A decision where I need your friendly support...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Oct 20, 2016
Hi there all! I have my talent show coming up and I'm participating in the category of solo dancing to the song "Staying alive" by Bee Gees .
The problem is...my mom being reluctant to agree to this. She doesn't want me to participate in the dance since it's not pleasing as a child of God.

The reason I'm participating is partially because my pals...they're encouraging me and I also I thought this was an opportunity for me to be confident...It's also my first and last talent show in the school. I lost my voice so singing is out of option and I don't have a talent with any musical instruments.

My question is : As a born again Christian... Should I participate? Or not?

I think I should listen to mom but all of your opinions provided with related bible verses would be really helpful!
Thanks a lot!:)

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
I don't see anything wrong with it. You're doing it as part of a fun show, not to show off your disco dance skillz to everyone.. lol.. I love to dance. God loves to see us dance.. as long as it's not like dirty dancing.. lol

Jan 27, 2015
Dancing is okay. I danced in the talent show my senior year in high school, and I went to a Christian school, where they taught dance classes. I'm with Blue; as long as it's not booty-popping and grinding and twerking and such :p

Even better, you can change your song selection and do a worship dance. :) That sounds like something that would make both you and your mom happy.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Normally, if someone asked me if they should use a Bee Gees song for something...
I would just immediately tell them to seek therapy.

:)

Feb 7, 2015
Why, precisely, does your mother think this particular performance "is not pleasing as a child of God?" She probably has more of a reason than just her opinion.

violakat

Apr 23, 2014
Biblelearner123: I grew up in a home where dancing was not allowed, unless you were dancing with one you were married to. The reason behind this was because it was believed that dancing could lead to feelings that were more then innocent romantic feelings.

I'm with Willie on this, ask your mom why she feels this way.

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
well priority is always what the parents say.
my opinion.. well theres no way for you to take me somewhere playing good oldies without me dancing around lol.
Depends how u dance lol. if you go off like Miley Cyrus you can be sure thats no good in participating in that lol

Aug 2, 2009
Last edited:

violakat

Apr 23, 2014
We can show scripture that does show God does not have problems with dancing that praises Him. However, God want's us to respect and obey our parents.

Exodus 20:12 "Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee."

Leviticus 19:23 "
You shall fear every man his mother, and his father, and keep my sabbaths: I am the LORD your God."

Ephesians 6:1 "
Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right."

1 Samuel 15:22 "
[FONT=Arimo, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]And Samuel said, has the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams."[/FONT]

[FONT=Arimo, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Again, I'm going to suggest you talk with your mom about her concerns. Not with us. She is your mom and has the right to insist on certain things, especially since you are not of age, and are living in her home. And like I said before, I grew up in a similar manner as you, when it came to dancing, and I did question it. And while I don't necessarily agree in some aspects, I respected my mom. You need to obey your mom. If she says do not dance, then do not dance. If she says it's fine, then it's fine. [/FONT]

U

Ultimatum77

Hi there all! I have my talent show coming up and I'm participating in the category of solo dancing to the song "Staying alive" by Bee Gees .
The problem is...my mom being reluctant to agree to this. She doesn't want me to participate in the dance since it's not pleasing as a child of God.

The reason I'm participating is partially because my pals...they're encouraging me and I also I thought this was an opportunity for me to be confident...It's also my first and last talent show in the school. I lost my voice so singing is out of option and I don't have a talent with any musical instruments.

My question is : As a born again Christian... Should I participate? Or not?

I think I should listen to mom but all of your opinions provided with related bible verses would be really helpful!
Thanks a lot!:)
I don't see what the problem if you're just dancing by yourself? I know it's a cultural thing to Christianize everything but really dancing is not ungodly it is actually great exercise and fun lol...

Being an Indian I understand your parents concern to no "be worldly" by dancing but I think they should let you participate in a school talent show....it's not like your going to the club or partying or something lol......Indian parents can be a hard bunch believe me ;)......they mean well but can be quite rigid in old beliefs/traditions that are impractical in the modern world but refuse to adapt them to current things in society......One can dance and be godly at the same time as the above posters have mentioned as long as it's not "club dancing" if you catch my drift....

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2016
Thank you all! For your blessed support which you all have shown through your opinions, bible verses! I praise God too!??????:)
I posted my problem on the day before auditions... I went for the auditions...And I read this thread:)....I prayed about it...

And in the end...I unregistered myselfXD Lol! After more introspection...I found out ....I only wanted to participate after all

I don't dance with a "club partying" motive but I think I'm somehow maybe though...because I'm dancing to a disco dance?

I asked mom about it and she said that it would lead to more distractedness from the spiritual race which we are running through...

Anyways, now my doubts are cleared and thank you everyone! For your Amazing graceful support by the Grace of God! Indeed it's a blessing that I joined this forum :)

N

NewWine

As a born again Christian, regardless of what I think of dancing, secular music and all that....I have to tell you to listen to your mother until you are of age and on your own. It's not my home to set the rules, so it would be impolite and unloving of me to try and dismantle the rules set within another's home.
Now, if your mama didn't specifically tell you not to participate, and only expressed concern about it....I see nothing wrong with the lyrics in this particular song, so as long as you're not out there "shakin' what'cha mama gave you", I see nothing wrong with participating. This could be what makes her see you as more of a responsible decision maker, allowing her to build more trust in your choices.