A family together,

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Nov 17, 2018
I am concerned about my family and thier path in Christ. My children both attend a Christian school, and weekly church attendance is encouraged. This is no problem for the 3 of us, But I am having a hard time getting my husband to join us on a regular basis. He has told me that God is the last thing he thinks about and that breaks my heart. I have tried in the past to encourage, threaten, beg, and bribe him to go.
I am now past the point of trying and I almost rather him not be there because I tend to hold back.
Advice, should I give up and only worry about myself and children OR speak to him. Forcing him to go won't make him want to go, but it isn't setting a great example for our kids.
Thanks for any input

Sep 13, 2018
I am concerned about my family and thier path in Christ. My children both attend a Christian school, and weekly church attendance is encouraged. This is no problem for the 3 of us, But I am having a hard time getting my husband to join us on a regular basis. He has told me that God is the last thing he thinks about and that breaks my heart. I have tried in the past to encourage, threaten, beg, and bribe him to go.
I am now past the point of trying and I almost rather him not be there because I tend to hold back.
Advice, should I give up and only worry about myself and children OR speak to him. Forcing him to go won't make him want to go, but it isn't setting a great example for our kids.
Thanks for any input
What do you mean that weekly service is encouraged? Are your children interested in learning about Christ? Your husband is a grown man, He is going to do what he wants. My focus would be on the children...

GardenofWeeden

Jul 27, 2018
The Garden of Weeden
Instead of worrying about his attendance in church services, I'd pray for him to come to God, wherever God sees fit for that. Don't nag him, but instead be Christ to him. Make your life so contagious that he wants to know more. Be the forgiver, the patience, the Love he doesn't even realize God offers yet. But do all of this knowing he has free will and may never want to change.

Anyways, that's just my opinion. You know him better than any of us to know how best to encourage him.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
How to handle it when you are unequally yoked is quite a problem.

You can never live someone else's life, you cannot force them to think as you do. The Lord knows of your problem and is working for you, but you cannot force God either. God also lets us be free to choose our own way, God is allowing your husband freedom.

You can, however, choose your own way. You can see to it that your life is filled with the Lord's joy and service to Him. You can help your children in their walk. And you can keep alert to any opening your husband gives you to witness to him. Again, you can't force him to open up to God through you. You must wait, even if the time never comes, with faith in the Lord that the Lord is helping you with your problem yet leaving your husband free to make his own decisions.

When God does not force anyone but waits with love for them certainly we cannot take on forcing when even the Lord would not do that.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
No one can force another person to love God and follow him. So please stop trying to force him. Instead, pray for him to know Christ.

Do witness by your actions, your love for God. And take your children to church, pray for them and with them. Your husband is a terrible role model for following God, so you have to be the spiritual leader. You are not usurping his role, he gave it up himself.

Praying God saves your husband, and gives you strength to lead your children.