2hours and 24 minutes.Can I be sure 10% of my income (tithe)is the Christian way?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
A

Augustine

I want to start devoting to spend 2 hours and 24 minutes first thing in the morning with God.I have heard that 10 percent of our income is what was asked of God's people in the book of Malachi I want to say.I would love to have your prayers in helping me accomplish this.

U

Ugly

A 10% tithe is not in the NT. God desires us to give freely and without complaint whatever we choose to. If you want to do 10% as simple way to measure, thats fine, but there is no obligation of 10%.

C

CanadaNZ

Yes please to not make it a legalistic obligation, it is Jesus and nothing else. Not Jesus and giving 10%, etc

P

psychomom

I agree. But if the Lord places this on your heart, we certainly are in no place to judge you on it either. (Romans 14)
♥ ~ellie

Jun 24, 2010
The tithes (tenth part or one tenth off the top of the spoils) was instituted under the priesthood of Melchizedek (Gen 14:18-20) and not under the law of Moses which came after. This is an everlasting priesthood (Ps 110:4, Heb 5:6) that God's Son was called after the order of this priesthood (Heb 5:10, 6:20).

Read (Hebrews 7) and if you can read it in the amplified version it would help. It tells an awful lot about the tithe that was given and the priesthood it was given to. Who is this high priest Melchizedek and is this priesthood still in effect? We even find out in this chapter about the charge of Levi to take tithes (a tenth part) from the people (brethren). Melchizedek was not of the ancestry of that Levitical priesthood but received tithes (a tenth part) from Abraham. The Levitical priesthood received tithes being subject to death but it is reported that Melchizedek received tithes from Abraham and lived perpetually.

When you read and study (Heb 7) you have to decide under what priesthood do we, as NT believers, give unto. Was Christ made a Priest after the order of Levi or after the order of Melchizedek? If Melchizedek, then it is a perpetual priesthood that has no ending and has been sworn with an oath forever. Is Christ our High priest and are we under Christ in that same priesthood? If we are then there is no reason not to give tithes (a tenth part) because it has never been done away. It was instituted before the law and without law and is continues without law, that is why we do it cheerfully and not leave it undone.

For the NT believer-priest we give tithes (a tenth part off the top of our income or increase) and offerings (over and above the tithes) based upon the order of Melchizedek, a perpetual order, who Christ was made to be Priest. Tithes have nothing to do with the law under Moses but was enforced under the Levitical priesthood (Aaron) but came before the law by Abraham under a perpetual order and priesthood.

Last edited:
F

frankleespeaking

I want to start devoting to spend 2 hours and 24 minutes first thing in the morning with God.I have heard that 10 percent of our income is what was asked of God's people in the book of Malachi I want to say.I would love to have your prayers in helping me accomplish this.

congratulations your well on your way to becoming a legalistic Christian, but first figure out why as a new testiment gentile believer that you are still under old testiment mandates that applied to the Jewish people under Jewish law in support of the Levites who took care of the temple.........please post a New testiment scripture that denotes we are still under the Jewish priesthood laws

I

ib4gzus

Many churches today continue to teach that believers must give 10% of their income to the church.

However, the apostle Paul, our apostle in the dispensation of grace, never once mentions tithing as the prescribed means for giving. On the contrary, Paul says that we should give as we purpose in our hearts, and not of necessity
(2 Cor 9:7). Paul makes it clear that giving in the dispensation of grace is based on a willing mind (2 Cor 8:12), not a fixed percentage of your income.

While it is true that giving is of the highest importance for the support of the ministry, this giving is the result of a grateful heart, not a legal regulation. In fact, the Bible teaches that we are no longer under the law (Rom 6:14; Gal 3:23-25, 5:18).

Grace frees us to give from a willing heart, not for the sake of necessity.

C

Crazy4GODword

Now first off the word thithe means a tenth of whatever, I would suggest cheerfully giving your thithes instead of religiously (2 Corinth 9:7), but if you do want to do it right you should with a right heart and motives give a tenth to God (Lev 27:30). I mean it's only a tenth of what God has fully given to you. If I gave you a $100 and asked for only 10 back, would you argue I mean you got 90% out of it. For God loves a cheerful giver (2 Corinth 9:7).