Why doesn't God let me do what I want?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
C

Chilaha

So, for over a year I have wanted to bodybuild and even after a year of asking my parents again and again they refuse to support my decision to do it. They won't let me bodybuild. I've been patient and did things I didn't even want to do (sports and jobs), still my parents refuse to let me bodybuild because it's not something you can write down for college. I understand their concern for college but at this point I'd rather go to community college than continue to do things I am not passionate about. Now I'm depressed because there is nothing that I want to do that I'm allowed to do. I'm insecure about my body, and bodybuilding, the one thing that could fix my insecurities and make me confident my parents won't let me do. I know someone will post and say that what your body looks like doesn't matter, but I can't help it. I want to improve my physique and be in good health. I'm not sure what to do now, I told a coach at school that I would go out for a sport that I hate and now I'm so angry that I have to maybe do a season of this. Even though I said I would play can't I back out if it makes me this mad to play?
Finally, the real reason I'm posting this is because I feel like either A) God exists but he doesn't care about me and my situation and feelings or B) He doesn't exist and can't and never will help me.
I don't know, I feel that His ways are right and without Him life is hopeless, but how could he do this to me!? I have tried and tried to do the right thing and live according to His Word and even then He still has me sitting here miserable. I don't know what to do?

J

justbelieve

So, for over a year I have wanted to bodybuild and even after a year of asking my parents again and again they refuse to support my decision to do it. They won't let me bodybuild. I've been patient and did things I didn't even want to do (sports and jobs), still my parents refuse to let me bodybuild because it's not something you can write down for college. I understand their concern for college but at this point I'd rather go to community college than continue to do things I am not passionate about. Now I'm depressed because there is nothing that I want to do that I'm allowed to do. I'm insecure about my body, and bodybuilding, the one thing that could fix my insecurities and make me confident my parents won't let me do. I know someone will post and say that what your body looks like doesn't matter, but I can't help it. I want to improve my physique and be in good health. I'm not sure what to do now, I told a coach at school that I would go out for a sport that I hate and now I'm so angry that I have to maybe do a season of this. Even though I said I would play can't I back out if it makes me this mad to play?
Finally, the real reason I'm posting this is because I feel like either A) God exists but he doesn't care about me and my situation and feelings or B) He doesn't exist and can't and never will help me.
I don't know, I feel that His ways are right and without Him life is hopeless, but how could he do this to me!? I have tried and tried to do the right thing and live according to His Word and even then He still has me sitting here miserable. I don't know what to do?
Is it really God who isn't letting you do what you want (bodybuild) or your parents? From what you said, it sounds like God has nothing to do with it, your parents are the ones saying "no"... but at least they've given you a good reason for it... college. It sounds like your parents want you to have the best opportunity to go to a good school. Try and look at it from their possible point of view... What's going to give our son a better chance to succeed in life: bodybuilding or college?
Also, you said that you are the one who told the coach that you would play that sport that you don't like... What does that have to do with God or your parents??
Now back to your desire to bodybuild. My advice to you, is to sit down and have a serious and respectful talk with your parents... tell them how much bodybuilding means to you and ask them if you guys can work out some sort of a deal (Example: If you will let me bodybuild a certain amount of time/ days each week, then I'll...)
Regardless of whatever happens, there are two things you must remember... First, God DOES exist, He DOES love you, and He DOES always do what is best for you! Second, "Honor your mother and father"... that's one of the ten commandments!
Hope everything works out :) Keep following God and putting Him first in your life and He will ALWAYS bless you in ways you can't even imagine!

