Why we should forgive others

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
A

Ariel82

Because God commands it and if we don't we allow Satan to build a spiritual stronghold in our hearts and minds.

Matthew 18:21-22 ESV

Then Peter came up and said to him, “Lord, how often will my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? As many as seven times?” Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you seven times, but seventy times seven.

Matthew 6:14-15 ESV

For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

James 5:16 ESV

Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.

Luke 6:27 ESV

“But I say to you who hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you,

Luke 6:37 ESV

“Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven;

Colossians 3:13 ESV

Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive.

Mark 11:25 ESV

And whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anyone, so that your Father also who is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.”

Ephesians 4:32 ESV

Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.

Matthew 6:15 ESV

But if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses

.Proverbs 10:12 ESV

Hatred stirs up strife, but love covers all offenses.

John 13:34 ESV

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one

Proverbs 17:9 ESV

Whoever covers an offense seeks love, but he who repeats a matter separates close friends

.Romans 12:17 ESV /

Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all.

A

Ariel82

(Ephesians 4:26-27)

26 Be angry, and yet do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger, 27 and do not give the devil an opportunity.

A

Ariel82

At night before going to bed, do you forgive all the people you are angry with?

Do you pray and give your anger to God?

It's not wrong to be anger. Sometimes people are wrong and totally mistreat you.

However God wants us to forgive and to trust Him to judge and seek vengeance for you if needed.

Let God be the judge. Let God take care of any punishment or vengeance.

Focus on love and forgiveness.

Jesus says turn the other cheek.

He forgave us even when we didn't deserve to be forgiven...we need to forgive others.

A

Ariel82

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-34yLLSS38M[/video]

Dan_473

Mar 11, 2014
Amen

ST. LUKE 6:28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you.

DaveTheRave

May 28, 2014
Yes I agree completely! Forgiveness really is one of the greatest messages of the Gospel.

"And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you." Ephesians 4:32

W

wwjd_kilden

Do I forgive?

I varies.
It's easy to forgive someone if they seem to genuinely regret what they did
it's almost impossible if they think they have a right to do what they do and keep doing it. (Especially when it's manipulative people in power who can make others seem like the bad guys)

I have forgiven the people who bullied me every day at school
... but that is probably because they are no longer around to hurt me

A

Ariel82

I don't think forgiveness means you let people beat you up or abuse you. Just that you pray and don't lash back at them.

Jesus didn't hang out with the crowd that wanted to cast him off a cliff when He refused to do miracles to amuse them. He walk away from them.

D

Depleted

Hubby and I have something in common. People seriously hurt us before we met. We had to forgive. We both find ourselves forgiving again and again, because we keep taking it back, if we think about it too long. (And the hurt is the type of thing we remember.) It's hard to forgive.

It's much harder to trust. In some cases it's best not to trust -- ever.

Feb 28, 2016
broken trusts are 'gut-wrenchers', one of those things that take out a piece of us...

herein are where the words, 'rise above, rise above, rise above will be the words that
will help us to soar above and beyond anything that this fallen world can try and use against us,
because our Father's Holy breath breathes life-ever-lasting and this is what we can truly/only Trust-In,
His Holy Love...

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
I've heard people say that if forgiveness is a requirement in our walk then it's works...yeesh, I know it's difficult to forgive at times but let's not be hypocrits either, we have been forgiven by God for so much more than anyone could ever do to us.

Dec 12, 2013
Because we have been forgiven......and to forgive really is divine.....!

A

Ariel82

I've heard people say that if forgiveness is a requirement in our walk then it's works...yeesh, I know it's difficult to forgive at times but let's not be hypocrits either, we have been forgiven by God for so much more than anyone could ever do to us.
There is nothing wrong with good works. God wants us to do good works He created us to do.

Only problem is if you think those works can be used to buy God's love or favor.....God loves us even if we don't make the lopsided clay pot to give Him.

P

pottersclay

There is nothing wrong with good works. God wants us to do good works He created us to do.

