A NON-CHARISMATIC UNDERSTANDING OF TONGUES

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
im sorry. i mean what role does Holy Spirit play in leading us to all truth?
with so many different doctrines, is the promise that God's Spirit leads us into all truth for us today, or was it only for apostles then?
Over 7,000 posts and no end to this matter????

Yes, God the Holy Spirit DOES lead us into all truth since (a) He indwells every believer, (b) He provides an unction or anointing to every believer, and (c) He is the divine Teacher who teaches every believer spiritual things, including the deep things of God.

The problem arises when (a) Christians fail to diligently and seriously study the Word of God, (b) prefer the doctrines of men over Bible truth, (c) resist the Holy Spirit and resist the truth when it is presented, and (d) jump to conclusions instead of taking the context of every verse into account.

We could elaborate on this from examples taken from these forums, but a torrent of words is no substitute for reality.

Getting back to a non-Charismatic understanding of tongues, the majority of Christians are not Pentecostal or Charismatic. By the same token, they do not need to major on the minors by beating this subject to death. Just look at all the threads on this subject. Neither side will concede that the other has a proper understanding. But Paul summed it up nicely when he said that he would rather speak 5 intelligible words of prophecy than 10,000 words in tongues.

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
You said:

"Funnily just as God can use tongues to bless, unbelievers can be possessed and use it to curse."

Believers who have not yet understood grace can also curse others. And think it's a right to do so.

VCO

Those who speak through Holy Spirit aren't confused. We basically agree on the gifts and what they are. And how they are used. Disagreement comes with doctrine, and demonstrations of power cannot be made a doctrine other than in the name of Jesus and through grace by faith.

So who really is confused?

You said: Those who speak through Holy Spirit aren't confused.

You are free to believe what you want.

I am free to believe what the Holy Spirit has taught me.

I believe You have been deceived into believing in a counterfeit of the REAL TONGUES.

So where does that leave us, ONLY ONE OPTION, just to agree to disagree. Subject Closed!

fredoheaven

Nov 17, 2015

Yes, God the Holy Spirit DOES lead us into all truth since (a) He indwells every believer, (b) He provides an unction or anointing to every believer, and (c) He is the divine Teacher who teaches every believer spiritual things, including the deep things of God.

The problem arises when (a) Christians fail to diligently and seriously study the Word of God, (b) prefer the doctrines of men over Bible truth, (c) resist the Holy Spirit and resist the truth when it is presented, and (d) jump to conclusions instead of taking the context of every verse into account.

We could elaborate on this from examples taken from these forums, but a torrent of words is no substitute for reality.

Getting back to a non-Charismatic understanding of tongues, the majority of Christians are not Pentecostal or Charismatic. By the same token, they do not need to major on the minors by beating this subject to death. Just look at all the threads on this subject. Neither side will concede that the other has a proper understanding. But Paul summed it up nicely when he said that he would rather speak 5 intelligible words of prophecy than 10,000 words in tongues.
Hahaaha! good to play sometimes those childsih things!

G

GtrPkr

"If it were not for the Word, even the very elite would be deceived..."

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
im sorry. i mean what role does Holy Spirit play in leading us to all truth?
with so many different doctrines, is the promise that God's Spirit leads us into all truth for us today, or was it only for apostles then?
I believe He absolutely is for us today. First He convicts us of our sin, and the need for a Savior. Then He seals us with the promise in the form of an earnest down payment. Then He continuously sanctifies us into the image of Christ.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
I believe He absolutely is for us today. First He convicts us of our sin, and the need for a Savior. Then He seals us with the promise in the form of an earnest down payment. Then He continuously sanctifies us into the image of Christ.
We cannot begin to comprehend the love that God has for us. He sacrificed His only begotten Son to atone for our sin. He then imputed to us the very righteousness of God by grace through faith. He cares for us everyday allowing tribulation to reveal to us how good He is even when we are not. Sealed unto the day of redemption and He loses none that are his.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
. . .

I am not sure what matter you are taking about. But this is FAR from the longest subject.

I am convinced that a certain kind of personality is the Type, that will CLING to what is false, no matter how many verses you show that they contradict. What we need to do, is make it totally acceptable to just end it, by just agreeing to disagree.

