A risky adventure

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
B

BishopSEH

I hope the title got your attention. Have you ever thought what you would do if you were to plant a church? Considered where you would plant it? Considered what the complete mission would be? Welcome to my world. Unlike you average clergyman, I do not draw my pay from the Church. Never have but will not say never will.

Now usually I work with very small groups. Usually 5-50 people forming a House or Common Area Church. Me and my team seek out communities and people that have, for lack of a better term, given up on the traditional church system. Don't get me wrong, Neither I nor any of my team have anything against corporate churches. They serve a vital role and do fantastic work but let's be honest, only Jesus is "one size fits all".

So, while I do serve the Lord in full time ministry I draw my pay from a good, old fashioned, J.O.B. instead of placing a burden on very small congregations. While it would not be right to mention the name of the company I do work for, not to mention foolish to the extreme, I can share a little seeing as it is relevant.

I work for a major manufacturing concern here in North Carolina. They provide my pay, medical and dental benefits and such. They are also union which posses some issues for a fiscal and social Christian conservative like myself. Right now there are over 2500 souls that work there from 10-12 different communities. At peak just over 3000.

As you can imagine, sin is rampant there from casual blasphemy to violence and drug use and trade. My entire team also works there with me by design. This way we can conduct ministry business during down times as well as having a captive audience to try new ways of teaching and such on.

Recently a few of my team members came to me with an idea. To form a men's ministry in the plant. I thought it was a great idea and had been thinking the same thing myself. Excited, I agreed with them and we began discussing what type of group, focus, where to meet and so on. The usual details. I noticed that as we began planning, though each of us had been praying individually over this venture, we are all slowly losing interest. None of us could figure out why either.

Again we each prayed over it, but all any of us could figure out is that this wasn't what the Lord wanted us to do. So we did the only sensible thing, we gave up. Ok, Just kidding. No, in fact we met after our shift was over in the lobby of the front office and knelt together in prayer as a group. (The management has long sense learned to just leave us alone as we benefit the plant)

At the end of the prayer we got up and began walking to our cars. God had provided an answer once again but none of us were willing to voice it because on the surface it seemed insane not to mention crazy and even a little nuts. No one has ever done what the Lord is leading us to do. When we got to the staging area out front one of my team popped the big question. What did your hear? Guess who spoke first? No it wasn't me. In fact it was none of us or more specifically, all of us. A single word, church.

Church, build a church right in the heart of a plant. Is God nuts? This place isn't even remotely friendly to those of faith. Many times they have sent people home for an unbeliever complaining that people were talking about God at work and He wants us to build a church there.

You want to talk about a "hard target" this is it. None of us on the team have ever even tried to plant a standard church, You know, building, 100-300 people, choir, pastor, youth pastor, secretaries and so on. Our skill set was always small, low cost, organizational, house church planting. Its not easy by any means but after more than a decade, we are good at it. Now we have this. While we still don't have to be concerned about the usual overhead of a building and bills, this is still huge and we all know there will be a heavy price to pay.

Now my friends, some of this is very basic. First we have to decide what kind of church to plant. I don't mean what denomination but what is the ministerial impact going to be. Well we simple recall the conversations we have had with the people that work there. So it will be a Great Commission Church. We have 10-12 communities mixing there. When God blesses us we will immediately be able to have a huge impact outside the plant. Current we are working on the statement of faith and recruiting the needed people to staff a full shift. Just one of four shifts in the plant.

Right now its all very quiet. Not out of fear but out of need to get things rolling before the management step in a try to stop this great work of faith. As we recruit we are training and canvasing for ideas. Learning more and more of the needs. Finding out the ratio of believers to agnostics to atheists and a whole raft load of detail which would bore all of you to tears.

So why am I sharing this with you? What is my motive? Well first I would like to hear what you think. Keep in mind if your not in the US you may be used to operating under laws we don't have or not aware of the laws we do have, so please keep that in mind when you comment. Same goes from those outside North Carolina.

Second, I would love to hear what you would do if you were in my position? What would you be thinking? What areas would you look into, besides the legality? From my perspective there is only one wrong answer to give and that is to quit or give up. Otherwise shoot from the hip or the heart or where ever your most comfortable shooting from.

In Christ,

Bishop SEH

K

kenisyes

My wife and I spent most of our married life starting new cutting edge ministries.

Let me ask, why do need all these numbers? Why not just start inviting the person who works next to you? Then, start playing Christian music on the radio or electronic player while you eat your lunch. Make contacts, and then suggest the contacts gather for five minutes of prayer before the day, or after lunch. Then, invite the contacts who are praying, and their friends to a picnic at a park. You sell Jesus, and let the Lord decide the numbers, and the format of what happens. If you let people design their own programs, you can always get them praying with each other for blessings on the program, and that's your core prayer meeting.