U

Ugly

Since when are your parents God? Sounds like you have a totally screwed up concept of God. First, just because your parents make a free will conscience decision to not let you body build has nothing to do with God. That is their choice and to blame God because of the way another person thinks is just plain ridiculous. Would it make sense if your parents said they were angry at God because their son wants to body build? No, and it doesn't make sense when you do it to your parents.
Second, i'm sorry, please show me the scripture where God says He's here to do our bidding, give us what we want and make sure we're always happy. Time to turn off Joel Osteen and open your bible and realize God didn't create you to do what you wanted and be happy. I'm sure God is pleased when we're happy, but that is not His goal, nor should it be ours.
Really the only reason you're miserable is because you're so focused on what you want that if you can't have your way you're just going to sit around and pout and blame God that you're not happy. You need to learn that part of life is not always getting what you want. Sometimes you have to learn to adapt. You say you don't want to hear that you shouldn't be bothered by your body. Guess what.... you shouldn't be bothered by your body. I know that's easier said than done. And really, to a limited degree, its actually an ok way to feel. But you're taking it beyond reasonable limits.

C

Chilaha

Is it really God who isn't letting you do what you want (bodybuild) or your parents? From what you said, it sounds like God has nothing to do with it, your parents are the ones saying "no"... but at least they've given you a good reason for it... college. It sounds like your parents want you to have the best opportunity to go to a good school. Try and look at it from their possible point of view... What's going to give our son a better chance to succeed in life: bodybuilding or college?
Also, you said that you are the one who told the coach that you would play that sport that you don't like... What does that have to do with God or your parents??
Now back to your desire to bodybuild. My advice to you, is to sit down and have a serious and respectful talk with your parents... tell them how much bodybuilding means to you and ask them if you guys can work out some sort of a deal (Example: If you will let me bodybuild a certain amount of time/ days each week, then I'll...)
Regardless of whatever happens, there are two things you must remember... First, God DOES exist, He DOES love you, and He DOES always do what is best for you! Second, "Honor your mother and father"... that's one of the ten commandments!
Hope everything works out :) Keep following God and putting Him first in your life and He will ALWAYS bless you in ways you can't even imagine!
How does playing football "honor" my mother and father?

W

wwjd_kilden

or

c) He knows bodybuilding can be bad for you ;)
There is a difference between training to be fit and training to build more muscles than needed.

J

justbelieve

How does playing football "honor" my mother and father?
What I meant was... no matter what your parents decide (about letting you bodybuild), no matter what your parents let you do or don't do when it comes to anything... you need to Honor your father and mother because God told us to... that means that we have to respect and do our best to obey our parents EVEN if we don't agree with them or like their decision.
No son, it's not always easy... but that's why God rewards you when you do what He tells you even though it's hard... especially when it's hard!

J

Jordache

Or C)God's smarter than you and he has abetted planfor your life which involves the beginning, middle, and the end all at once.
Plus, what makes you think bodybuilding will erase your insecurities. It wont. You'll just find other things to be insecure about.

Lucy68

Jan 21, 2011
Life can be frustrating but please don't blame God for it :) .

If you really don't want to play the sport then don't do it.

I think it's great that you want to be healthy and most people want a good self-image. Does 'bodybuilding' mean the obsessive type of exercise? If so, I guess that's why your parents say 'no'? But a little body building would probably be healthy. Maybe you can sit down with your parents and talk about a workout schedule that they would agree with?

Having a job is a great learning experience and helps you to manage your own money.

I did urge my kids to go to college but there are different types of colleges. Trade schools are great for learning a skill. Or getting training as an apprentice. It is my firm belief that everyone needs to be able to learn a living.

Try not to get too discouraged with all these decisions. When stressed, praying and having quiet time REALLY do help :). God wants us to bring ALL of our problems to Him....even the ones we think of as little or unimportant.

G

German4296

I had the same problem, my parents didn't accept it because "it's dumb and pointless" but the way i see it is that your body is a temple and should look its best so if your not happy on how it is then change it, you could even use football to help your bodybuilding. As far as your insecurities I think that bodybuilding will definitely help as it help me with mine. Try talking with your parents about allowing you to do it too, say things on how it won't intervene with school and it will give you a better sense of well being, and even if they don't allow it you can just give 111% at football practice and in the weight room.