because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.” Romans‬ ‭8:9-10‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Romans 8-9

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
John 16:5 Now, however, I am going to Him who sent Me; yet none of you asks Me,
‘Where are You going?’ 6 Instead, your hearts are filled with sorrow because I have
told you these things. 7 But I tell you the truth, it is for your benefit that I am going
away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you.

8 And when He comes, He will convict the world in regard to sin and righteousness and
judgment: 9 in regard to sin, because they do not believe in Me; 10 in regard to righteousness,
because I am going to the Father and you will no longer see Me; 11 and in regard to judgment,
because the prince of this world has been condemned.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
‘Where are You going?’ 6 Instead, your hearts are filled with sorrow because I have
told you these things. 7 But I tell you the truth, it is for your benefit that I am going
away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you.

8 And when He comes, He will convict the world in regard to sin and righteousness and
judgment: 9 in regard to sin, because they do not believe in Me; 10 in regard to righteousness,
because I am going to the Father and you will no longer see Me; 11 and in regard to judgment,
“even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.

He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.”
‭‭John‬ ‭14:17-18, 20-21, 23-24‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭1:35‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭23:46‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear.

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins,

and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭2:33, 38‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭4:6‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭8:9‬ ‭KJV‬‬

God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.”
‭‭John‬ ‭4:24‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.”
‭‭2 Corinthians‬ ‭3:17-18‬ ‭KJV‬‬

The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭8:16‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“to whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:”
‭‭Colossians‬ ‭1:27‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭3:16‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭6:19‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Dec 30, 2020

Thank you for your input.

GRACE_ambassador

Feb 22, 2021
Midwest
op: Who or what Is The Holy Spirit?

The Holy Spirit Is God:

(A) The Holy Spirit Is The God That "Ananias And Sapphira lied to!"
(Acts 5:3-4 KJB)

(B) The Holy Spirit Is The God That Raised Jesus Christ From The Dead!,
(Rom 8:9-11 cp 1Co 6:14; 2Co 4:14; 1Pe3:18 KJB)

(C) The Holy Spirit Is The Omnipresent God That Dwells In All "believers,"
Being The "Blessed Teacher!," For: Understanding!
(Rom 8:9-11 cp 1Co 3:16, 6:19, 2:13 KJB)

+
with: 160 Reasons The LORD Jesus Christ Is God

Confirmed By:

"For There Are Three That Bear Record In Heaven, The Father,​
The Word, And The Holy Ghost: and These Three Are One. "​
(1 John 5:7)​

and, we can now receive This Truth, That our:

"...hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all​
riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgement of​
The Mystery Of God, And Of The Father, And Of Christ"​
. . . . .↑ ↑ ↑​
The Holy Spirit.​
Amen.

Romans34

... let God be true ...
Oct 28, 2023
The trinity of man (and of God) is illustrated in the Two Natures of the Believer found here and is illustrated as follows:

When God created man, He created him in His image, a three-fold being. Our body, soul, and spirit correspond to the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. The Father corresponds to our soul (world consciousness), the real person that lives inside the body. The Son corresponds to our body, the outward manifestation of that person. The Spirit corresponds to our spirit (God consciousness), that part of us that will carry us into eternity (the part of us that the rest of creation on earth does not have). We are one person, just like He is. Colossians 2:9, "For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily." Hence, the Holy Spirit IS His Spirit. God is the Person of the Father manifest in flesh as the Son and His Spirit is the Power of God. And just as our soul and spirit are inseparable (except by the Holy Spirit), so is the Father and the Spirit.

Needevidence

Mar 15, 2023

I presume you take 'Advocate' as being the HS - please assist - why would Jesus have to go away for the HS, when it has been here since the beginning and during Jesus time?

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
I presume you take 'Advocate' as being the HS - please assist - why would Jesus have to go away for the HS, when it has been here since the beginning and during Jesus time?
I believe Jesus was speaking of His death as His going away, as His blood, like that of the lamb of the temple, cleanses the temple of our bodies made an acceptable dwelling for the Holy Spirit. While Jesus dwelt among the people, He told them all things the Father would have them know but the Holy Spirit teaches everyone even more individually, which is even more intimately, hence the benefit of His going.

Needevidence

Mar 15, 2023
I believe Jesus was speaking of His death as His going away, as His blood, like that of the lamb of the temple, cleanses the temple of our bodies made an acceptable dwelling for the Holy Spirit. While Jesus dwelt among the people, He told them all things the Father would have them know but the Holy Spirit teaches everyone even more individually, which is even more intimately, hence the benefit of His going.
Any passages or evidence? - still doesn’t explain the HS already being here and HS came to Jesus during baptism & stayed throughout - Matthew 4:1 the Holy Spirit led Jesus to the desert to be tempted

glen55

Jul 10, 2021
Earth elements does have tradition attend temples only holy when alive temples walk in can't bow to wheat only tares if temples idols never live just shadows can't enter live elements conscience more excellent way fades away prophecy knowledge old creations mock new way for flesh never was or is new to Spirit has no began or end just mortal woke with remembrance gets unleavened bewitched mind flooded with tares seen good and evil tales nightmares won't feed fairytells after tares fade away.

Mar 6, 2023
^^^
With humble respects, will you please explain what that means??
Thank You.

Blade

Nov 19, 2019
I truly have no clue what you were trying to do here. I know somethings about history yet I went and searched again as always and.. yeah you are way off on some of this. Still waiting for who or what is the holy spirit. All this and no scripture. You could have just used only the Torah and would have clearly understood. Its all there. Its all Christ had and He is the word. Its all the 12/120/3000 had and they knew.