Why as a believer I do not celebrate Christmas or Easter With the Rest of the World

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Hizikyah

Aug 25, 2013
CULTS LOVE TO ARGUE ABOUT HOLIDAYS AND THE NAME OF GOD!! BUT DO THE KNOW GOD?? THE PHARISEES THOUGHT THEY DID BUT THEY KILLED JESUS!!
If you had actual understanding of the pharisees you would know that most of them did not care about the Creator one bit, nor did they care for His truth, nor did they care for His authority. I am going to post evidence of this directly from their literature, the book that is most important in their religion.

Talmud - Mas. Baba Metzia 59b

We learnt elsewhere: If he cut it into separate tiles, placing sand between each tile: R. Eliezer declared it clean, and the Sages declared it unclean; and this was the oven of ‘Aknai.1 Why [the oven of] ‘Aknai? — Said Rab Judah in Samuel's name: [It means] that they encompassed it with arguments2 as a snake, and proved it unclean. It has been taught: On that day R. Eliezer brought forward every imaginable argument ,3 but they did not accept them. Said he to them: ‘If the halachah agrees with me, let this carob-tree prove it!’ Thereupon the carob-tree was torn a hundred cubits out of its place — others affirm, four hundred cubits. ‘No proof can be brought from a carob-tree,’ they retorted. Again he said to them: ‘If the halachah agrees with me, let the stream of water prove it!’ Whereupon the stream of water flowed backwards — ‘No proof
can be brought from a stream of water,’ they rejoined. Again he urged: ‘If the halachah agrees with me, let the walls of the schoolhouse prove it,’ whereupon the walls inclined to fall. But R. Joshua rebuked them, saying: ‘When scholars are engaged in a halachic dispute, what have ye to interfere?’ Hence they did not fall, in honour of R. Joshua, nor did they resume the upright, in honour of R. Eliezer; and they are still standing thus inclined. Again he said to them: ‘If the halachah agrees with me, let it be proved from Heaven!’ Whereupon a Heavenly Voice cried out: ‘Why do ye dispute with R. Eliezer, seeing that in all matters the halachah agrees with him!’ But R. Joshua arose and exclaimed: ‘It is not in heaven.’4 What did he mean by this? — Said R. Jeremiah: That the Torah had already been given at Mount Sinai; we pay no attention to a Heavenly Voice, because Thou hast long since written in the Torah at Mount Sinai, After the majority must one incline.5R. Nathan met Elijah6 and asked him: What did the Holy One, Blessed be He, do in that hour? — He laughed [with joy], he replied, saying, ‘My sons have defeated Me, My sons have defeated Me.’ It was said: On that day all objects which R. Eliezer had declared clean were brought and burnt in fire.7 Then they took a vote and excommunicated him.

The pharisees and "rabbis" interpret Scripture by something called Midrashic interpretation, which ignores language and ignores context. They say Scripture is a divne code and only the rabbis have the knowledge to decipher that divine code. Here is an ACTUAL example of Midrashic interpretation used by the rabbis:

Deuteronomy 30:11-13, "For this Law which I command you this day is not hidden from you, nor is it beyond your reach. It is not up in heaven, so that you have to ask; Who will ascend up into heaven for us, and bring it to us, so that we may hear it and then do it? Nor is it beyond the sea, so that you have to ask; Who will cross the sea, and bring it to us, so that we may hear it and then do it?"

After Midrashic interpretation is applied, they come out with : "‘It is not in heaven.’4 What did he mean by this? — Said R. Jeremiah: That the Torah had already been given at Mount Sinai; we pay no attention to a Heavenly Voice" (Baba Metzia 59b)

Actually they were similar to some that celebrate theses pagan holidays, in the way that they made their own "holy days" and sanctified themselves.

Mattithyah 15:2-3, "Why do Your disciples transgress the traditions of the elders? For they do not wash their hands when they eat. But He answered, and said to them: And why do you transgress the Laws of Yahweh by your traditions?"

K

Karraster

Is this thread for " why we do not celebrate Christmas and Easter with the rest of the world" or a place to bash those it is directed to.

Posting views of a person I have never heard of is useless. By who's authority does he speak?

After the doings of the land of Egypt, wherein ye dwelt, shall ye not do: and after the doings of the land of Canaan, whither I bring you, shall ye not do: neither shall ye walk in their ordinances.

Take heed to thyself that thou be not snared by following them, after that they be destroyed from before thee; and that thou inquire not after their gods, saying, How did these nations serve their gods? even so will I do likewise.

God's Words are life. Believe in Jesus and follow His commandments.

And this is why I do not celebrate Christmass or Easter. I am not compelled to read everybodys idea of why it is fine and good to disobey God.

Dec 12, 2013
And 250+ posts about a topic where no one is judging.
If you don't want to celebrate holidays that is your choice, but to continue to post about how wrong others are is rather judgemental. You're no better than the next person, and your haughty attitude is not something that God likes.
There are many people on this site that oppose the celebration of certain holidays, and their attitude is sincere and humble. Why isn't yours?
If you re-read all posts you will see the majority of my posts are "responses" to rude comments, misstatements about things I have said, name calling etc. I'm sorry if you see my defense of truth and a right to say I didn't say that or imply that as haughty and a careful study of the bible will reveal many a different stance and or type of stance made on the truth from apologetic to very fiery. And again we see somebody that disagrees with me calls me a name and assumes/judges my stance without knowing motive and or the facts.

