Why does this keep happening when my faith finally grows?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
D

Danielle1234

I prayed to Jesus for more faith in Him because for some unknown reason it dwindled. Every time my faith finally grows its like my mind makes this huge stop sign and stops my faith and makes it small again. Why does this keep happening? One minute I will be believing in Jesus and everything He did then something happens and my faith dwindles. I can't explain this "stop sign" in my mind because I don't even know what it could be unless it was OCD or Scrupulosity. Why does this keep happening? (reading Bible verses make my faith grow but then that "stop sign" comes. :(

S

SaulTLemon

[h=3]The stop sign is a lack of trust I would imagine. Tried reading through the psalms, look at all the times David says how and why God is trust worthy.You may need to reason with yourself the attributes of God. He is loving , fair, good, trustworthy. I would add to your prayers something like this.[/h]
[h=3]Mark 9:24[/h]New International Version (NIV)

24 Immediately the boy’s father exclaimed, “I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!”

U

Ugly

Lets explain this in an easier concept. Patience. When you pray for patience, God doesn't zap you with patience, He gives you things to test your patience. Why? Because Real growth comes through struggle, effort, facing your obstacles. When you want more patience, God puts you in a position to have to exercise what patience you have. Why? Think of it as a muscle, if you don't exercise your muscle, it doesn't grow, right? What happens if you don't exercise your patience? It doesn't grow. So when you want more patience, you have to have your patience tested, then you practice being more patient, to grow it.
Same will happen with your faith. If you want more faith, God won't zap it into you, He will test your faith, so that when you pass that test, your faith will be stronger. If anything, your struggle with your faith is God answering your prayer.
But we also do have our flesh, which actively fights against our spiritual growth. We have an enemy in satan, who also actively fights against our spiritual growth. So you have two sources fighting against you, so it's only natural that you will have problems in your attempt to move forward in your spiritual life.
In reality, everything you just said is normal and makes sense and are good signs that you're making right choices.

Just remember, there is little growth when times are easy, but in times of trials and suffering is when we grow the most, and that growth sticks in us deeper and changes us more. Keep pushing persevering.

D

Danielle1234

Thank you for your nice answer. :) So in order for my faith to grow I must grow through these "faint faith obstacles"?

D

Danielle1234

I do trust Jesus and God but for some reason every time I try to believe I just can't and don't know why. :( Would OCD play a part in this?

just_monicat

Jan 1, 2014
i would encourage you to read through this. i've shared this article with several people about growing in faith, and think it's well worth reading. it's also far better than i could possibly explain growing in faith.

most importantly, don't give up. also, habitual sin can at times play a role in thwarting our spiritual growth. i'm not saying that's your case, but it certainly can be "stop sign" for some.

How Jesus Helped the Disciples Increase their Faith

Last edited:

Atwood

May 1, 2014
I prayed to Jesus for more faith in Him because for some unknown reason it dwindled. Every time my faith finally grows its like my mind makes this huge stop sign and stops my faith and makes it small again. Why does this keep happening? One minute I will be believing in Jesus and everything He did then something happens and my faith dwindles. I can't explain this "stop sign" in my mind because I don't even know what it could be unless it was OCD or Scrupulosity. Why does this keep happening? (reading Bible verses make my faith grow but then that "stop sign" comes. :(
Good evening Danielle,

I don't see any sign of OCD or scupulosity, though perhaps there is more to this. But your post reminds me of Pilgrim's Progress and the fire.

"Christian enters another room where a fire burns against a wall. A man pours water onto the fire, but the fire only burns higher and hotter. Christian is puzzled until he sees another man on the other side of the wall pouring oil to rouse the flames. The Interpreter tells Christian that the water-pourer is the devil, who tries to put out the fire of faith, while the oil-pourer is Christ, who nurtures it."

Have you ever had enough faith to call on the Lord Jesus (God Who became man) and ask Him to save you? For whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved. Have you ever prayed like:

"Risen Lord Jesus, please save me, forgive me of all my sins, make me a new person, give me your gift of eternal life. I do now trust you as my only and sufficient Savior, and I depend on your suffering on the cross to pay for all my sins."

U

Ugly

Thank you for your nice answer. :) So in order for my faith to grow I must grow through these "faint faith obstacles"?
Yes. They seem so difficult when you go through them, but when you look back, you will appreciate them for the growth you experience as a result. You just have to keep focused on what the reason is for your struggle, to grow as a Christian, from a respect and desire to obey and grow closer to God. The more you focus on that, and the less you focus on the struggle, the easier it will be.

Atwood

May 1, 2014
i would encourage you to read through this.
Monicat, I noticed your Hepburn quote:

" laughing is the best calorie burner."

I must remember that and check it out. Audrey Hepburn was certainly skinny enough.

I checked and found: "A hearty guffaw will burn more calories than a nervous titter,"

Last edited:
D

Danielle1234

Thank you that helped me a lot. :) When the link you sent me uses the name "God" is it referring to God the Father or Jesus or both as they are one?

just_monicat

Jan 1, 2014
Monicat, I noticed your Hepburn quote:

" laughing is the best calorie burner."

I must remember that and check it out. Audrey Hepburn was certainly skinny enough.

I checked and found: "A hearty guffaw will burn more calories than a nervous titter,"
while i find inspiration in many places, when it comes to plain old cool girly chicks, audrey hepburn was certainly one of them.

i think i would've liked her a lot. i also love what she says about beauty:

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Last edited:

Atwood

May 1, 2014
s OCD or Scrupulosity. :(
Consider the following, which I hope helps you.
The Lord gave us two great commandments
1) to love Him with all the heart, etc.
2) to love neighbor as self.

All the Lord ultimately cares about is that we fulfill those two commandments, the rest come under these and must be understood as aspects of the two biggies.

If we love our neighbor as self, we fulfill the whole law.
So when one feels a compulsion to do something, it is well to ask ourselves,
Does this have anything at all to do with loving the Lord or neighbor?
If not, why the big concern?

as to your stop sign,
Perhaps you can raise that when you feel a compulsion!
And then one can also raise the shield of faith, if one is saved.
You can picture this big shield in your mind which says faith on the inside, but Christ is on the outside of the shield, an impenetrable shield.
I have found this good to use vs unwholesome thoughts.

just_monicat

Jan 1, 2014
Thank you that helped me a lot. :) When the link you sent me uses the name "God" is it referring to God the Father or Jesus or both as they are one?
well, technically it's a reference to God the Father, but they are in, fact, three in one (the Father, Christ the Son, and the Holy Spirit).

i'm glad you like the article! keep trying, danielle. and keep reading your bible, because faith comes from hearing the Word. : )

C

CEF

Satan is trying to make you doubt God's salvation. God let's that happen so you can grow closer to Him. God has those problems/doubts come in our mind to strengthen our relationship. Just thing of that next time you go through one of those. That time will be when I would pray hard and heavy.