This might be a stretch for some, but here it goes:
I was told long ago to becareful what you ask for especially during prayer. I was warned that should you pray for patience God woud flood you with those that would demand patience from you as a means of teaching you the patience you desired. This wa not an attractive method of obtaining my goal.
I also remember reading in a secular book that one's view of their parental fatheris projected onto what he/she calls God, trnsferring Him into a bigger, more dominate complete authority figure of the earthy parent.
So I struggled for a long time trying to be careful of wording, making every effort to be concise, exact and inclusive of details that matters most when asking God for anything. I wrecked my prayer life and now realize, with much shame, I fed a mistrust of the Good Father, until it became an uncontrollble beast.
But yesterday I was reminded of section of scripture that I had read often, but never aquired the understanding I presently have, which showed my error in bright neon lights I could no longer unsee.
Mat 7:7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
Mat 7:8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
Mat 7:9 Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone?
Mat 7:10 Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent?
Mat 7:11 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?
God never intended to give me a serpent for fish, nor would he vex me in ways that would discourage me and stress my walk with Him. To think such was in essence, an indication my lack of knowledge of our creator was more abundant that I had believed.
I realize now how simple and seemingly harmless words and phrases can rob a person of joy and trust in a relationship with God. I also now know just how wrong I was, and lacking discernment to dismiss those words and phrases that caused me to not yield compete trust to a God, King, and Father who has never given me a reason not to trust Him.
I continue to try to learn all I can of who God is, knowing I will at times not succeed. I also know that God wants each of us to know Him and He would withold nothing from any of us if it brought us closer to Him. My mind is a simple one and not capable of knowing and understnding all there is about God, but from the human perspective, I understand the growing and learning process and know it does not end until our last breath.......but for us, that is just when itreally kicks into gear.
I tried to post this earlier in Bible Discussions but it was rejected/deleted. I am not sure why. No one contacted me. Maybe it was supposed to be in the blog section, so I'm trying again....with a few changes.
I was told long ago to becareful what you ask for especially during prayer. I was warned that should you pray for patience God woud flood you with those that would demand patience from you as a means of teaching you the patience you desired. This wa not an attractive method of obtaining my goal.
I also remember reading in a secular book that one's view of their parental fatheris projected onto what he/she calls God, trnsferring Him into a bigger, more dominate complete authority figure of the earthy parent.
So I struggled for a long time trying to be careful of wording, making every effort to be concise, exact and inclusive of details that matters most when asking God for anything. I wrecked my prayer life and now realize, with much shame, I fed a mistrust of the Good Father, until it became an uncontrollble beast.
But yesterday I was reminded of section of scripture that I had read often, but never aquired the understanding I presently have, which showed my error in bright neon lights I could no longer unsee.
Mat 7:7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
Mat 7:8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
Mat 7:9 Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone?
Mat 7:10 Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent?
Mat 7:11 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?
God never intended to give me a serpent for fish, nor would he vex me in ways that would discourage me and stress my walk with Him. To think such was in essence, an indication my lack of knowledge of our creator was more abundant that I had believed.
I realize now how simple and seemingly harmless words and phrases can rob a person of joy and trust in a relationship with God. I also now know just how wrong I was, and lacking discernment to dismiss those words and phrases that caused me to not yield compete trust to a God, King, and Father who has never given me a reason not to trust Him.
I continue to try to learn all I can of who God is, knowing I will at times not succeed. I also know that God wants each of us to know Him and He would withold nothing from any of us if it brought us closer to Him. My mind is a simple one and not capable of knowing and understnding all there is about God, but from the human perspective, I understand the growing and learning process and know it does not end until our last breath.......but for us, that is just when itreally kicks into gear.
I tried to post this earlier in Bible Discussions but it was rejected/deleted. I am not sure why. No one contacted me. Maybe it was supposed to be in the blog section, so I'm trying again....with a few changes.