I live in a town of 10,000 people. We have 80 churches. Almost none of them will speak to each other. There are two ministeriums, three Christian basketball leagues, and so many tiny food banks, the FDA won't give any more food to any churches in the area, because of all the infighting. Unlimited free produce 20 miles away, and they can't get a team to go get it every Wednesday, because each food bank is too small to make the commitment. I traced the history: the pastor (yes, really) who founded this town did it so he could do church his way. He literally spent his wifes thousands of pounds sterling buying out all the land, and built a dam to block any other churches form forming. This is a spirit here that he started. People get called by God to serve, and all they want to do is start another church. So they get their family, rent a building, and duplicate effort. What we need is new, outside the box thinking.

B

BishopSEH

My wife and I spent most of our married life starting new cutting edge ministries.

Let me ask, why do need all these numbers? Why not just start inviting the person who works next to you? Then, start playing Christian music on the radio or electronic player while you eat your lunch. Make contacts, and then suggest the contacts gather for five minutes of prayer before the day, or after lunch. Then, invite the contacts who are praying, and their friends to a picnic at a park. You sell Jesus, and let the Lord decide the numbers, and the format of what happens. If you let people design their own programs, you can always get them praying with each other for blessings on the program, and that's your core prayer meeting.

I live in a town of 10,000 people. We have 80 churches. Almost none of them will speak to each other. There are two ministeriums, three Christian basketball leagues, and so many tiny food banks, the FDA won't give any more food to any churches in the area, because of all the infighting. Unlimited free produce 20 miles away, and they can't get a team to go get it every Wednesday, because each food bank is too small to make the commitment. I traced the history: the pastor (yes, really) who founded this town did it so he could do church his way. He literally spent his wifes thousands of pounds sterling buying out all the land, and built a dam to block any other churches form forming. This is a spirit here that he started. People get called by God to serve, and all they want to do is start another church. So they get their family, rent a building, and duplicate effort. What we need is new, outside the box thinking.
Kenisyes,

Thank you for responding. I am curious as to what you meant when you asked about me posted "all these numbers". The numbers I quoted are just general information. Number of people that work there and the number of communities represented. In terms of a single community with these numbers it would be considered a hamlet, almost a village. All they are for is simply information.

As to your suggestions, we have been doing these things for years. As the plant is predominately male, several members of my team brought to me the idea of forming a specific group type. While my team has a number of skills, organizational skills are not their strong suit. It is however, one of mine. This is just on of the reasons I am the lead planter.

As to music, all such devices are banned from the plant under the "concern for safety". Its complete and utter bull but I don't make the rules I just abide by them unless they go against the biblical principles by which I live my life.

As far as prayer groups, we currently have 8 prayer groups each with a specific focus. Some pray specifically for the management and leadership of the plant. Others, for my team and to keep us upright and encouraged as we go forth in serving the Lord. Some the focus is the nation or state or our specific cities represented. I am personally part of 2 of them and we meet before and after the shift.

Due to the nature of the shifts it is impossible, with the exception of holidays for all of us to get together and even then only if the holiday falls on the second day following the last night shift to serve. this if for safety. I will not ask a man that has put in 12 hours of hard labor to stay up for a meeting if the nature you suggested as by the time he gets his rest 24 hours will have passed. That's like asking God to take one or more of them home via a crash.

Again I was all for the original idea of a men's group. Iron sharpening iron. The Lord had a different plan. Now if it had been revealed to just me, some could say it just thought God wanted me to do that or that i might have misunderstood or any number of things. That the Lord revealed it to the entire team through the transmission of a single word, this is not to be ignored.

I have noticed in discussions with clergy around the world via the net, that most churches think too small. We serve a great big and mighty God. Nothing is too big for Him to accomplish. If He wants a Church to be planted in this company who am I to argue?

In your second paragraph what you have described to me is 80 dieing churches that have forgotten their calling. Numbers are important for the long life of a church without a doubt. So is churches working together to better serve God.

One thing you may not have thought of is that the Plant Church is a closed community. People that don't work there can't come there. This means that local churches can assist us in our ministry without seeing us as competition. Each person that joins will be encouraged to also remain in his or her home church. Partly to keep the doors of communication open but also because they still need to worship with their families and encourage them to remain faithful in not forsaking the fellowship of Believers. As their families can not come to the plant church they still need a church home.

Thus far the success is unprecedented. Many churches have agreed to help us financially as well as prayer support and to act as a firebreak with the plant management which fears us for reasons that do not make sense to me. They seem to believe that this will curtail production but that Bible speaks that we are to work as for the Lord which would have the effect of raising production, not lowering it.

