A Loving Marriage Glorifies God

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

Jullianna

Ephesians 5:25-29

25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her, 26 that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word, 27 that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish. 28 So husbands ought to love their own wives as their own bodies; he who loves his wife loves himself. 29 For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as the Lord does the church.

Some people seem to have an issue with a couple truly loving one another, as if this somehow interferes with their relationship with God. I don't get it. For me, a loving relationship GLORIFIES God.

While women are only called to respect and submit to their husbands by scripture, men are called to love their wives to the point of giving their lives for their wives, if necessary, as Christ did for us. What an amazing love that is! How could any woman not respond lovingly to such a thing?

When I look at couples walking across the church parking lot holding hands or other forms of affection that show their lasting love for one another it truly blesses my heart. It shows me openly the power of God in a marriage and the bond they have in Him. I imagine all of the tests their vows must have taken, but their faith held them together in love...in HIS love.

Our spouses, families even, should not come before God, of course, but I think a truly loving marriage is a blessing from the Lord.

NOTE: I'm thinking this is truly the test for knowing whether you should marry someone. Would you be willing to lay down your life for them? If you think about your vows, in a way, that's what you are doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jullianna

hmmm...well...I guess I just figured out why I'm still single! :D No one else is interested in a loving, affectionate marriage.

C

Crossfire

hmmm...well...I guess I just figured out why I'm still single! :D No one else is interested in a loving, affectionate marriage.

*lol*

I couldn't agree more with the original post Julianna. It breaks my heart to encounter married couples where one spouse seems to burning with passion to both know and serve God with all of their heart while the other spouse not only seems to disinterested in the things of God, they actually appear jealous of God due to their spouse's affections toward God.

This happens a lot and is something that every Christian couple and any single Christian contemplating marriage should take into deep consideration. In all honestly, this is probably my biggest concern regarding marriage.

Another awesome post Julianna. Keep it up! :)

J

Jullianna

Thank you for helping me not feel like CC's Biggest Wierdo :) (Is there a trophy for that? ;) )

C

Crossfire

Thank you for helping me not feel like CC's Biggest Wierdo :) (Is there a trophy for that? ;) )
*LOL* I've often discovered that God is full of pleasant surprises. You never really know what kind of blessing He has in store for us just around the corner. :D

Snackersmom

May 10, 2011
Can I join the Weirdo Club? :D I loved your post, Julianna. I've always felt that a marriage that is ordained by God is a truly beautiful thing, a real synergy. You shouldn't love your spouse more than you love God, of course, but you should certainly love them with a deep, spiritual bond. Isn't that what we're told to do? I would think that it would come naturally, if you are with the person that God wants you to be with :)

Liamson

Feb 3, 2010
Ephesians 5:25-29

25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her, 26 that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word, 27 that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish. 28 So husbands ought to love their own wives as their own bodies; he who loves his wife loves himself. 29 For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as the Lord does the church.

Some people seem to have an issue with a couple truly loving one another, as if this somehow interferes with their relationship with God. I don't get it. For me, a loving relationship GLORIFIES God.

While women are only called to respect and submit to their husbands by scripture, men are called to love their wives to the point of giving their lives for their wives, if necessary, as Christ did for us. What an amazing love that is! How could any woman not respond lovingly to such a thing?

When I look at couples walking across the church parking lot holding hands or other forms of affection that show their lasting love for one another it truly blesses my heart. It shows me openly the power of God in a marriage and the bond they have in Him. I imagine all of the tests their vows must have taken, but their faith held them together in love...in HIS love.

Our spouses, families even, should not come before God, of course, but I think a truly loving marriage is a blessing from the Lord.

NOTE: I'm thinking this is truly the test for knowing whether you should marry someone. Would you be willing to lay down your life for them? If you think about your vows, in a way, that's what you are doing.

I feel like you guys are saying the opposite things.

*lol*

I couldn't agree more with the original post Julianna. It breaks my heart to encounter married couples where one spouse seems to burning with passion to both know and serve God with all of their heart while the other spouse not only seems to disinterested in the things of God, they actually appear jealous of God due to their spouse's affections toward God.

This happens a lot and is something that every Christian couple and any single Christian contemplating marriage should take into deep consideration. In all honestly, this is probably my biggest concern regarding marriage.

Another awesome post Julianna. Keep it up! :)
Jullianna is afraid of being in a stifling marriage where passion is lost because of people forgetting the purpose of marriage because of the want to serve God.

Crossfire is afraid of losing focus on God, by virtue of being to distracted by falling in love and being married.

These seem opposite in a way.

If I love my wife I am going to do many things for her that might seem crazy but, because she is my wife there isn't anything I won't do for her. This is what God intended for marriage to be.

Also, if I am falling in love with someone with a desire to be married to them it is going to be built on the foundation of serving God. It is not something that is in competition within our marriage but rather is the reason for it.

