Wildfires Destroy Gatlinburg, Tennessee

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
14,000 evacuated from Gatlinburg; fires still burning

Im about 4 hours from Gatlinburg but I've been trying to get in contact with many friends in that area. Some are safe. Some I haven't heard from. Just last April I was in Gatlinburg. Walked the tourist area, shopped in their shops and now it's gone. Literally GONE. Please pray for the people of Gatlinburg. This area of Tennessee is the most beautiful part of our state. I would even say that it is the most beautiful part of America.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
That's terrible... I've been through there once, but it was late at night...

Hopefully there is no loss of life... only property.. and scenery, of course... tragic....

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
That's terrible... I've been through there once, but it was late at night...

Hopefully there is no loss of life... only property.. and scenery, of course... tragic....
Last I heard there have been no fatalities. While Gatlinburg is still on fire other parts of the state are having tornados. Im
inder a tornado watch right now.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
Good grief... that's crazy stuff going on. Be safe.... I grew up in tornado alley... west Texas. Tornado watches were pretty normal during the spring.. almost daily.

We started paying attention when it went up to "warning"... we'd get up on the roof and look around.. stupid kids.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Last I heard there have been no fatalities. While Gatlinburg is still on fire other parts of the state are having tornados. Im
inder a tornado watch right now.
at least 3 people have died in separate instances. which is a mercy - because the fire there came quickly, driven by very strong winds, and many people were evacuating driving straight through fire on either side of the highways, with trees down over many roads. the downtown is still mostly intact, and from what i've been reading, there are all kinds of instances of one home being destroyed while the house next door was largely untouched.

also by His mercy, it is raining there today.

i know that place well, and not just the tourist traps, but the mountains and forest, and people. i've visited every single church there with a pipe organ (hah! yes, every one i could find) and wasted many days of my youth in the ins and outs of the area.

but all things on earth are going to be destroyed by fire, every element will be dissolved. it falls from His hands to us, for His purpose, and He is just. what's hard is knowing this, and while i mourn too, i am in conflict with those who shake their fist at the sky during these times. thank God for sparing who He spares, and for the hours of peace He allows us all

N

NewWine

I live in this area. It's stinky and smokey everywhere. Crews are in from all over the country helping us (in the southeast) fight. Volunteers are cooking, driving, collecting trash and doing whatever we can to help. This has truly been contributing effort on so many parts.
Items needed: Bottles of water, food (sandwich fixin's, individually sized bags of chips, salads and the likes)
Trash bags, large trucks or trailer to remove the rubbish, dumpsters, clothing, shoes, blankets, household items (don't forget toys for the kids).
Eye drops, lip balm, saline nasal sprays, body lotion, soaps, granola/power bars, Gloves, handy wipes (wetones, diaper wipes and so on),
If you wish to donate to help Gatlinburg directly here is a link: Community Foundation - Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, Sevierville Emergency Response Fund

For donation to the fires in SC/NC: email [email protected]
DOnations are also being accepted directly at local fire departments, Lake Lure Town Hall, In Asheville, NC the Mission has set up donation centers at all 6 hospitals and fire departments.
The NC department of emergency management has asked that people donated directly to individual counties:

• Buncombe County: Fairview Fire Department 828-628-2001
  • Burke County: Fire Information Hot Line 828-764-9380
  • Clay County: Office of Emergency Management 828-389-9640
  • Cherokee County: Office of Emergency Management 828-837-7352
  • Graham County: Office of Emergency Management 828-479-7967
  • Jackson County: Office of Emergency Management 828-586-7592
  • Macon County: Office of Emergency Management 828-349-2067

Mostly these families need prayer.
Many of the homes lost everything. So anything you can think to donate will help.

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
IMG_4302.JPG
Firefighters finally getting a nap. Very powerful photo.

N

NewWine

They gave many of the firefighters on the pinnacle mountain fire the day off yesterday due to 2 inches of rain in 24 hours, and said go take a well deserved rest. I can only imagine how long they slept.

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
Firefighters from my town are planning to head up there this week sometime. This whole thing is heartbreaking. People. Were trapped in hotels, the mountains. And to think someone actually started the fire intentionally.

N

NewWine

70% of these fires are arson. The first one in GA was a lightning strike, the pinnacle mountain fire was a campfire gone awry, but the rest they believe are arson. I just don't get what the point of burning a mountain does for anyone, but then again I am not an arsonist either.

K

kaylagrl

14,000 evacuated from Gatlinburg; fires still burning

Im about 4 hours from Gatlinburg but I've been trying to get in contact with many friends in that area. Some are safe. Some I haven't heard from. Just last April I was in Gatlinburg. Walked the tourist area, shopped in their shops and now it's gone. Literally GONE. Please pray for the people of Gatlinburg. This area of Tennessee is the most beautiful part of our state. I would even say that it is the most beautiful part of America.

My husband use to live there. He took me and my mother there in the fall a couple years ago. Its gorgeous in the fall. Its about 4yrs south of me. We have been watching with sadness as the fires get nearer to the town. Israel is also dealing with fires though the news has said little about it.

Billyd

May 8, 2014
I pray that they are getting some of this beautiful rain we are getting here.

Please remember that this area will need our help well into the future. Be generous both financially and physically.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
My husband use to live there. He took me and my mother there in the fall a couple years ago. Its gorgeous in the fall. Its about 4yrs south of me. We have been watching with sadness as the fires get nearer to the town. Israel is also dealing with fires though the news has said little about it.
Is that light years or have they come out with a new way to measure distance with time?

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
I pray that they are getting some of this beautiful rain we are getting here.

Please remember that this area will need our help well into the future. Be generous both financially and physically.
People here have been awesome about donations and volunteers going up there to help. After I pick my son up from school we are going to go buy items to be sent there.
One thing I'll say about Tennesse is when tragedy strikes the entire state gets involved. People call us backwoods, hicks and hillbillies but these people are some of the best people around. We care about each other

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Once, I see this is a LMAO smiley, according to the name of it, lol.. Are we allowed to use it in our posts w/o getting banned? lol

Is that light years or have they come out with a new way to measure distance with time?

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
Once, I see this is a LMAO smiley, according to the name of it, lol.. Are we allowed to use it in our posts w/o getting banned? lol
As long as you're laughing your butt off rather than your.....well....you know, I have no problem with it. I wouldn't post something that I wouldn't allow someone else to post.

S

Sasquatchisreal

My heart really goes out to the area. Long before I knew New England or Canada as vacation spots, I was familiar with Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. Due to being so close to the area, I still get there (on average) twice a year. Beautiful area - great foliage a few weeks back. Friendly, welcoming people. The rains really helped the last few days and from watching the weather models, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised with steady snows in the higher elevations this weekend with heavy rain elsewhere. I was pleased to donate a few goods to our local agency which is headed up to assist. The droughts were awful in the area this year but the Lord really has blessed us over the past few days with much needed rain. Fires closer to my home were fortunately eliminated with the rain. Here's hoping the same for Gatlinburg this weekend.