100 Things that you can’t do without the physical presence of another person

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Ellie

Dec 14, 2009
A friend of mine (my own age) died in a car accident some months back. I hadn’t “gotten around” to “catching up” with her since my wedding, some 8 years ago, which was shortly after high school. I found out at the funeral that for a time she had been living just down the road from me.

This is not a tribute to loneliness, or a criticism of long-distance friendship. Rather it’s a simple reminder, to myself most of all, that there is no complete substitute for valuing the things around us that we can’t get back after time passes, and that we ought to be making every determined effort possible to be surrounding ourselves with flesh-and-blood, face-to-face, close-enough-to-slap-you, can-smell-what-you-had-for-breakfast human beings, and letting them into our hearts and lives.

I’m not sure if this is a twist on some other quote, but a wise friend of mine once said

“...when we sacrifice a little friendship for a little order, we will lose both, and deserve neither.”

100 Things that you can’t (or shouldn’t, or shouldn’t have to) do without the physical presence of another person

1.)Give or receive a manicure, pedicure, facial, head massage or neck and shoulder rub.

2.)Push a friend on a swing

3.)Give or receive a hug

4.)Share a meal

5.)Move house (grrrr)

6.)Get home when you find yourself stuck in a car park with a flat battery at 3am

7.)Be completely transparent and vulnerable to the accountability and sense of community that comes with sharing life

8.)Truly share a moment or experience

9.)Physically give a gift and watch the receiver unwrap it

10.)Fill a beanbag without getting beans absolutely everywhere

11.)Get a kite into the air on a day when the wind is just a bit tricky

12.)Play “Cat’s Cradle” with a piece of string

13.)Say “I love you” without words

14.)Give a shoulder a reassuring squeeze

15.)Make someone’s cosy comfort on the couch complete and undisturbed by passing the remote, bringing a drink or answering the phone

16.)Take turns driving on long road trips

17.)Go paintballing

18.)Play murder-in-the-dark, sardines, spotlight....

19.)Creep up behind someone and scare them half to death

20.)Thumb wrestle

21.)Make Lazy Lemon Meringue without the extra egg white dilemma

22.)Get a couch up the stairs

23.)Gather free second-hand furniture at verge collection time

24.)Witness some changing or defining moment in another’s life

25.)Share the warmth of a bonfire

26.)Share the smell of wildflowers on a hiking trail

27.)Share the last cookie

28.)Make chicken soup when you’re too sick to get off the couch

29.)Be “shown” and “taught”, as opposed to simply “told” how to do something that is new to you

30.)Play “Heart and Soul” on the piano

31.)Have your demeanour noticed without being able to hide how you are really feeling today

32.)Wrestle; give or receive wedgies, noogies or Indian burns

33.)Change the headlight in a car (the one that’s behind the battery!)

34.)Do certain cheerleading moves

35.)Have a pillow fight

36.)Participate in a bring-and-share, costume party or progressive dinner

37.)Be with a friend in their time of grief, and have the discernment to do nothing more than sit with them in deep, meaningful silence

38.)Be rescued when you open a cupboard and a bunch of fragile things fall partially on top of you and hang in the balance between the cupboard and your head and outstretched hands

39.)Thoughtfully spread a blanket over some tuckered-out soul who has collapsed on the couch

40.)Wait, hiding in the bottom of the food pantry at the ready to grab the ankles of some unsuspecting snack-hunter

41.)Flick a poisonous spider off your back

42.) Remove a tick when you can’t bear to look at it

43.)Notice your wearing something back to front or inside out before you leave the house

44.)Receive a jacket when you are cold and someone else who’s wearing one is not.

45.)Play noughts and crosses is the sand

46.)Share a teabag when you only want a weak cup of tea

47.)Order chocolate fondue at a restaurant without wasting any of it or getting sick

48.)Lick the bowl without being the one to make a cake

49.)Enjoy something financially costly, that you could never afford to pay for, or bless someone with something financially costly to them that you can afford

50.)Properly appreciate the clinker colour guessing game

51.)Intervene when you’re choking

52.)Get a ride home when you’re simply too tired to walk any further

53.)Get very far in a paddle raft

54.)Have regular intelligent conversations without developing MPD, OCD, or delusional attachments to stuffed animals or a soccer ball named Wilson

55.)Stop drowning from occurring when you get a cramp while swimming

56.)Get a second opinion on the taste of something you just cooked

57.)Know for sure whether or not you are only hallucinating the cat that keeps setting off the security light

58.)Pay for one meal, but eat half and half of it and the other option you were considering

59.)Huddle close to get warm

60.)Acquire second hand clothing for free

61.)Hear “God bless you” when you sneeze

62.)Read a map, navigate and drive all at once, without pulling over, in an unfamiliar place with long, tricky street names

63.)Find out what that text message says, while you’re driving

64.)Avoid stepping in dog poo that you didn’t notice on the ground right in front of you

65.)Find something you somehow keep missing even though it’s been staring you in the face the whole time

66.)Playfully kick a trouble-maker under the table

67.)Remember not to forget something very important that you keep forgetting to remember

68.)Conjure up captain planet when you’re only wind, and are missing fire, heart, earth and water

69.)Be pleasantly surprised with the arrival of random DVDs and takeout

70.)Play truth or dare

71.)Celebrate Christmas without feeling horribly depressed

72.)Have the look on your face appreciated when you ride a rollercoaster that goes upside down

73.)See-Saw

74.)Sing in harmony, or sing a “round”

75.)Take a full-length photo of yourself with a webcam

76.)Jump rope (one of those really long ones where you need someone at either end)

77.)Have a staring contest

78.)Play rock-paper-scissors

79.)Clap out “Say-Say my playmate” or “Down by the banks of the Hanky Panky” (Hm. It’s never quite occurred to me how dodgy that is, lol)

80.)(For some of us)- Reach grocery items on a high shelf at the store

81.)”Coooo-ee!” your way out of being lost in the bush

82.)Lend

83.)Borrow

84.)Effectively collect trading cards

85.)Share a workload

86.)Develop patience by having to wait for your turn in the bathroom

87.)Have a good reason to call shotgun as you approach the car

88.)Notice when your audible self-talk has transitioned from using the odd made up word here and there into having invented an entire language no one else understands

89.)Obtain toilet paper that’s at the other end of the house when you’ve already done your business and suddenly realise that the bathroom supply is empty

90.)Climb a tree, when you need a boost

91.)Share a knowing look regarding a relevant secret or inside joke

92.)Effectively hold a hand

93.)Effectively shake hands

94.)Compare body temperatures, so that you can work out whether it really is as cold as you think or whether you’re just a big sooky-la-la

95.)Get a good kick up the backside when you need one

96.)Get squirted in the face with a water gun or hit with a water bomb on a hot day

97.)Have a food fight

98.)Discover completed chores that you didn’t complete

99.)Waltz

100.)Have your life sincerely witnessed by someone as screwed up as you are, who you can bless and be blessed by, simply by making an effort to often be in proximity of one another
-I’m sure this is the short list! So please add to it.-
xxx

Last edited:
C

ChristianTeen

Wow! Impressive! How long did it take you to come up with this? Lol!

Ellie

Dec 14, 2009
It practically wrote itself! I scribbled some things down when I got up that I intended to "jump on cc and post later"... but when I left the house, my brain was involuntarily bombarded with additions to the list, which I used my phone to record. I had no idea I'd end up with 100. I was relieved to hit "post" so I could force myself to stop thinking about it! Mustv been a God thing.