K

keep_on_smiling

Jullianna -I think you are absolutely right. To be able to lay down your life for someone is the ultimate show of love. It is in fact what Christ did for us. What a sweet sweet love. It's an interesting question that you bring up and sadly I don't think a majority of people even think about the vows they make to their loved one. Thank you for sharing, it's something I will keep in mind. :)

U

Ugly

Absolutely not. I read it. I wanted to respond. But lately i've been bypassing a lot of things i've thought about responding to. I tried to Rep you and it said i had to spread the rep around 0.0

I have been learning a lot about marriage the past few years. Some on purpose, so just incidentally. Also what i think a marriage is and what i would hope my marriage will be. I think loving affection is a major priority in a healthy marriage. I'm also learning that even just loving someone does not mean you magically act right towards a person. You will still get impatient with that person sometimes, but will you let that impatience kick in and affect how you treat them? Or will you try to control your thoughts and actions? For me, i find a great help is the 'love verse'. (love is patient love is kind etc...) So whenever i feel some sort of negative feeling or reaction i stop myself, remind myself of that verse and ask myself, 'am i acting in love?'. Has prevented me from having a lot of petty arguments and frustrations and hurting people i care about.

K

kayem77

I was going to join the Weirdo Club yesterday and I had written something, and then I accidentally deleted it ....don't you hate when that happens? :(

I'm not married but I think anyone who understands God's love would agree that marriage should be loving. I don't know how can somebody think that a little more attention to your spouse could hinder having a good relationship with God. I think a Christian marriage should be the most loving marriage anyone can experience in this world, and it's so sad to see that some people think that just because you are both christian your marriage is automatically fine.

Something is very wrong when I see a couple who are not christians but their affection towards one another is inspiring, then you look at the christian couple which is supposed to be even better, and there's no affection at all, like if passion was a sin or something.They are more focused on 'their roles and in doing their part and that's it.

When you look to the analogy of Christ and the Church and Man and Woman one simply can't say that love is not in the equation or affection, even what we call romance which is doing something special for that person.
Christ gave his life for his Church, he cleaned her, adorned her, nourished her, constantly seeks for her,there are moments when I forget that God loves me and then BAM! he does something to remind me :). We love because He first loved us...and our response is in worship,prayer (communication), , making sure we are still close to him, make sure we are still one...
I think God expects us to follow his example and do what he does with us.

J

Jullianna

Excellent post, Karla :) CC won't let me rep you again so soon :rolleyes:

I'm not afraid of a marriage without passion. :) I just can't imagine there coming a time when I would be willing to settle for that. I serve God with passion. I intend for any marriage I have to be passionate as well. For a man to truly understand me and love me, he would need to understand this and be a person of passion as well.

I'm not talking about Antonio Banderas riding in like Zorro with a rose in his teeth and sweeping me off of my feet (though I think I did have that dream once :D )... I mean passion of the heart...fire in the soul. That's the stuff those marriages are made of. The passion of the psalmist...the fire of Solomon's Song. A love that will lay down a life.

hmmm....it just occurred to me that the world probably sees the word "passion" very differently than we do, huh? Unless they've seen The Passion of the Christ...

J

Jullianna

Absolutely not. I read it. I wanted to respond. But lately i've been bypassing a lot of things i've thought about responding to. I tried to Rep you and it said i had to spread the rep around 0.0

I have been learning a lot about marriage the past few years. Some on purpose, so just incidentally. Also what i think a marriage is and what i would hope my marriage will be. I think loving affection is a major priority in a healthy marriage. I'm also learning that even just loving someone does not mean you magically act right towards a person. You will still get impatient with that person sometimes, but will you let that impatience kick in and affect how you treat them? Or will you try to control your thoughts and actions? For me, i find a great help is the 'love verse'. (love is patient love is kind etc...) So whenever i feel some sort of negative feeling or reaction i stop myself, remind myself of that verse and ask myself, 'am i acting in love?'. Has prevented me from having a lot of petty arguments and frustrations and hurting people i care about.
Two things to remember about marital disagreements:

1. Learn to pick your battles; and
2. Making up is pretty cool :)

N

Nalu

Julia, I am CC's biggest wierdo, I don't often brag but I am also the king of shenanigans, horseplay and uncalled for acts of hooliganism.

But here is a trophy for tryin lol.

J

Jullianna

lol Nalu...just play music for them, darlin :) You're awesome like that!

Snackersmom

May 10, 2011
I don't often brag but I am also the king of shenanigans, horseplay and uncalled for acts of hooliganism.
It's POSSIBLE that you're cc's biggest weirdo, (I'll need to see some more credentials, to verify the claim) But never let it be said that ANYONE on cc has out-hooliganned Snackers. To even imply it is treading in thin ice, for sure.

Last edited: