A family member is going through a very tough time in their job, what can I do to help?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jul 12, 2021
This is the most giving, kindness, hardworking, loving person ever. He has always walked in the Lord's path and has the greatest faith I have ever witness. But he is currently overworking at his job, which is just so demanding. He literally work 20 hours a day, overworked burned out and its killing me to see him in this state. He likes his job, he is thankful for the job, but the company is going through some challenges that required him to work non-stop in order to help the company, everyone is depending on him. I have been praying and praying and I don't know what else to do. I ask God give him strenght, wisdom, guidance and send him the right people that can aid him to accomplish what the company needs. What can I do to help from a spiritual point of view as I am no where near qulified to help in his job, or even come come close to understanding what he needs because is a very high level position? What can I tell him to keep him motivated? Any bible verses I can recommend so that he knows God deliver?

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
This is the most giving, kindness, hardworking, loving person ever. He has always walked in the Lord's path and has the greatest faith I have ever witness. But he is currently overworking at his job, which is just so demanding. He literally work 20 hours a day, overworked burned out and its killing me to see him in this state. He likes his job, he is thankful for the job, but the company is going through some challenges that required him to work non-stop in order to help the company, everyone is depending on him. I have been praying and praying and I don't know what else to do. I ask God give him strenght, wisdom, guidance and send him the right people that can aid him to accomplish what the company needs. What can I do to help from a spiritual point of view as I am no where near qulified to help in his job, or even come come close to understanding what he needs because is a very high level position? What can I tell him to keep him motivated? Any bible verses I can recommend so that he knows God deliver?
Romans 5:3-4
More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope,

James 5:11
Behold, we consider those blessed who remained steadfast. You have heard of the steadfastness of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, how the Lord is compassionate and merciful.

What you can do from a spiritual standpoint is number one pray. Pray and believe that God will answer your prayers.

Then do what you can to help carry his burdens and be an encourager using God's Word.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
It's not good and it is not of God.
"In vain you rise early and stay up late, toiling for bread to eat—for He gives sleep to His beloved." Psalm 127:2

I'm by no means a legalist. However, God commanded the day of rest for a reason. We should work to live, not live to work. Another reason God commanded a day of rest is so that we can exercise faith. Farmers, which most Israelites were, are prone to work 7 days a week. God says that if we will obey, He will provide and we will not suffer loss.

There may be times when we must work long hours and go without proper rest. It should be the exception and for a short period of time. If people overdo things they become less productive and more error prone. It also can lead to health and relationship problems.

The other "go to" passage is Proverbs 3.

"5Trust in the LORD with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. 6In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight. 7Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD and turn away from evil. 8It will be healing to your body and refreshment to your bones."

"Do not rely on logic or reason" is another way of putting it. We need to learn to trust God in every aspect of life, including what we may think of as natural.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
20 hours

what

that leaves only 4 hours for sleeping and eating!

Well...there must be some labour laws against that. Or he must be getting paid top dollar. If he doest want to stop or take any breaks then he'll soon learn the meaning of 'burnout'.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
what you can do

Organise a holiday/vacat ion for him. Say hes won it and he has to take it. Make it so attractive that he cannot refuse. If he wants to go to Disneyland for the week with kids , pay for the tickets.

Jul 12, 2021
20 hours

what

that leaves only 4 hours for sleeping and eating!

Well...there must be some labour laws against that. Or he must be getting paid top dollar. If he doesnt want to stop or take any breaks then he'll soon learn the meaning of 'burnout'.
Yeah, top dollar salary so he puts whatever hours he wants. I think he is getting very close to burnout. He always says oh just two more weeks, or just this month. Its been like this for the past six months. He said he will get a break for Thanksgiving and spend it with us, nope didn't happen. Now he is saying he will take some days off for Christmas, but doubt it will happen.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I can only think of Ecclesiastes chapter 3 esp verse 13

He's missing out on enjoying the fruits of his labour.

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
Yeah, top dollar salary so he puts whatever hours he wants. I think he is getting very close to burnout. He always says oh just two more weeks, or just this month. Its been like this for the past six months. He said he will get a break for Thanksgiving and spend it with us, nope didn't happen. Now he is saying he will take some days off for Christmas, but doubt it will happen.
Sorry but it sounds like he is making unwise decisions based on making more money and/or bowing down to the company instead of considering his health.

T

TheIndianGirl

You friend is suffering from burnout, plain and simple. Many industries have such a work culture, you go in knowing you will be stressed and work long hours, and there is not much you can do about that. There is not much negotiation room with the boss. I believe your friend needs to assess his career and the industry in which he works, and if his career/industry requires such hours he may want to consider something else. However if he went into another type of careers, and believe he should have more work/life balance, he can, 1) try talking to his boss, 2) use better time management, and 3) delegate some tasks to others.

listenyoumustAll

Jul 22, 2021
If you have cash gift to him simple