A very short story

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Jilly81

Jan 16, 2011
The young woman sat in the courtroom, nervously awaiting her hearing. She had heard what seemed to be conflicting views regarding this judge. Some proclaimed he was severe, always exacting justice. Others insisted he was very kind and merciful. Regardless, she knew her fate was in his hands, and all the evidence was stacked against her. She was guilty of the crime with which she had been charged.

Her mind raced as her name was called. The judge told her he had already reviewed her case, and asked if she had anything to say in her own defense. Hands shaking, voice cracking, she managed to speak. "No, Sir. I'm the one on the security camera, breaking the fence. I honestly don't know why I did it. But I'm really not that bad of a person, compared to other people. And I've been told that you're nice, so I hope you'll let me off."

"Justice demands that the debt be paid in full" the authority replied sternly. "Repairing that fence will cost a king’s ransom, and the owner is extremely unhappy that it was destroyed. The fact that others have done worse things than you has no bearing whatsoever on the consequence of this crime."

Overwhelming horror set in as the woman realized she would have to toil many lifetimes to pay for the damage she had done. The gravity of how she wasn't as innocent in life as she had thought began to set in. Her life flashed before her eyes, especially scenes where she had hurt others, whether intentionally or not.

"Is there any way you can have mercy on me?" she sobbed. "I'm very poor. I’ll never finish paying off this debt!"

The judge spoke her name. When she looked up, she noticed that his countenance had changed.

"Approach the bench" he said. Trembling, she did so.

The judge handed her a parchment with writing on it.

"I acknowledge that the price for the crime of destroying The Judge's property was paid for by His Honor, Himself."

The woman looked into His kind, pure eyes. Love such as she had never seen was radiating from them.

"My child, it was My fence, but I forgive you. Sign the paper saying that your debt was completely fulfilled by Me, and you may go free."

She wrote her name on the contract, barely able to see through the tears of joy and relief.

She asked how she could pay Him back, and He smiled. "You can't. But there IS something you can do to say 'thank you'. Tell others about the grace you received, because they can have it also. Everyone needs forgiveness, whether they broke My fence or hurt one of My children. This gift is free for all who will accept it."

As she left the courtroom He waved, revealing a large scar on His palm.

Free outside, she gazed in awe at her own copy of the redemption paper, and noticed something startling.

It was written in blood.