- Apr 18, 2013
Thank you soo much! And you’re right, I shouldn’t be trying to make a good sermon I need to figure out what they need. And my youth pastor was praying over me and he said that he believes I’m close to something big for this ministry. That’s just makes me super excited and it makes me wonder if this message that I’m going to preach is that big thing.
Ministry: The Best Lessons are Hard Ones:
1.) If your focus is on yourself, and how you can be great, then you're focusing on the wrong things... if you're focused on the wrong things, then you'll do the wrong things.
Luke 22:24 A dispute also arose among them, as to which of them was to be regarded as the greatest.
Luke 22:25 And he said to them, “The kings of the Gentiles exercise lordship over them, and those in authority over them are called benefactors.
Luke 22:26 But not so with you. Rather, let the greatest among you become as the youngest, and the leader as one who serves.
Luke 22:27 For who is the greater, one who reclines at table or one who serves? Is it not the one who reclines at table? But I am among you as the one who serves.
2.) If your focus is on serving God, and serving the brethren, then God will GIVE YOU WAYS TO SERVE... that is what ministry is.
Mark 10:43 ...whosoever will be great among you, shall be your minister:
- The word "minister" does not mean to be the cool on the stage, or to be in charge.... the word "minster" literally means to wait on someone, like a servant. It means to be a servant.
- So if you want to do ministry, and be in ministry... you must want to be a servant, and serve others.
- If you do not want to be a servant, and serve others... then whatever you're imagining is not ministry.
- Be sure you understand what you're seeking.
3.) To reiterate: if your focus is on serving God, and serving others... if that is your heart... then God will give you ways to serve.
- The heart must first be right, then ministry follows AFTER.
- The heart must be prepared first: first the heart, then the service.
- If anyone has a right heart, and right attitude, and truly wants to serve others... God will give them ways to serve.
- But, if your heart is not set on serving others... then God will not give much genuine ministry... because your heart is not ready to do it.
Therefore... ministry is about keeping our hearts right.
Writing a sermon... that's easy... the hard part, the whole focus, is about keeping our hearts right.
If our hearts aren't right, then we aren't capable of doing "just the right things"... and our sermons will be like arrows shot into the air.. not at a target.
4. God taught us about the heart, and keeping our hearts right, a long time ago... because everything we do flows out of a right heart.
Pro 4:23 Keep your heart with all vigilance, for from it flow the springs of life.
Everything flows from within us, from our heart.
Good things, or bad things, or just pointless things... it all flows from within, from the heart.
5. You want to write a good sermon? Here is the purest, simplest secret.
Mat 12:34 ... out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.
a.) Whatever is IN your HEART... that is what comes OUT of your MOUTH.
b.) Do you want God's thoughts and God's messages to come out of your mouth?
c.) Then you must first put God's words and messages into your heart.
d. You must put God's words into your heart, before they can come out of your mouth.
e. You must saturate your mind with God's word... read and study the word, as much as possible.
f.) When you saturate your mind with God's words and thoughts... then his words and thoughts will start coming out of your mouth.
- Show all