2 Questions About Hair & Speaking In Tongues

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Aug 12, 2013
If you don't mind, i'd like to ask what you believe about "speaking in tongues," and having "long hair as a man," as my brother being a missionary and many other people use the verses around 1 Corinthians in Chapter 11. They say its clear a man shouldnt have long hair and that i have it they will pay to get it cut. And speaking in tongues, some say it means to have the spirit to help you be able to speak to others that can only speak maybe german and you can only speak english. so that maybe you can tell them God's word, the holy spirit will live in you and help you be able to speak with their language. Yet, others say it is the holy spirit taking over you inside and you start saying words no one but God understands and its a wonderful thing but you yourself dont even know what you're saying, they even say they experienced it, and they have never been known to lie to me... so... i am asking what you believe and why if you dont mind.

Jilly81

Jan 16, 2011
The tongues can be either one. It can be a heavenly language that only God could understand (unless He supernaturally gave a human the interpretation), or it can be other earthly languages, like in the second chapter of the book of Acts when it first happened :).

Concerning the hair, it does say that long hair on a man is a disgrace to him (in the 14th verse), like you said. It does specifically say that it is a disgrace to the wearer, so it's not like it's hurtful to other people, but I hope you don't want to disgrace yourself. Besides, short hair is so much more attractive on gentlemen :).

Aug 12, 2013
so you're saying both those ways of tongues are true? and... if there is a disgrace to long hair, how long does hair have to be till it is known being long? how long can i make it before it becomes disgraceful? some ppl think long hair is at the bottom of ur neck, some think its ur shoulder some think its until it reachers your bottom! who is telling the truth? i dont see where the bible describes that differently. if it is common sense and we want to truly know, then how come there isnt a simple way to see it? can you help that? (it also does say how a woman should have long hair and not short hair as a man, so when is their hair short?)

Last edited:
Z

Zee_Zelot

Tongues of men and the tongue of angles; in the early years I spoke the with tongue of the Holy Spirit unto God when I was in distress or praising him, but through time; my understanding of Him and His teachings the speaking in the unknown tough ceased. There was no need for this ability any longer, so in my mind speaking in the unknown tough is for babes.

Wear the hair as you please, it is no sin unless one is doing for spite.

Continue to ask (many many) questions, but be careful who you hear. (God or man)