Why was Adam and Eve kicked out of the Garden ?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

oldhermit

Jul 28, 2012
Alabama
We know, because of how this tree is interpreted by the physical senses in the text, that man, left on his own, could not arrive at this conclusion. Adam could not see what the tree represented from mere empirical observation. He could only see the physical dynamics of the tree. For the rest, he must rely upon what God had told him about the tree. Man requires instruction from God to protect him from that which he has no point of reference to understand. As the Creator, God understood things about the nature of man and his relationship to his environment that man did not know and was not created to know. Man was not endowed with the capacity to distinguish between good knowledge and evil knowledge. This truth has not changed. The knowledge provided by this tree was not a necessary component for man to fulfill his role within his assigned environment.

The environment of the garden supplied every conceivable human need. He was even given access to the tree of life. The garden was a secure environment where man had no experience with fear, shame, and disgrace. These were yet unknown elements. It was an aesthetic environment where God controlled access to knowledge. There were certain things that man knew by design, but the prohibition of the tree says that there were those things which man should never want to know or seek to know.

In the garden, man enjoyed the presence of God and the full awareness of God. God knew that through disobedience man would be exiled from this controlled and protected environment and from his fellowship with God. By violating God’s prohibition, man challenged the sovereignty of God. Man does not have the authority to mandate a standard of moral conduct. The text of Genesis shows us that this level of knowledge belongs exclusively to God. Because man chose to behave sinfully, he is now confronted with a new reality. Adam is now aware of a particular type of knowledge that will forever change the way mankind represents the relationship he has with the natural world and with his God. It also laid a foundation by which humanity would forever be forced to choose between these two epistemologies. Should we represent reality based on revelation from God or should we rely on those things learned from pragmatic experiences? Which one will we depend upon to tell us the truth about what is relevant?

Now, man has access to the knowledge of good and evil. This presents two problems: First, man does not know the difference between good and evil and secondly, history shows us that when man is left to his own, he will more often than not choose the evil to his own destruction, even when revelation is present. In Genesis 6:5, we see that by the time Noah comes on the scene, “every imagination of the thoughts of the heart is only evil continually,” (RSV). The fact that revelation was available to that generation is evident in the character of Noah. God regarded Noah as “righteous in his generation.” Righteousness is the result of submitting one’s self to revealed constraints. This deterioration of a divinely established ethic shows a complete reversal of a revealed epistemology. This is what happens when the mind of man becomes isolated from the revelation of God. This isolation was willful, deliberate, and fatal. When man is left to himself without a desire for revealed knowledge, he is characteristically self-destructive. If man is to survive spiritually in a cursed environment, it will require a standard that will enable him to represent properly his assigned place within creation.

When Satan approached Eve in the garden, he confronts her about the tree of knowledge. Eve rehearsed the commandment that God had given to them about this tree saying, “from the fruit of the trees of the garden we may eat, but of the tree that is in the midst of the garden you may not eat from it or touch it lest you die.” This represents a revealed language structure about certain truths concerning this tree that she could not know any other way. Satan then introduced a new way of thinking about what is true. He portrays this revealed grammar as unreliable and not to be trusted. “You shall not surely die for God knows that in the day you eat from it your eyes will be opened and you will be like God knowing good and evil.” The idea obviously appealed to Eve but the force of the temptation was more than just a desire to be like God. This new way of representing truth offered a means by which control could be shifted from God to man.

She relies upon an unrevealed method for making decisions. Rather than consulting God and relying upon revelation which, by her own admission she understood, she relies instead upon her five senses operating in this natural world to formulate her epistemological base. She “rationalizes” why it would be acceptable to eat that which had been forbidden. This reveals a distorted ethic in the misappropriation of things that belong to God. She contemplated stealing that which belonged to God and then attempted to justify the rightness of it in her own mind.