Only problem is if you think those works can be used to buy God's love or favor.....God loves us even if we don't make the lopsided clay pot to give Him.
Hey I'm not lopsided well....maybe a little....I forgive you anyways sis:D

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Because we have been forgiven......and to forgive really is divine.....!

AMEN

yes, just like it's written in your heart, it's written here:

Ephesians 4:32 ESV

Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.

especially among ourselves, as brothers and sisters, we should '
cover over offenses, seeking love' - trying always to 'turn away wrath with a soft answer'

this is how the world should recognize Christ in us, by our love.

[HR][/HR][HR][/HR]
some of y'all say really nice things about me sometimes that i always feel like i am totally not deserving of. and i don't know how to answer that, and i fret over whether i'm vain even to click "like" on those posts.

when i first came here, i was different than i am now, in the way i interacted with people ((i hope, anyway, and try to be)). a large part of that is because of an older member that was here at the time i joined, that i believe has gone on to his rest now -- who i always saw acting with a lot of patience, even when he was being yelled at, and with compassion, and kindness. always so gentle, never accusing and never seeming to lose his own peace. i love him, and it is not his human nature that i love - which showed itself from time to time, sure - but i love Christ living in him. i tried to imitate this ((fail)) and i ask God to work this in me ((win)).

i hope that same daystar arise in all of us, and that we all look for and magnify that same light in each other. we are all vessels now made of cloudy glass, being transformed molecule by molecule until the day our natural selves are redeemed into purest crystal. that light in each of us doesn't always transmit clearly, and we worsen our situations when we paint the outside of this jar with dirt. but the same phenomena that makes glass cloudy gives light color - and if we don't forgive each other what in the grand scope of life amounts to very small things, it is like shutting our eyes completely to beautiful art, turning our heads away from illumination.

sometimes the most deeply moving art appears confusing or offensive at first impression. if we turn our backs to it, we gain nothing, but if we will set aside those misgivings, and ponder, and stare, without prejudice, and patiently consider a thing, its history, its process, its intent - even with imperfections, inefficiency, crudeness, mistakes and damage, we might find something to cherish. maybe wisdom, understanding, truth. something to love, even if that thing is barely present in the work itself, if at all.
if we are unwilling to forgive, nothing. but if we will - possibly a priceless treasure, hidden.

Christ thought our sins worth looking over.
the Lord sold everything he had, and bought the whole field -- all for one pearl
can we do the same??

A

Ariel82

Now I want to be nosy and wonder who your talking about posthuman.

When I came Abiding spent a lot of time doing the things you described. It was a sad day for CC when his daughter came online and said he had past away.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Now I want to be nosy and wonder who your talking about posthuman.

When I came Abiding spent a lot of time doing the things you described. It was a sad day for CC when his daughter came online and said he had past away.
isn't it beautiful when you recognize Him living in others?
i was thinking of homewardbound

losing three of my cats in the last few years, who i love like daughters, the Spirit taught me that my grief can be overcome by being thankful for the time the Lord blessed me to have them in my life. which is a foretaste - i know we will all be together in Him eternally

notmyown

May 26, 2016
Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth.
For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God. (Col 3:2-3)

I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me.
And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. (Gal 2:20)

it's an odd life. :)
dead, yet alive. alive, but not i.

But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. (Gal 6:14)

He is everything.

P

pottersclay

I've pondered forgiveness for a while and the holy spirit gave me a little insight on the matter.

When we are at odds with one another the Lord comes to judge...both are guilty...stalemate if you will...untill one agrees to forgive . Then the holy spirit can direct his attention on the unforgiving heart.
Scripture tells us even as we present are selves before the Lord leave our offering at the alter and go and make peace with your brother. Then come back .
It seems that the strife that is caused by un forgiveness hinders your worship to the point of being a liar in you walk with God.
He that says he loves the Lord but hates his brother is a liar.
We are told to agree with our accuser quickly before we are thrown into prison.
Remembering that no guile was found in Christ...no hidden agenda....no malice...be sure that God will judge he will repay. But even then pray that no charge be brought against them.
Very important to God and very important for our growth in Christ.