A Question About a Verse.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

Jordy

1 JOHN 2:18
Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we KNOW that it is the last time. kjv

I'm confused about the phrase "the last time".

Did john actually get it wrong? It seems like he believed he was living in the last days of humanity's existence, and two thousand years have passed during this period of "the last time". Many,many people have been antichrists since the writing of this letter. Hmm... really makes me wonder.

Many people have predicted the end of the world, and yet they were/are WRONG!

Last edited:
A

AnandaHya

Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we KNOW that it is the last time. kjv

Did john actually get it wrong? It seems like he believed he was living in the last days of humanity's existence, and two thousand years have passed during this period of "the last time". Many,many people have been antichrists since the writing of this letter. Hmm... really makes me wonder.

It helps if you read it in context. when compared to eternity with God, what is your life now? what is this world if you know it will be destroyed and is passing away? why would you love the things of this world if you truly believe what God says in scriptures? why would you NOT obey God's will which is eternal?
In some ways time is relative. when you die, will this world still exist for you?

1 John 2
15 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16 For all that is in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—is not of the Father but is of the world. 17 And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever.

18 Little children, it is the last hour; and as you have heard that the[c] Antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come, by which we know that it is the last hour. 19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us; but they went out that they might be made manifest, that none of them were of us.

20 But you have an anointing from the Holy One, and you know all things.[d] 21 I have not written to you because you do not know the truth, but because you know it, and that no lie is of the truth.

T

Trax

1Jn 4:3 and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God; this is the spirit of the antichrist, of which you have heard that it is coming, and now it is already in the world.

We have been in end times for 2000 years, but God doesn't count time as man counts time.
For God, its been like 2 days. The question isn't, "are we in end times," but "how close are we
to the end." When Israel became a nation again, the world became real close. The was in
1948. That was 60 years ago. We are 60 years closer to the end now. I have studied prophecy
for 25 years, and IMO, it is at the door. I think we are that close. Three conditions lead me
to think this:

1. Dan 11:37 "He will show no regard for the gods of his fathers or for the desire of women, nor will he show regard for any other god; for he will magnify himself above them all.
Notice the phrase "no desire of women." Many interpret this to mean, the antichrist will
be a homosexual. In the past, people would have rejected him, due to this, so the world
veiw of homosexuality would have to change. It has. The acceptance of homosexuality
has been forced on the world. One down, two to go.

2. The mark of the beast. In the 1980's, I couldn't see a way to get this enforced,
except by penalty of death. Today, everyone is getting tattoos, so that obsticle
is gone and there will be no problem getting a mark. The word "mark", is translated from
a word that means to engrave, stamp, to brand. It is an image meant to be seen.
Two down, one to go.

3. The uprisings in the middle east. Many of the dictators have been removed from
power and many more will fall victim also. One thing that kept Israel safe were the
dictators in muslim countries. Their distrust of one another, kept them from coming
together against Israel. When these muslim countries get ruled by commitee, of people
with common goals and ideas, you'll get a unified front, whose target is Israel. Then,
when that happens, someone will need to step in and get that peace deal done. That
is the antichrist. This unfied front is still a work in progress. But its happening fast.

I will give a fourth condition that has yet to come into fullness yet.
Rev 6:15 Then the kings of the earth and the great men and the commanders and the rich and the strong and every slave and free man hid themselves in the caves and among the rocks of the mountains;
We just don't have that many natural caves, spread out, for that many people to
flee to. So, this may speak of bomb shelter type of protection. A cave is a hole in the
ground. There are extreme survivalist who have already built their "caves" and stocked
it with supplies. With the increase in natural disasters and the upcoming Dec 21, 2012
event, many may start to get these things built.

The end time setting is coming together in rapid pace. I think we are real close.

Snackersmom

May 10, 2011
Hi Jordy :) The Bible says that a day is as a thousand years to God; He doesn't measure time like we do. It also says that no man knows the day or the hour of Christ's return. I think that it was written that way to keep us ever-watchful, so that we would stay on our spiritual toes. Jesus said that He would come back like a thief in the night, when we least expect it. I do think that the time of His return is near, but who knows? Not me, that's for sure :).

B

babyboyblue

Sure looks like John thought it was the last time or days. But so did Paul and the deciples. Jesus said the gospel will be preached into all the world for a witness then the end would come. In Colossians, Paul said the gospel has already been preached to every creature under the sun. They all thought they were living in the last days. But there's a more sure word of prophecy that must be fulfilled. Like John and Paul we believe we're in the last days, unlike John and Paul we are actually living in the last days. The only prophecy left to be filled is the mark of the beast and we can already see it here. Just hasn't been enforced yet, but there are moves today to force it upon people. When that happens the end will come.

Nov 10, 2011
Hi Jordy :) The Bible says that a day is as a thousand years to God; He doesn't measure time like we do. It also says that no man knows the day or the hour of Christ's return. I think that it was written that way to keep us ever-watchful, so that we would stay on our spiritual toes. Jesus said that He would come back like a thief in the night, when we least expect it. I do think that the time of His return is near, but who knows? Not me, that's for sure :).

Ya know, I pointed this out when I was involved in a debate about the age of the earth and I got called an idiot lol.

Snackersmom

May 10, 2011
Ya know, I pointed this out when I was involved in a debate about the age of the earth and I got called an idiot lol.
Lol, rejoice and be exceedingly glad when men say all manner of evil things about you, for great is your reward in heaven ;)

Dec 19, 2009

Prophecy can be meant for all people as a group, or it can be meant for all people as individuals. In other words, “last time” can refer to the world coming to an end, or it can refer to the ends of each of our individual lives. Using the second interpretation, John’s words can apply to all generations.