Haven't you ever wondered why there are Seven types of Churches in Revelation ? It is because GOD KNEW we human beings would never agree on everything. HE still walks around ALL Seven Churches, that agree on the DEITY OF CHRIST. What helps me, is to always remember that we need to love one another, AND WHO ARE WE TO QUESTION WHY HE PUTS UP WITH SEVEN TYPES OF CHURCHES.

Now the LONGEST THREAD EVER is Not By Works under Bible Discussion Form, and it Currently has at this minute: #98,116 posts, and it is still going strong. It was started by dcontroversal on Jan 2, 2017.

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
Hahaaha! good to play sometimes those childsih things!

1 Corinthians 13:11 (HCSB)
11 When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child.
When I became a man, I put aside childish things.

7seasrekeyed

I often do like your way with words

but let's also remember that Paul said

do not

forbid

speaking

in

tongues

5 intelligble words:

for God so loved the world

and after His Son, He sent His Holy Spirit

notuptome

May 17, 2013
I often do like your way with words

but let's also remember that Paul said

do not

forbid

speaking

in

tongues

5 intelligble words:

for God so loved the world

and after His Son, He sent His Holy Spirit
Context? Paul also said God in not the author of confusion. 1 Cor 14:33

For the cause of Christ
Roger

7seasrekeyed

Context? Paul also said God in not the author of confusion. 1 Cor 14:33

For the cause of Christ
Roger

right. so why are so many of you confused about what Paul writes?

since you believe it is a demon worshiping God through me, I would agree regarding the confusion you seem to suffer from

demons do not worship God but they do fear Him. more than many Christians sadly

notuptome

May 17, 2013
right. so why are so many of you confused about what Paul writes?

since you believe it is a demon worshiping God through me, I would agree regarding the confusion you seem to suffer from

demons do not worship God but they do fear Him. more than many Christians sadly
right.

so something else must be causing your confusion then :unsure:
You do have a tendency to put words in the mouths of others. Man has long sought to worship God by his self will. The history of Israel illustrates this quite well.

Mt 15:8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

G

GtrPkr

I am not sure what matter you are taking about. But this is FAR from the longest subject.

I am convinced that a certain kind of personality is the Type, that will CLING to what is false, no matter how many verses you show that they contradict. What we need to do, is make it totally acceptable to just end it, by just agreeing to disagree.

Haven't you ever wondered why there are Seven types of Churches in Revelation ? It is because GOD KNEW we human beings would never agree on everything. HE still walks around ALL Seven Churches, that agree on the DEITY OF CHRIST. What helps me, is to always remember that we need to love one another, AND WHO ARE WE TO QUESTION WHY HE PUTS UP WITH SEVEN TYPES OF CHURCHES.

Now the LONGEST THREAD EVER is Not By Works under Bible Discussion Form, and it Currently has at this minute: #98,116 posts, and it is still going strong. It was started by dcontroversal on Jan 2, 2017.
Revelation begins with His judgement upon those churches....

K

kaylagrl

You do have a tendency to put words in the mouths of others. Man has long sought to worship God by his self will. The history of Israel illustrates this quite well.

Mt 15:8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

So I won't be accused of putting words in your mouth what exactly does that verse have to do with people who believe tongues haven't ceased?

K

kaylagrl

Matt 6 is not talking about speaking in tongues...

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
Revelation begins with His judgement upon those churches....

But HE STILL CONSIDERS HIS OWN CHURCHES, so who are WE to add even further condemnation on them. By the way only 5 Churcheshad condemnation pronounced against them. The Smyrna Church, which is the persecuted Church, had no condemnation, because all the Phony Christians get out quickly when the Persecution starts; and the Church of Brotherly Love, the Philadelphia Christian Church, both had No Condemnation associating in their part of the message. Yes they were REAL CHURCHES in Asia Minor {Turkey}, but they Represent the Seven types of all CHURCHES that can be found Throughout Church History.

G

GtrPkr

I was simply agreeing with you in a roundabout way... Judgement is certainly God's domain. Sometimes man's forgiveness IS simply agreeing to disagree :)