Abortion and Embryonic Stem Cell Research

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 19, 2009
When does life start? Does it start at conception, birth, or somewhere in between? I’m not aware anyone knows for sure. When you abort a fetus or kill an embryo, for all you know, you are killing a living human being.

I have no problem making exceptions for women who are pregnant because they’ve been raped, or for women whose lives are in danger because of their pregnancies, but other than that, I find abortion and embryonic stem cell research indefensible.

The world, who Satan controls, feels differently. They think abortion and embryonic stem cell are wonderful. We are not of the world.

J

jerusalem

Jeremiah 1:5 before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations. i think that pretty much says it.......as for stem cells...people seem to forget that your own stem cells can be retrieved from the isolated pockets were they 'hide' in your body after you age and be relocated to the area of need with the same results. of course there isn't nearly as much money to be made doing it this way..... a wide variety of beneficial elements could also be routinely be obtained from the afterbirth of every birth everywhere as an option to resource. though i am certain your bill will not be reduced. abortionist's are constantly looking for ways to legitimize their trade and negate the bad publicity they get by finding as many ways as possible to make it appear beneficial

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
Jeremiah 1:5 before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations. i think that pretty much says it...
I dont know if that says nearly as much as yo want it too. God is omniscient of course he knew us before we were born. It doesnt really provide for when life begins though.

starfield

Jun 13, 2009
Life begins at conception. Killing innocent babies is injustice.

May 15, 2013
A 9-year-old Mexican girl, under the reported name of Dafne, gave birth to a baby girl on Jan. 27, 2013 in Jalisco, Mexico.
Both mother and child are at home and healthy, Dr. Enrique Rabago, director of Zoquipan Hospital, said at a press conference this morning.
The search continues, according to authorities, for the baby’s 17-year-old father, who may be criminally charged for having a sexual relationship with Dafne.
“Due to her young age, we don’t know if she is being entirely truthful,” says Lino Ginzalez Corona, spokesperson at Jalisco State Prosecutor’s Office, who received an account of the relationship from the young mother who describes a loving relationship.
According to Corona, the 17-year-old and Dafne were dating but the young girl is unwilling to release any further information regarding the association between the two.
Girl, 9, Gives Birth in Mexico - ABC News

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_youngest_birth_mothers

1 Corinthians 3:2

I gave you milk, not solid food, for you were not yet ready for it. Indeed, you are still not ready.

O

OwenHeidenreich

IT is murder. even more so if the person was raped. killing out of inconvenience is always going to be murder. God killed a man in genesis because he "spilled his seed" im sure he does not tolerate abortion. God even cares for the Sperm Cells. (genesis 38:9)

May 15, 2013
IT is murder. even more so if the person was raped. killing out of inconvenience is always going to be murder. God killed a man in genesis because he "spilled his seed" im sure he does not tolerate abortion. God even cares for the Sperm Cells. (genesis 38:9)
God had done that for the purpose that that brother suppose to fulfilled the agreement which he didn't by deceiving.

O

OwenHeidenreich

God had done that for the purpose that that brother suppose to fulfilled the agreement which he didn't by deceiving.
I don't know what you mean by that, but i used that quote from genesis 38 so try to make a point that God does not tolerate murder.

Mar 21, 2011
I don't know??

What does the Republican Party tell us to think on this matter?

I can't have an independent thought about this unless directed by the American Culture Wars.

G

Grey

Isn't there a type of stem cell you can get from the umbilical cord post birth? What do people think of that?

A

Abiding

stem cells are stem cells you dont need to use a fetus.

S

Shiloah

As I understand it, much of the stem research they're doing involves fertilization that has no chance of ever forming a viable fetus. That's the point. There's a degree of living tissue but no potential for development beyond that. These cells only last a few days. Again, there's no potential for a heart or a brain to develop. And without a heart or brain, there's no human being involved. These studies are done to improve the lives of human beings. That's their purpose. This testing isn't diabolical. People act like all scientists are immoral monsters. Yes, there's evil in the world, but there is also good. This type of work improves and even saves human lives.

I gotta admit. I think it's odd that people that fight to the death for tissue that's not even a human being are happy with the concept that most of the human race will end up in hell burning in never-ending torment. Weird stuff.

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
I don't know what you mean by that, but i used that quote from genesis 38 so try to make a point that God does not tolerate murder.
Thestory of Onan had nothing to do with spilling his seed and everything to do with not fulfilling his duty

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
I will not try to debate, as each must believe and give an account before God.
But scripture does speak to God's spirit being with John while in the womb, also there is scripture where God says He knew us in the womb, there are other scriptures, but I cannot recall, so hopefully another can post them.
As to this tissue not ever being viable, none can garrentee there is not life, for life is when life begins, the simple fact that the tissue grows by fertilization is life.
Why aborted or fertalized tissue is nessasary, makes no sence, as there are plenty of cord cells, and it has been shown that stem cells are in each of us, that are usable.
There are also those who willingly donate their own stem cells, without taking any life.
As to why any would be willing to fight, because these same do not want to come before God, knowing that a wrong before them , was ignored or set aside.
Now some might say that it is easy to speak against stem cell treatment, if you are not the one who suffers.
I do suffer a disease that could be cured by stem cells, so do my daughter and husband.
They and I would never want any stem cell taken from any child, or questionable fertilized tissue, never ever!
For we all will be called to give an account of self before God, and this is one I would not want to account for.