The serpent's temptation was two-fold based upon the decision matrix of the woman. This would imply that Satan understood something of the psychology of the woman and he capitalizes on her naiveté. Experientially, Eve knows nothing of Satan, temptation, evil, craftiness, the pain of disobedience, or death. The serpent creates doubt in her mind about the motives, character, and purpose of God. He accused God of lying and planted the seed of evil ambition. “God knows that in the day you eat of it you will become like God.” The reality was that she was already like God. Satan creates suspicion in the mind of the woman by implying that God is deliberately withholding something from her that is both desirable and beneficial. It implies that, 1) man is just as good as God is, 2) God is unjust in this prohibition, and 3) man has the right to be God. This is a challenge of God’s sovereignty. At the heart of this, is the question of who has the right to be in control? Who has the right to decide what is best for man? A worldly epistemology says that man has the wisdom to decide what is best for him. A revealed epistemology says that God not only knows what is best, he is also able to supply it.

The serpent then makes an appeal to the empirical and aesthetic observation. Eve saw that the fruit was good for food and was pleasing to the eye. He also appeals to the subjective impulse; it was desirable to make one wise, which the text defines as knowing good from evil. Where then was the sin? The sin was allowing human logic and rationalization to overrule the revelation of God. This is a propensity of humanly derived standards of ethics. The decision was made by appealing to an uninspired epistemology rather than to the words of the Lord. Human logic and rationalization are not valid determinants for deciding what is right or wrong. God said, “Don’t touch it.” This alone determines what is right or wrong.

C

cuz

The wrong they did was eating of the tree of life even after being explicitly told not to. The serpent (satan) tricked them by telling them that God lied to them. It was fairly easy to convince them to eat of the tree, what with them being naive and not knowing much.
good point
i think it start within my self
i think the serpent had to convince her

C

cuz

thats a lot of reading thx
(These two trees stand as symbols of a world beyond man’s sensory existence. )
I think the two stand for a way of life
The tree of knowledge could only bring death
what we would call walking in the flesh
rom 7:23 but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me.
where walking in the spirit was brought by Jesus
rom 8:2 because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you[a] free from the law of sin and death.
giving the tree of life

one is the stony heart
one is a new heart

but we are getting deep here

I still think people have the same chose today

thx for the replys i want to get some other views
and hopefully help some one else at the same time
I still see the sin in gen 3 is not trusting in God
they had the word from the lord to trust in
but had not seen death yet
innocent but temped

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Satan the serpent AND are not people. And it don't say that it kept them out of the Garden. It was to keep Adam & Eve the tree of LIFE, GOD bless as HE sees fit.
It doesn't matter whether the serpent and cherubim are people or not. The fact remains, the serpent WAS in the garden with Adam and Eve, and the cherubim was placed there after God removed them from the garden..

Don't you read your bible? It says that the cherubim was placed there to keep EVERY ONE out so they wouldn't have access to the tree of life. And the cherubim is still there guarding the tree to this very day..

Mam6

Mar 20, 2018
Adam and Eve were ousted for disobeying God.

JohnRH

Mar 5, 2018
was it because they thought they became gods?
was it because they trusted in the serpent more than what God had told them ?
So he wouldn't put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever.

22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever: 23 Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken. 24 So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.
Gen 3:22-24 (KJV)

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
gen 3:4 “You will not certainly die,” the serpent said to the woman. 5 “For God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”

gen 3:7 Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made coverings for themselves.

gen 3:22 And the Lord God said, “The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever.”

Romans 7:18-23 paul is saying how he was sold to sin

rom 7:14 We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

to me rom 1 said what it is to be sold to sin

rom 1:28 Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done. 29 They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, 30 slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; 31 they have no understanding, no fidelity, no love, no mercy. 32 Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.

and in rom 7 what restored us back to the father
rom 8 continues in the same pattern

24 What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? 25 Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord

just wanted to show verses that they the became wise in the tree of knowledge

rom 8 continues in the same pattern

thx for the input
I still don't see where it says 'they will become wise'.
Rom 1 is actually referring to mankind becoming dumb, aka 'wise in their own eyes'.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
was it because they thought they became gods? was it because they trusted in the serpent more than what God had told them ?
Neither of those reasons applied. They simply forfeited their privilege of living in the Garden of Eden because of their disobedience. And therefore they were barred from the Tree of Life also. They were also placed under a curse, which affected all mankind and creation.

