Would you be willing to switch denominations to get married?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Would you be willing to switch denominations to get married?

• Yes

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • No

Votes: 23 57.5%
  • Unsure

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Huh?

Votes: 2 5.0%

• Total voters
S

SeatBelt

No...but I did however get a Fig & a possible restraining order. LOL
at least you didn't end up with polygamist sister-wives, eh?

I got all the doughnuts left behind in all the Bible classes when folks left out to go to the worship service!
C'mon iTtS, Let's go score us a nice spot to eat this carload of doughnuts and compare crazy-ex stories!

3d1l

She Pentecostal, me Reformed Baptist (in the line of 1689 Baptist Confession of Faith).

We tried and it didn't work and I'm not talking about liturgy or worship style it was serious differences in core doctrines. At the end, it was hurtful for her and it was doubly hurtful for me (since I felt really bad and responsible for her).

I won't recommend it unless her or his denomination is very similar to yours.

L

livingepistle

I struggled with this very issue for years but the Holy Spirit directed me again and again to this question: "How can you say you love me and have not love for others that believe in Me". This thread poses an excellent question for me as a Christian.

The Bible is very clear about being unequally yoked with "Unbelievers"--Those that have left the faith and those that do not believe in Christ Jesus; not denominations. The wrong interpretation of what is correct/incorrect doctrine being taught concerning the Word can destroy and prevent potentially great fellowship/marriage with other true believers in Jesus.

The only place in scriptures that I have found where Christians are to reject fellowship with an individual is if that denomination teaches doctrine classified as "Doctrines of Devils". 2 King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.), John 1:7: "For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist."

My hang-up in the past was concerning doctrine centered on the Godhead; I can only imagine that the thread indirectly is addressing similar differences; e.g., "Doctrinal" differences between Christians of different "Denominations".

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.), John 14:1: "Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me." This question settled my concerns forever with individual beliefs about the Godhead. When considering "denominational-isms", everyone that I have met that profess to be a Christian does believe that Jesus came in the "flesh". John 14:21: "He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him."
Jesus is very clear in John 14:21 when he states “that it is He, that will reveal himself”. It is not for me to judge others concerning if they understand the Godhead. It is for me-- to love Christ and keep His commandments and fellowship/assemble with others that are doing the same. By loving those that love Jesus, the world will know that we are of Him because we show forth the same love that He has for us.

The only Spiritual difference or reason I would not marry someone is if she did not believe that Jesus came in the flesh. Under those circumstances and only under those circumstances would I not switch denominations. Personally, if and when I meet the Christian woman of my dreams, and should decide to get married; hopefully, we would love Jesus enough to dialogue like adults and let our decision to marry be founded on what the Word says.

Last edited by a moderator:

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
I thought I had an answer... But then I read Green's post and have to agree that God will lead. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't.

I was raised Lutheran, but in my early 20's, my youngest brother had a serious relationship with the daughter of the pastor's of a Pentecostal church--ABOUT AS DIFFERENT from our Lutheran church as we could get. My parents and I eventually all moved over to the Pentecostal church and my Dad eventually became a pastor as well. This would not have happened if my brother hadn't started dating this girl (they didn't work out, but he's married to a wonderful Christian girl.) Likewise, denominational differences did not work out for me either in my most serious relationship. The stark contrast made one person involved so uncomfortable that the entire relationship collapsed.

I always find it intriguing that Christians always have a field day over "being unequally yoked with an unbeliever" -- YES, I KNOW THIS IS WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS.

But the thing is, it always seems to be overlooked that two believers, such as in this example, of different denominations... Can be just as much as, or even more, unequally yoked.

I am not saying at all that we shouldn't follow Biblical principles... I think we should all just be a little wiser and realistic to the fact that almost everything in life is not black and white. God may lead us in directions we would have never thought possible according to all "the rules". After all, the Pharisees claimed Jesus was of the devil because His way of being led through "the rules" was a bit different than how they thought it should go.

I

iTOREtheSKY

Is dating,marrying,then divorcing a non-believer count as "switching denominations"? lol
I don't consider myself any denomination so I guess I can't answer this properly...all I know is,if her belief system in God was so much different than mine,then I'd have to say...sorry...no can do.

B

buckeyegirl700

It depends on if the person I would consider dating church believe are similar to mine.

Fenner

Jan 26, 2013
I will go anywhere as long as refreshments are served. (I'm kidding)

M

meggars

Wait....i take it back. I said "unsure" because i read it so fast i saw "would you be willing to switch denominations WHEN you get married"....as in change churches for your spouse. THAT would depend on the church. As for switching just to be permitted to be married or to get married in a certain church? Forget it.

H

HappyPerson38

I would only marry a Born Again Believer, Baptised in Water and Baptised in the Holy Spirit.

T

twofeet

I think you left out one option on the poll....
[] Denominations Are Man-Made Garbage
^that gets my vote :)
Any Church that would require those stipulations wouldn't be worth going to in my opinion. :)
You took the words out of my mouth Billy but made em more friendly

O

OceanGrl

You took the words out of my mouth Billy but made em more friendly
I agree, denominations are pretty useless, prefer someone who goes by the word than some denomination that has man made traditions or doctrine.