700 Year Old "Doodles" Found

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 18, 2013
Well to give us a little break from the usual news here is a little article complete with numerous pictures that I found last night before bed that I found very amusing. Trapped within the book bindings of some rather ancient books they found ancient doodles and/or notes. I found this to be highly interesting myself being something of a history nerd. However there is a little something for everyone in here.

For people that are particularly religious one will note of course the fact these are Christian monks, though not all these are about the Bible particularly, they do offer a window in the process of writing and copying prior to the invention of the printing press of which the Bible being a highly requested book in that time era would have been included. They also lend a bit of indirect support in other certain factors like the idea of faithful translation with some of the fragments and pages showing the monks practicing translation into several languages like Hebrew and Greek. Also very interesting is it includes some of the earliest known translation attempts of Arabic language by Europeans.

For those not particularly religious, well there's still some fun stuff in here that anyone can appreciate such as beautiful ancient calligraphy, some casual and funny ancient schoolhouse artwork ("doodles"), and even one of the oldest written musical notations.
700-year-old doodles by medieval scribes - CNN.com

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Nice.

#11 hymn book? Didn't know they sang hymns 700 years ago.

I enjoyed the reader's comments as well, reminded me of this forum.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
This is SO WEIRD.

I usually don't keep my doodles more than a few days.

T

Tintin

Nice.

I found a song in the Lutheran Hymnal from 970AD. Needless to say, it wasn't in English.

Dec 18, 2013
This is SO WEIRD.

I usually don't keep my doodles more than a few days.
Lol, well an interesting thing about this find is it seems the monks did not so much intend to keep their doodles around. The doodles are something of sloppy copies and scrap paper. What they did according to the article is when it comes time for binding the book they'd just put all the scrap papers into the bindings so that the finished product would appear as perfect as can be, and for no wonder, as before the printing press the only avid readers were clergy, nobles, and kings, and those type of people typically are demanding of high quality.

Ironically because they put the scraps in the bindings so as to get rid of them, this preserved them. Heh reminds me of that old saying "one man's trash is another's treasure."

Mar 21, 2011
Nice.

From Wikipedia:

Since the earliest times, Christians have sung "psalms and hymns and spiritual songs", both in private devotions and in corporate worship (Matthew 26:30; 1 Cor 14:26; Ephesians 5:19; Colossians 3:16;James 5:13; cf. Revelation 5:8–10; Revelation 14:1–5).
Hymn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

V

VioletReigns

Very intriguing. Thanks for sharing this. :D