When one reflects on the Fall, it is simply amazing that the first pair of human beings -- who were so highly favored and highly privileged (and highly intelligent) -- were so stupid. They lacked for nothing, yet they had to partake of the forbidden fruit -- WHICH WAS EXPLICITLY FORBIDDEN.

C

cuz

I still don't see where it says 'they will become wise'.
Rom 1 is actually referring to mankind becoming dumb, aka 'wise in their own eyes'.
they received some thing from the tree of good and bad paul talked about it
i do agree what they recieved was bad for them
rom7:23 but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me.

also here in luke 16:8 And the lord commended the unjust steward, because he had done wisely: for the children of this world are in their generation wiser than the children of light.
see if you get the same as me
thx

C

cuz

Jesus seem to say sin starts in a person before you do the act
Matthew 5:28 ESV
But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
seems the act only shows the sin inside
Matthew 23:26
Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also.

Luke 11:39
And the Lord said unto him, Now do ye Pharisees make clean the outside of the cup and the platter; but your inward part is full of ravening and wickedness.
seems fake it till you make it dont work

so it seems to me some thing changed inside of them being temped or tested by the serpent

the act showed sin came to its fullness

C

cuz

The condition of adam and eve was not accepted
im only tring to show why
not just they did wrong
what was the wrong they did
if we live the same as adam and eve will we be accepted ?
I dont think so
they went in the wrong way
there hearts turned cold
and they rejected God

and it seems people think they just stumbled into that
thats hard for me to believe :)
they walked and talked with the Lord
but became there on god
gen 3:21 The Lord God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them. 22 And the Lord God said, “The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever.” 23 So the Lord God banished him from the Garden of Eden to work the ground from which he had been taken. 24 After he drove the man out, he placed on the east side[e] of the Garden of Eden cherubim and a flaming sword flashing back and forth to guard the way to the tree of life.

now man chose what was right and wrong for him self

gen 3:16 To the woman he said,

“I will make your pains in childbearing very severe;
with painful labor you will give birth to children.
Your desire will be for your husband,
and he will rule over you.

blessings all

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
i do agree with you
but what caused it ? was it eve that believed an animal over the word of God ?
Eve believed Satan and disbelieved God..

was it that adam followed eve even though he knew better ?
Eve would have been removed no matter what Adam did.. But Adam observed Eve that she did not die when she ate of the fruit and must have then thought that God had lied assuming that eve would drop dead emediatly.. So Adam ate of the fruit and so he too was cast out of The garden..

was it that there state was changed ?and now being the image of God
Adam was created in the image of God from the very start.. His image never changed as a result of taking the fruit..

yet there eye open to evil did they know evil or become evil ?
Once people have the knowledge of evil they use it.. If not emediatly in deed.. They will emediatly think evil thoughts.. And evil thoughts are sin..

what made them slaves to sin ?
Their inability to resist temptation to do evil.. Humans in their state where not designed to handle such knowledge without becoming faulty..

C

cuz

Eve believed Satan and disbelieved God..

Eve would have been removed no matter what Adam did.. But Adam observed Eve that she did not die when she ate of the fruit and must have then thought that God had lied assuming that eve would drop dead emediatly.. So Adam ate of the fruit and so he too was cast out of The garden..

Adam was created in the image of God from the very start.. His image never changed as a result of taking the fruit..

Once people have the knowledge of evil they use it.. If not emediatly in deed.. They will emediatly think evil thoughts.. And evil thoughts are sin..

Their inability to resist temptation to do evil.. Humans in their state where not designed to handle such knowledge without becoming faulty..
i think you made some realy good point
i dont disagree with any of them :)
thxs

C

cuz

ive enjoyed this topic thanks to everyone that posted