Personally I think they fear that if we band together in faith that they will lose control and we will be strong enough to resist their plans. I think this is pure nonsense and I am the church planter and the one that will lead the Church in the human sense. Of course Jesus ultimately leads the Church. The thing is, while i don't like much of what goes on there, I do not speak against them.

The risk for my perspective is they will figure out who the leadership of this movement is and fire the entire team before the Church can take root. While God can use whomever He wants, not everyone listens. We did and I would love to see this come to pass in person. If they just think its me, I can still lead from outside the walls and besides I am a meticulous note taker. If I were to be fired over this I can simply pass on my notes which cover the next 2 years. By then it will be well out of the planting phase and only plant closure would disband us. This however, is unlikely.

What you need to understand is this is not a whim we are working on. The average worker spends 12.5 hours there, 1 hour in total travel. 1 hour preparing to work. and 1.5 hours winding down from work. This leaves exactly 8 hours for sleep before we repeat the process. The people who work there are constantly ground down. Marriages suffer. Morale is in the toilet. The average person that works there has been married twice and many have given up on family all together. This place is ripe for Jesus and He is coming.

In Christ,

Bishop SEH

K

kenisyes

I'm praying as I read this of course. I had assumed you were in much more the formative stages than you actually are. I mentioned the numbers, as I thought you might be planning by numbers in the initial stage. I'm sure you know that demographics are mostly irrelevant in the formation of a small special purpose core. It needs to be whoever God sends, as more can be done with ten of the right people than with a thousand of the wrong ones. If you have other area churches supporting the venture "unprecedented", view what you are doing as an extra church, and have eight meetings going now, then let me question the definition of "church", as you were asked to form it.

You are quite right. Jealousy and competition should be the normal rule for what you have stated you are trying to do. Let me ask for a couple stats that may be relevant: what percentage of the population of the economic area works at the plant, or is within one phone call of a person who does (wife, neighbor, relative, lodge member, etc.)? Second, does whatever group ordained you as bishop, have a culturally based worship style, i.e., if you were to hold a joint worship service for the entire city, say at a rented auditorium, would black vs. white be a problem for anyone attending? [Sorry, but this is North Carolina, after all.]

Here is what I am getting at. There are prophecies of a nationwide revival poised to begin on the coasts and spread inland. In the last few weeks, I have had a few things happen that suggest this could be this spring. If I am right, every city needs a single group that can function as a clearinghouse. Kind of a general meeting point across denominational barriers. You received the word "Church" according to your OP, and the instruction to "build a church within the plant". I assumed (and you probably did too) that the word you received used the word "church" in the normal 20-th century sense of "congregation". As I'm sure you know, Scripture uses the word ekklesia only for the entire Body of Christ, or the Body of Christ in a specific city. What we normally call "church" is called an "assembly" sunagoge in Scripture. Maybe that is what you are being asked to do - to build the church in your city; to augment the many assemblies by providing a single coherent point where everyone can feel they are part of the same part of the Kingdom, regardless of their "home church". This is a necessary part of any revival, since the people need to feel that what is happening is bigger than their particular church. These models mimic the home church in organization, but with tendrils that can reach tens of thousands, when something important is ready to happen. Also, you do not talk like any bishops I have known, you talk more like a person who thinks outside the denominational box, and are ready for new ventures in the Kingdom. Your skill set is a logical choice for God to use for such a project.

I don't want to distract your attention with what it happening in Milford. Dying churches, right on! Actually, what is dying is an original 200 year old idea not of the Lord. My spiritual history of Milford is in my website, third in the histories of cities file.

P

Powemm

a vision from the lord came to me

I saw the earth and all it's colors
Each color representing a nation
The colors became an iris
Mountains with riverbeds on each side
Are in it
a pupil appeared , in it are
Three things in one place
one nation
A birth canal
A celebration
I was taken to the pupil
It was like a womb
In it a man appeared

He spoke :
In my coming the earth will quake and tremble
There will be contractions
Giving birth
Nations will rise against nation
Do not
Be afraid I am
Coming ...

P

Powemm

this just popped up on my screen

1 Corinthians 2:9
King James Version (KJV)
But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

K

kenisyes

a vision from the lord came to me

I saw the earth and all it's colors
Each color representing a nation
The colors became an iris
Mountains with riverbeds on each side
Are in it
a pupil appeared , in it are
Three things in one place
one nation
A birth canal
A celebration
I was taken to the pupil
It was like a womb
In it a man appeared

He spoke :
In my coming the earth will quake and tremble
There will be contractions
Giving birth
Nations will rise against nation
Do not
Be afraid I am
Coming ...
Where did you get this from? I think I received it a few weeks ago in a prophetic newsletter from a friend, but I can't recall. It does not Google. If it's originally yours, they copied it from you.