There are plenty of sources available that do not bring question or death from a child, so why the need to take such.
One should ask the real question? as why is the need for any questionable life? when God already has provided the stem cells needed?

I will say this much, I lived and witnessed to when abortion was considered a terrible act,
when it was being questioned for aproval for those extreme cases only.
And since, seen it also approved and made common place.
When abortion was a terrible act, I saw and knew all people saw life as being valued and precious.
When is was first allowed for extreme, it was touted as an act of compassion.
Yet since, compassion has been compramised more and more for profit, indivigual and corporate.
I remember it being touted as a right, and abortion was passed into law.
Since, I have seen rights taken more away from us than ever before, and life has lost its value in spirit and its value now is known only in dollars.

For many have forgotten value before God, and given into the value of dollar and worldly need.
And yet these same ask why the world is the way it is?

God bless
pickles

starfield

Jun 13, 2009
As I understand it, much of the stem research they're doing involves fertilization that has no chance of ever forming a viable fetus. That's the point. There's a degree of living tissue but no potential for development beyond that. These cells only last a few days. Again, there's no potential for a heart or a brain to develop. And without a heart or brain, there's no human being involved. These studies are done to improve the lives of human beings. That's their purpose. This testing isn't diabolical. People act like all scientists are immoral monsters. Yes, there's evil in the world, but there is also good. This type of work improves and even saves human lives.

I gotta admit. I think it's odd that people that fight to the death for tissue that's not even a human being are happy with the concept that most of the human race will end up in hell burning in never-ending torment. Weird stuff.
Most involved in these procedures don't believe that human life begins at conception and are utilitarianists anyway so of course they will consider them justifiable, but God does not go by utilitarian philosophy; the world will be judged by His standard alone which is the written Word. Just because the outcome of an action is pleasurable doesn't mean the action is morally defensible. Ethical alternatives to destroying an embryo are cord blood stem cells, adult stem cells. Also, ESCR does not somehow legitimize abortion.

...and please take the universalism/annihilationism gibberish elsewhere.

L

LadyOscar

This is what I've been debating for years. I believe that life is started when the heart starts to beat for the first time around the 3rd or 4th month of pregnancy. Some of the doctors I know refuse to do abortion (for health's sake) after that period of time. I am not pro abortion but I'm not against it either. There are reasons other than those you have written above that make abortion excusable. Oh and embrionic stem cell? It is what we need for the future. You have no idea how much it's worth for our health, our children's or our grandchildren's in the future. I'm not gonna sit my behind and wait until the death comes by and do nothing about it. We'll have to fight it. Embryonic stem cell is totally worth it, but when you mix God with science...you'll get pros and cons...as always...ah well.

john832

May 31, 2013
When does life start? Does it start at conception, birth, or somewhere in between? I’m not aware anyone knows for sure. When you abort a fetus or kill an embryo, for all you know, you are killing a living human being.

I have no problem making exceptions for women who are pregnant because they’ve been raped, or for women whose lives are in danger because of their pregnancies, but other than that, I find abortion and embryonic stem cell research indefensible.

The world, who Satan controls, feels differently. They think abortion and embryonic stem cell are wonderful. We are not of the world.
Life started in the Garden. The law of biogenesis states...

The law of biogenesis states that life only comes from already established life. This very important and fundamental scientific law can be credited to the work of Louis Pasteur and others. The findings rooted in repeated scientific experimentation and observation can be summarized as follows, Omne vivum ex ovo, which is Latin for, "all life is from life." - creationwiki

The egg and sperm are already alive and when they unite the zygote is alive. Life began in the garden.

Exo 21:22 If men strive, and hurt a woman with child, so that her fruit depart from her, and yet no mischief follow: he shall be surely punished, according as the woman's husband will lay upon him; and he shall pay as the judges determine.
Exo 21:23 And if any mischief follow, then thou shalt give life for life,
Exo 21:24 Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot,
Exo 21:25 Burning for burning, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.

If the fetus is harmed in any way, then those responsible are punished. If the fetus dies, it is a capital offense and the perpetrator(s) are to be executed.

The woman's right to choose is usually excersized just before conception occurs. In the case of rape or incest, there is still life there and it should not be terminated, but the rapist or incestous person should be.

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
If one wants to understand when life begins?
Look to creation, all life creates new life by a recieving or joining of some kind, birds and bees as said, :)and when done, life begins, is born.
Even we to be reborn, must call on Jesus, recieving His salvation, His Spirit into our souls so we may have life, eternal life!
Once life begins, life begins.

and yes, the cord does have many stem cells, and some parents today now have their child's cord saved and preserved for use in medical care, if needed.

God bless
pickles