C

chubbena

A Brief History and
Examination of Christmas
-by Tony Warren

The question is frequently asked, "Should Christians Celebrate Christmas?" Well, that actually depends upon what we mean by the word Christmas. The word comes from the Latin word [cristes maesse] which means, "the Mass of Christ." However, this word is a misnomer as it relates to the traditional Protestant observance of the day. In Protestantism, Christmas means no more than, "a day set aside for the memorial and celebration of the birth of Christ."
If it's a misnomer why not changing it to a proper name? Why keep using the word which was blasphemous to begin with?
And I believe there is ample scriptural precedent for this remembrance, and this celebration is in keeping with the events that occurred at the time of Christ's birth.
For this remembrance or for this occurrence? Did the Bible mention once to remember that day? Why would some choose to remember a day that is not commanded by God and not celebrated by many Christians until 200 years ago but to speak against a day that is commanded by God?
Most Christians choose to remember this glorious moment yearly by a special day of celebration. It is a day of worship, prayer, commemorative decorations, placing stars and lights on a tree, and indulging in the spirit of giving. There is absolutely nothing "inherently" wrong with this, providing object and adoration is of the gift of Christ.
Are you a scholar or historian? If only one reads the history of Christianity - there are enough books by main stream Christian publishers - one would know what you said is untrue.
Should Christians celebrate Christmas on December 25th? The exact date of Christ's birth is unknown, but Theologians almost unanimously agree that it was probably not the day Christians observe (december 25th). This is because Zacharias (father of John the Baptist, husband of Elizabeth) was of the division of Abijah, and considering John's birth in relationship to Christ's, most learned Theologians place the Saviour's birth somewhere between September and October. The first records of anyone noting December 25 as the birth date of Jesus is in a Roman calendar dated 336 A.D. By this time Christianity was beginning to grow steadily, and by the end of the century it had become the official religion of the Roman Empire.
And that religion is called Roman Catholics. Just because certain protestants at that point in time celebrated does not make it legitimate. It is still human tradition with a strong pagan background. It is still not the birthday of Christ. Can a truth faith build on a tradition which is not accurate historically? Can right come from wrong?

Dec 12, 2013
If it's a misnomer why not changing it to a proper name? Why keep using the word which was blasphemous to begin with?
For this remembrance or for this occurrence? Did the Bible mention once to remember that day? Why would some choose to remember a day that is not commanded by God and not celebrated by many Christians until 200 years ago but to speak against a day that is commanded by God?
Are you a scholar or historian? If only one reads the history of Christianity - there are enough books by main stream Christian publishers - one would know what you said is untrue.
And that religion is called Roman Catholics. Just because certain protestants at that point in time celebrated does not make it legitimate. It is still human tradition with a strong pagan background. It is still not the birthday of Christ. Can a truth faith build on a tradition which is not accurate historically? Can right come from wrong?
Totally agree!

john832

May 31, 2013
And not only that, there are 364 other days, each dedicated to some saint in the Catholic Church. Might as well celebrate those also.

M

megaman125

In your blindness you fail to see my point...you haven't proven anything...as my whole stance is against the modern day practice and the blending of paganism and heretical religious practices. Your checkmate is at best laughable mi amigo and the last time I looked I made no crusade against December 25 as it is just another day on the Roman calendar. HAHA
You no longer have a point. You said it's ok to celebrate the birth of Jesus on ANY DAY, and that includes Dec. 25th. For you to turn around and claim it's wrong to celebrate the birth of Jesus on Dec. 25th is a self-contradiction.

I don't think you're too blind to see the flaws in your logic and your argument, you just continue to pursue your little crusade out of your pride and plan to tear down other Christians.

Jul 25, 2013
Most people don't see the commands of God and you apparently could be one of those: Who commanded the Apostles to proclaim the gospels? Matt 28:
18And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19"Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,20 TEACHING THEM TO OBSERVE all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."

Is the birth of Christ in the gospels? yes. Are we to observe it? Yes. Everything that was written in God's Word we are commanded to observe. If it isn't written, we aren't to observe it. How more simple can it be.

Nov 18, 2013
Most people don't see the commands of God and you apparently could be one of those: Who commanded the Apostles to proclaim the gospels? Matt 28:
18And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19"Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,20 TEACHING THEM TO OBSERVE all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."

Is the birth of Christ in the gospels? yes. Are we to observe it? Yes. Everything that was written in God's Word we are commanded to observe. If it isn't written, we aren't to observe it. How more simple can it be.
Specious logic that can lead to much idolatry and which is what the Roman Catholics do to perfection----. Christ said "observe what I have commanded" not "obey whatever is observed apart from what has been commanded."

Thus the Roman Catholics invent lots of "sacrements" which consist in observing things that are not strictly necessary, at least in so far as they relate to the Roman Catholic church, such as infant baptism, confession, etc but which they nonetheless insist on because that is what brings in the money to support their massive hierarchy.

Christmas's origins are 100% based in paganism, and virtually every practice associated with it, bar that of actually going to church or sending religious based cards and hymns and songs, is based in paganism.