Why are we attracted to certain people and not to others??

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jul 25, 2005
I love that quote from CS Lewis about how a best friend is someone who can sing the song of your heart long after you have forgotten the words. It is hard to know who does that, and it does take work. It takes fortitude and discernment.

If, though conversation, I determine there is a chance some pretty girl will be able to do this, I'm interested. Otherwise, I tend to come off asexual most of the time.

As for "pretty" I don't know how to define it. I find different women physically attractive for different reasons. Sometimes it is the eyes, the legs, the hair. I really don't know. There are many considered conventionally pretty that don't stand out to me.

I also highly value a person's choices in media. Proclivity towards certain genres of books, music and movies can tell you a lot about a person.

Jul 25, 2005
Oops...I forgot to answer the second half of the question...why are we not attracted to some others? Things I do not find attractive:

Whining
Whining
Whining
Did I mention whining?????

Negativity
Gossip
Self-righteousness
Rudeness
Pssst, did ya hear that Jullianna doesn't like gossip?

Jul 25, 2005
I know, makes you wonder what else she doesn't like.

Jul 25, 2005
Oh...hi Jullianna...I wasn't...oh nevermind.

B

BlueAngel

Well, if we're talking physical traits,
I like dark brown or blonde hair,
Dark blue eyes,
A strong body(body builders disgust me),
Broad shoulders,
Strong, tough hands that can be gentle when he's handling something that's fragile (like me, lol),
And a big, lovable heart :D

Dec 20, 2011
I think if I am in a large group of people and no one is really standing out a great laugh will make me stop and look and pay attention. You know a deep, good natured, genuinely tickled laugh..... those are nice! Lets you know they have a sense of humor, something I find incredibly attractive. On an opposite note they need to understand its not all jokes all the time and be able to sit down and have a deep spiritual or intellectual conversation. A balance is important.

The persons personality, and spiritual walk is absolutely paramount to me though, I have met attractive people and later learned that their habits and spiritual walk are less then desirable and upon meeting them again find them considerably less attractive then before.

I dont think we can discount that physicality does play an important role, it obviously cant be the most important thing, but if you see someone you find physically attractive you are going to be drawn in. Luckily we all have different tastes. My best friend and I have liked for the most part (thank goodness) men who do not appeal to the others taste at all
I prefer:
Slim/lanky but strong build
Either ginger or dark hair
Sparkly eyes
Tall 6'+
Strong yet delicate features

While she likes:
Very broad or stocky or muscled
Dark hair
Very masculine gruff features
10+ years older

Things that are very unattractive and are instant turn offs:
Overly competitive
Holier-then-Thou attitudes
Obnoxious/forced laughter *shudder*
Bad Teeth *shuddershudder*
and most importantly though I figure it goes without saying someone who doesn't walk with God

J

Jullianna

RushBreeze;683075[COLOR=magenta said:
]I think if I am in a large group of people and no one is really standing out a great laugh will make me stop and look and pay attention. You know a deep, good natured, genuinely tickled laugh.....[/color] those are nice! Lets you know they have a sense of humor, something I find incredibly attractive. On an opposite note they need to understand its not all jokes all the time and be able to sit down and have a deep spiritual or intellectual conversation. A balance is important.

The persons personality, and spiritual walk is absolutely paramount to me though, I have met attractive people and later learned that their habits and spiritual walk are less then desirable and upon meeting them again find them considerably less attractive then before.

I dont think we can discount that physicality does play an important role, it obviously cant be the most important thing, but if you see someone you find physically attractive you are going to be drawn in. Luckily we all have different tastes. My best friend and I have liked for the most part (thank goodness) men who do not appeal to the others taste at all
I prefer:
Slim/lanky but strong build
Either ginger or dark hair
Sparkly eyes
Tall 6'+
Strong yet delicate features

While she likes:
Very broad or stocky or muscled
Dark hair
Very masculine gruff features
10+ years older

Things that are very unattractive and are instant turn offs:
Overly competitive
Holier-then-Thou attitudes
Obnoxious/forced laughter *shudder*
Bad Teeth *shuddershudder*
and most importantly though I figure it goes without saying someone who doesn't walk with God
I really like that part :)